Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Novices / Sub 4:30 Mentored thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Total miles Overall | Comments
    Sub430|||||
    Rainbow|||||
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|||||
    Bally8|||||
    Goofygirl|4|21|453|bleugh ice and snow|
    Buck65|||||
    menoscemo|||||
    Shadyladee|||||

Horrific week of running weather-wise, topped off by an 8 miler this morning though black ice and compacted snow. Had to slow the pace a lot to make sure didn't slip. Bleugh bleugh bleugh.

Bought new runners yesterday though (well, exact same size, model and brand) and the difference was phenomenal. I think my aching calves during the week were in part attributable to how trashed my old runners were. Crazy - I only bought them at the end of May. I suppose I still haven't fully registered how much I've upped the mileage!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

GG - I bought new shoes in late June just before my half then, and replaced them after my 20-miler a couple of weeks ago. It's amazing how quickly you go through them when training!

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

Sub430|4|21|360|Tick tock...|
    Rainbow|||||
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|||||
    Bally8|||||
    Buck65|||||
    menoscemo|||||
    Shadyladee|||||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Rainbow|||||
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|||||
    Bally8|3|14|405.5|Achilles sore again but its not going to stop me running this marathon|
    Buck65|||||
    menoscemo|||||
    Shadyladee|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Rainbow|||||
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|4|28|453|
    Bally8|3|14|405.5|Achilles sore again but its not going to stop me running this marathon|
    Buck65|||||
    menoscemo|||||
    Shadyladee|||||

8 days to go, no turning back now, we've all done brilliantly to get this far, now let's finish the job. This is the marathon, not a mini marathon marathon or a half marathon marathon, this is the full 26 point fuppin 2 mile actual marathon, and it's only a week away, come on allstars

• Advertisement

Rainbow|3|13|369|Mojo coming back, but have delayed 8-miler until tomorrow because of college work|
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|4|28|453|
    Buck65|||||
    menoscemo|||||
    Shadyladee|||||

GO TEAM!

*cue Rocky music*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

I've been out most of the week, had a sore ankle, just basically had pain in it when I ran from the 12miles last wknd. Did 4 miles on Tuesday but could still feel it.

So feels good today, gonna go running tomoro......but how much have i lost this last week not running ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I've been out most of the week, had a sore ankle, just basically had pain in it when I ran from the 12miles last wknd. Did 4 miles on Tuesday but could still feel it.

So feels good today, gonna go running tomoro......but how much have i lost this last week not running ?

A week won't have done hugh damage at all. You have the miles in the bag as it is. If anything it was a radical taper. Can you cross train? Instead of the 2 short runs this week, maybe hop on the cross trainer or the bike ... if not rest up and eat well.

This day next week ... how is everyone feeling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭zenmonk

A bit nervous, wish it was tomorrow!

• Advertisement

zenmonk wrote: »
    A bit nervous, wish it was tomorrow!

Wish it was in 6 weeks!

I suppose it's like an exam, no matter how much study you have done, you never think it's enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ULstudent wrote: »
    This day next week ... how is everyone feeling?

e3xcited more than anything. can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ado43

Hi Folks,
    i know i am a bit late getting in on this but i am doing my first marathon next mon and i am delighted to see there are a lot of people with similar problems/queries to me. I am also troubled by my achilles from an old injury but i have sacrificed a lot to train seriously for the last six months and it is not going to stop me at this stage. i am definitely starting to feel a lot more apprehensive about the race as it nears but hopefully on the day, that will dissappear. Does anyone have any advice re. food the day before etc?:)

Hi ado43,

Stay tuned, our learned friend and mentor Amadeus should be posting about nutrition this week - once he gets back from Hamsterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Best of luck folks - hopefully everyone has a great run and an even better time :)

Trig

Rainbow|3|13|369|Mojo coming back, but have delayed 8-miler until tomorrow because of college work|
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|4|28|453|
    Buck65|||||
    menoscemo|4|21|487|getting excited :D|
    Shadyladee|||||

3m in 27m08 - avg HR 151, enjoyed that.

This time next week...haven't had a pint in 6 weeks. Bejaysus porter will get socks on Monday. Straight through the finish line and on to O'Donoghues on Merrion Row for a swift one without stopping, jog on the spot at the bar then motor on to the Conrad :cool:

(That or collapse over the line):o

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

Hi guys,
    just popping the head in to wish ye all the very best of luck for Monday, I wish I was going to be there with ye but alas, maybe next year.

Ye have all worked so hard, hope the mental preparation is going well and will be thinking of ye on the day....and looking forward to hearing all about it in the race reports :) I'm sure I'll be like last year...reading them with tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat. Best of luck and enjoy yerselves-ye deserve great success :D

So excited and emotional about this thing you'd swear I was getting married or something. Finally Canadian and Irish weather systems are on a par and I went for a run this evening in the dark and drizzle.

Have an overnight flight home on Wednesday so have started packing already. Every bit of my running kit is going in to my hand luggage: the last thing I need is for my bags to disappear en route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Did you miss me? :p

Right then, we really are in the final throes of it now. Shortish post now about the last few days with a more detailed post about race day either later today or in the next couple of days.

Right about now you are probably feeling really good. Your body has been re-building and the drop in training loads means that the constant background fatigue is gone. If you are running now it's probably difficult to keep the pace down and the distances short.

In other words the taper is working it's magic!

(Don't worry if you don't feel like that by the way - a lot depends on how sharp your taper is and different people react in different ways).

