Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Novices / Sub 4:30 Mentored thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

And another week rolls around...

Monday | Tuesday|Wedensday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|5m run|10 run|5 m run|rest|cross|20 LSR

(Link to original here)

First things first - a huge well done to the Dublin Half runners. As expected there were some very good performances so well done. Bank those positive vibes, remember the feeling of crossing the line and how good it feels because between 18 and 24 on the day you will be thinking back to that and using it as motivation to get you through the tough miles.

But for now put it out of your minds, that was last weeks focus and we have a new focus this week.

And this week is no big deal.

You've probably just read that and thought "HAH! Easy for him to say, smug git!"

But it's true. There are two 5 mile runs. At this stage you guys could run 5 miles without even thinking about it - they fit under the easy category. 10 miler mid week will take a bit of time but that's the only challenge, frankly. You've done loads (and loads) of 10s and further at this stage so what's the hassle? There is no hassle.

20 miles. Some of you have raced 13. You've all run 14 as a fall back, easy week. You've all run 16. You've all run 18. You can all run 20.

And once this week is over it's all gravy until the race.

Bit of a tip. Runners and racers tend to fall into two camps. There are "Associative" and "Dissociative" runners. What does that mean? Associative runners think about thier running while they are running. They calculate splits, think about the terrain, how they are feeling, stride length. Elites are associative.

Dissociative is the opposite. They ponder what they are going to cook for dinner. Write essays. Solve work problems. Admire teh scenery. Dream up posts for Boards :D

What they don't think about is the running.

Now we all flit from one to the other but if you want to maximize your running you do need to "tune in" every now and again to verify pace, how you feel and so on. Even to the point of having a mental checklist for every mile (is my HR where it should be? How are the legs? How's the breathing? Any aches and pains? Where is the pace?). You'll need to do it to stay on track during the 20 and you'll need it during the race.

And do you know how you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

What is that lunatic talking about now?!

If you set out to run 20 it seems huge. So don't. You know you can rattle off a 5 miler. So just do 4 sets of 5 miles. Seriously - it's the only way I get through my long runs. I focus on the first five and have a target time for those. Every mile I compare how I'm doing against that target. 2.5 miles is half way through and that comes up really fast. Then when that's put to bed my next goal is half way and so on. It helps me keep focussed on running associatively without having to concentrate on a huge long run and vast length of time.

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Total miles Overall | Comments
    Sub430|||||
    Rainbow|||||
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|||||
    Bally8|||||
    Goofygirl|||||
    Buck65|||||
    menoscemo|||||
    Shadyladee|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sub430|||||
    Rainbow|3|25|302|Half PB which I'm very happy with, missed a run due to cold and injury worries.|
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|||||
    Bally8|||||
    Goofygirl|||||
    Buck65|||||
    menoscemo|||||
    Shadyladee|||||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Sub430|||||
    Rainbow|3|25|302|Half PB which I'm very happy with, missed a run due to cold and injury worries.|
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|||||
    Bally8|||||
    Goofygirl|||||
    Buck65|||||
    menoscemo|3|21|399|1.48 in half. Should have been faster but got a few stitches at the end|
    Shadyladee|||||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

Sub430|||||
    Mr Marenghi|4|33|310|slow week, very tired but a good half marathon at 1hr 47mins|
    osnola ivax|||||
    Bally8|||||
    Goofygirl|||||
    Buck65|||||
    menoscemo|3|21|399|1.48 in half. Should have been faster but got a few stitches at the end|
    Shadyladee|||||

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Sub430|||||
    Mr Marenghi|4|33|310|slow week, very tired but a good half marathon at 1hr 47mins|
    osnola ivax|||||
    Bally8|||||
    Goofygirl|4|33|362|I love running, I love running, I love running|
    Buck65|||||
    Shadyladee|||||

What can I say? I love running. I don't know why I'm so particularly enamoured with running right now, this week was nothing special: I didn't set any PBs, I didn't increase the distance of my longest run, most of the time I was cranky with exhausation actually. But after a Sunday spent resting, eating and going to see "Fame" in the cinema I'm already looking forward to my 10 milers tomorrow.

I love running.