I have stressed a few times the importance of quality diet and quality rest. For the next couple of days don't change around your diet or hydration, just keep eating quality food, lots of fruit and veg and plenty of good carbs. The only thing to watch is portions - you're training load has dropped so your calorie requirements are lower. Still eating huge meals is a good way to gain a little extra weight between now and race day.

On Friday your strategy changes and you start carb loading (good article here, bottom of teh page).

You may hear people talking about carb depletion prior to loading and how you need to eat low carbs for a few days to deplete your stores prior to building them up again - bodybuilders in particular stick to this so it is the advice you will get in a sports nutrition shop.

THEY ARE WRONG

Carb depletion is now largely discredited for endurance athletes, you just need to load, not deplete.

Instead from Friday morning start to eat foods that are high in carbs - the less processed the better. Brown bread and porridge for brekkie, brown bread sarnies for lunch, brown rice or wholemeal pasta for dinner. Don't worry too much about the balance of foods (protein, fats, carbs) - you don't need to be scientific and weigh stuff, just make sure that the food has lots of slow release carbs and you'll be fine.

I can't remember the exact proportions but your body needs to store approx. 4 grms of water for every 1 grm of carbs so you'll also need to up your fluid intake. This will help your body store teh glycogen it needs while also leaving you well hydrated for teh race.

Personally I also use a carb loading drink. I went into Holland and Barret and got a big tub of it for €20 (it's a blue tub, can't remember the name of it but the staff will get it for you). Add 2 scoops to 500mls of water and you have the ideal carb:fluid mix, keeps you topped up and easy to do. I normally drink 1.5L of that for each of teh 3 days before the race with another 500mls the morning of the race.

Race day itself I'll talk about later but for now stay clear of people with coughs or sneezes, look three times before crossing the road, walk up stairs, avoid walking under ladders and feel free to wrap yourself in cotton wool.

You're highly trained athletes now, 3 months of slog has gone into getting you here so live like an athlete for the rest of this week and Monday will go well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Did you miss me? :p

Race day itself I'll talk about later but for now stay clear of people with coughs or sneezes, look three times before crossing the road, walk up stairs, avoid walking under ladders and feel free to wrap yourself in cotton wool.

Great advice thanks amadeus. This made me smile. I actually slipped halfway down my shairs last week, massive bruise on my ass and spent yesterday blowing my nose endlessly after getting a cold for the first time in forever! But bring on Monday :D

Blueskye wrote: »
    Great advice thanks amadeus. This made me smile. I actually slipped halfway down my shairs last week, massive bruise on my ass and spent yesterday blowing my nose endlessly after getting a cold for the first time in forever! But bring on Monday :D

haha i work part time in the evenings and yesterday evening one of my work mates had the sniffles so i stayed away from her all night and made her stay on the tills and everytime a customer came to the till and was coughing or stuffed up i used alcohol gel on my hands(the one that they have around for the prevention of pig flu).

Talk about been paranoid!!

ULstudent wrote: »
    Talk about been paranoid!!
    I'm hitting the paranoia stage too, my sister has a seasonal flu at the moment so I'm kinda trying to avoid being in the same room as her when I'm at home! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭RunHomerRun

As Per Amadeus
    Right about now you are probably feeling really good. Your body has been re-building and the drop in training loads means that the constant background fatigue is gone. If you are running now it's probably difficult to keep the pace down and the distances short.

I was feeling grrrrrreeeeeeaaaaat :D (as Tony the tiger from Frosties cereal adverts used to say) - over the weekend.

Then Monday morning - sore throat, sneezing, sniffles, headaches, coughing....all good stuff. :(

I kinda thought with all the training recently, that my body was fit and healthy - and immune system strong as an Ox.
    My better half reckons because I am training more than usual - my immune system is actually weak - hence the cold (just got over another 1 approx 3 weeks ago - and none before that for a few years)

Maybe she's right.

Either way, I downing Manuka honey and lemon like its going out of fashion.:)

Really really looking forward (and nervous too - first marathon) to Monday morning now - just want this cold to flip off...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I just had my last session of physio, and am winding down into my last few short runs. Cant say I feel wonderful, Im still tired, and my legs are still carrying some leftover fatigue. But hey, 5 days left and nowt left to do really. So hopefully all will be well.

Like the rest of you, I'm avoiding sneezing people like they have leprosy, and using hand gel every few hours. If my kids develop a cough I think Ill temporarily leave home. Paranoid? Moi? :D

I didn't do a run yesterday and my legs were all full of nervous energy, twitching all the time. It's like they are asking me to take them out for a run:D I guess this is a good thing and I am raring to go/get it over with. This weather is really depressing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IronTractorBoy

I have just come across this thread and I thought I should post something on here as one of the sub 4:30 pacers.

RE: Colds, I am taking Vitamin C and Echinea at the moment due to working in a Hospital (not the main building).

At the moment I would be concentrating on various mental techniques to get you through the tough parts as you have cut down on the training volumes. There are still times that I struggle which I find having techniques already in-place really helpful. These can be songs, keywords, memories of somebody/somewhere it is what ever works for you.

I'm finding it really difficult to keep the runs short and slow at the moment. However, today I'll have a transatlantic flight, a night of missed sleep, lady monthly issues (no more needs to be said) and 7 hours time difference to contend with so I'm sure that will knock some of the energy out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

goofygirl wrote: »
    I'm finding it really difficult to keep the runs short and slow at the moment. However, today I'll have a transatlantic flight, a night of missed sleep, lady monthly issues (no more needs to be said) and 7 hours time difference to contend with so I'm sure that will knock some of the energy out of me.

Jet lag should be sorted by Monday, will it ?

• Advertisement

It bloody well better be.

Advertisement