Even if I am not very fast nor will ever be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Sub430|||||
    osnola ivax|4|31.3|386|most mileage in about 4 weeks, delighted with half marathon time of 1:44|
    Bally8|||||
    Buck65|||||
    Shadyladee|||||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

QUOTE=osnola ivax;62292193]Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Total miles Overall | Comments
    Sub430|||||
    osnola ivax|4|31.3|386|most mileage in about 4 weeks, delighted with half marathon time of 1:44|
    Bally8|||||
    Buck65|3|29|must get round to counting up!|18 miler done|
    Shadyladee|||||[/QUOTE

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thanks for the pep talk amadeus. :) It all makes sense. Even though I dont add my entries to the weekly log, I do read it to see what I ought to be doing, even if I cant follow to the mile. Something I noticed this week, and wanted to mention, was that over the last few months, without realising, I had started to run 'tense'. To the point that someone on the ten mile told me to relax my fists. :) When I injured my knee last week, the only way I could continue to run was by making sure my legs had no tension. The effect of that for the half was mad, I did a pb with what felt like less effort, I thought Id be slower. I just mention it for what its worth, so that when people are running in the associative way you mention, they conciously try to relax. I had no idea how tense Id gotten and how tiring that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

Is anybody else here based in Dublin ?

Im thinking off trying to do my 20miler on the marathon route. Maybe from mile 6 to the end. Is this a good idea ? I guess I may spend a lot of time standing at traffic lights !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Just wanted to applaud everyone on what seems to be great progress, some of the times on Saturday for the half were fantastic. Only one month to go!! Have to wish everyone the best for the final months training. I think there may even be some sub 4 time looking at the half results!!!
    Also a big thanks to Amadeus from all those non posting sub 4:30 hopefuls following this thread for some great tips and advice. I think you'll need help drinking all the pints your due on the 26th!!!

Is anybody else here based in Dublin ?

Im thinking off trying to do my 20miler on the marathon route. Maybe from mile 6 to the end. Is this a good idea ? I guess I may spend a lot of time standing at traffic lights !

I am in Dublin, I think I may have done most of the troute at one time or another . Unfortunately i will probably be no good to you. the only good time to run the route would be saturday or sunday during the day and i am workign both days. i wouldn't like to do it at night as it might be a bit unsafe in parts....I will probably do my 20 mile run up and down the Chapelizod Road on friday evening...with the late nigths it is hard to find a long route that is suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

buck65 wrote: »
    QUOTE=osnola ivax;62292193]Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Total miles Overall | Comments
    Sub430|0|0|0|306| Another week off, marathon may be my next run.:eek:
    Bally8|||||
    Shadyladee|||||[/QUOTE

Well done to all on the half times.

I've had a bit of a mare, went to physio re knee and got some exercises from her to strengthen calf and quads. I pushed myself too hard and ended up pulling my left calf :(.
    Physio again on Wednesday so I'll more than likely be reporting on breaking my hip this time next week. :rolleyes:
    I'd say I'll be looking at a couple of weeks for the calf to settle down going on past experience so the marathon could be my long run. At this stage it will be a case of just getting to the starting line and finishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Just wondering what times the rest of the hot young speedsters on here are now aiming for on the Big Day in light of all the PBs set in the half?

I still don't know whether I should just concentrate on finishing or choose a time goal. Half time last month was 1:57:59. Thoughts anyone?

Also are other people registered for the 4:15+ corral or is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm still aiming for 4:30 as a bonus goal, with just finishing as the main goal. McMillan suggests 4:10-ish based on my half time, but I don't think I'm in that kind of shape, definitely not enough miles in the legs. I'm also registered for the 4:15+ corral.

Firstly, congrats to all my allstar comrades on the fantastic times in the half on Saturday. Let's face it, we were all feckin brilliant.

@sub430, sorry to hear about your ongoing injury problems. You attitude is second to none.

Just in relation to your question goofy girl. Macmillan has me at a 3:40 marathon, but no way is that possible. My longest lsr is 17.6 miles and I will run a 20 this weekend. It's very hard to know how you are gonna react in the last 6 miles so I kinda made up my mind today to stick to the original sub 4 hour plan.

Would love to come in under 4.30, just finishing the damn thing will be the aim though so be it 4.20 or 5 hrs I will be happy.

Sub430, relax, loads of time to heal up. Don't rush and we'll get you to the start line no worries.

On times and targets...

I think it is a good idea to set a time target for your first marathon. If nothing else it gives you a pace to run to to prevent you going too fast early on or too slow late on. But I do think it should be a conservative target as you will still be taking a big step into the unknown.

I know I've told you this story before, but... When I trained for my first everything was geared (like you guys) around a sub 4:30. LSRs were 10 min/mile and everything was wel set. But then in the last few weeks of training and going through the taper my speed picked up and I started thinking that sub 4 was possible.

So that's the pace I set out at. And that's the pace I was going when the wheels fell off at 18 miles or so. And I walked a fair chunk of the rest of the race and even had a few treacherous thoughts about quitting.

I finished in 4:23. A time I would have been delighted with a few weeks before but I was really disappointed.

Moral of teh story? It's better to set and beat a conservative target finishing strongly and feeling good than to limp painfully over the line having missed an ambitious target and finishing at a walk.

Plenty of time for fast marathons in the future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Sub430|0|0|0|306|
    Bally8|4|28|332|Delighted to be back|
    Shadyladee|||||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Thrilled to be back from injury. Not fully recovered but Im doing all I can to get to the starting line on the 26th. The 18 miles on Sunday was very tough. At the end I dont think I could have ran another foot. Im extra daunted by the 26 miles now but I know I can do it. At the end of June I had never ran further than 6.2 miles. Im still shuffling around the place today, I didnt stretch enough after run on Sunday. My hamstrings have kind of given up on me.

Timewise as I've said all along I would like to get in under 5 hours, I would be thrilled with 4.45. Dont see myself going faster as I think I will slow considerably in the last 10k.

• Advertisement

Good to see you back :)

I forgot to mention the other news - I was listed as a sub pacer in case anyone pulled out. As I mentioned in teh Dublin 09 thread no-one has yet but one of teh 4 hr guys has a slight knock so I have officially been drafted in. Another good reason to stick with a 4:30 target, you get to avoid my bad jokes and cheerleading efforts for 26 miles :D

Good to see you back :)

I forgot to mention the other news - I was listed as a sub pacer in case anyone pulled out. As I mentioned in teh Dublin 09 thread no-one has yet but one of teh 4 hr guys has a slight knock so I have officially been drafted in. Another good reason to stick with a 4:30 target, you get to avoid my bad jokes and cheerleading efforts for 26 miles :D

not all of us, hmmmm the thick plottens, mentored and paced home?!?, how many pints does that equal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

not all of us, hmmmm the thick plottens, mentored and paced home?!?, how many pints does that equal?

If both targets are hit then a lot :)

I have always had a sub 4hour goal in mind. All of my LSR's have been done at around 9 minute miles or slightly below, so I am going to stick with the sub 4 goal.
    After speaking to OI last weekend I think I am convinced that running with the pacer is the way to go, So hopefully Krusty and Amadeus can bring me round on target. I promise you at least 3 pints each lads if you do!! Between myself and OI you are going to be ratarsed Boss :D

QUOTE=Bally8;62306600]Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Total miles Overall | Comments
    Sub430|0|0|0|306|
    Bally8|4|28|332|Delighted to be back|
    Buck65|3|29|must get round to counting up!total is 313|18 miler done|
    Shadyladee|||||[/QUOTE

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Wilbury

Sub430, relax, loads of time to heal up. Don't rush and we'll get you to the start line no worries.

On times and targets...

I think it is a good idea to set a time target for your first marathon. If nothing else it gives you a pace to run to to prevent you going too fast early on or too slow late on. But I do think it should be a conservative target as you will still be taking a big step into the unknown.

I know I've told you this story before, but... When I trained for my first everything was geared (like you guys) around a sub 4:30. LSRs were 10 min/mile and everything was wel set. But then in the last few weeks of training and going through the taper my speed picked up and I started thinking that sub 4 was possible.

So that's the pace I set out at. And that's the pace I was going when the wheels fell off at 18 miles or so. And I walked a fair chunk of the rest of the race and even had a few treacherous thoughts about quitting.

I finished in 4:23. A time I would have been delighted with a few weeks before but I was really disappointed.
    Moral of teh story? It's better to set and beat a conservative target finishing strongly and feeling good than to limp painfully over the line having missed an ambitious target and finishing at a walk.

Plenty of time for fast marathons in the future!
    Do you know that is probably the best advice a 'first timer' can bring to the start line. It is such a simple piece of advice, but it is very difficult to execute.
    When you arrive at the start line you will be raring to go. You will feel great after your taper, pumped with adrenaline, full of enthusiasm and caught up in the euphoria it is so easy to get carried away and go out far too fast. If you are really cute you will have a sensible plan and stick to it.

In 2007 I was at; half; 1.43.18 30k; 2.28.27 finish; 3.44.28

In 2008 I was at; half; 1.48.33 30k;2.33.02 finish; 3.35.01

The difference was in the 2nd year I took the advice (and I was able to walk the next day!). Remember:
    If you think you are going too fast..... you probably are!

@ wilbury, those stats are unbelievable, that's another great post from you as you are living proof that pacing from the start is the clever way to go

Knee niggle is back to haunt me this week again so no running til Saturday's 20 miler. Frustrating though.

Sorry to hear that. Be careful on the 20 - don't do an out and back route that could see your knee give serious grief with you 7 or 8 miles from home. Better to try and plan a short loop so that you are never more than a couple of miles away from getting off your feet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Wilbury wrote: »
    In 2007 I was at; half; 1.43.18 30k; 2.28.27 finish; 3.44.28

In 2008 I was at; half; 1.48.33 30k;2.33.02 finish; 3.35.01

hmmm where you in better shape or do you put it down to better pacing alone? Nicely done by the way.

Advertisement