Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Novices / Sub 4:30 Mentored thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

Question - is this it for the rest of you or are some of you going to attempt this lunacy again?

I'm off marathons after this one, realised I am made of too many bits that can break and usually do after about 16 miles (sitting here at my desk with an ice pack around my knee as physio says my medial knee ligament has a slight strain but should be ok).

I'm sticking to the shorter stuff from now on. Any interest in mentoring a 30 metre dash group next year Amadeus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'm like you Sub 430, I'll be sticking to the short stuff after this escapade, trying to improve PBs in 5k 10k etc...maybe there'll be another marathon in the long term future though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

I think i'm gonna concentrate on 10ks and half marathons after this. I like training for the half marathon, nowhere near the same pressure but still decent mileage and you can give 10k's a good lash.

Never say never though, I mean you will be setting a marathon distance time now, and thats when the real trouble starts, .............beating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

In my youth I once downed a bottle of red wine (the only thing respectable about this was the time) - that PB has been unchallenged since. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

I hope to continue on, unless I absolutely hate the experience, which I probably won't.

Maybe Connemara, or Berlin next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

I'm already trying to decide what my next one will be...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Im not saying whether Ill do another till this one is done, it will depend on how horrible this turns out to be.:) Im doing tough guy again in January, so that will be my next big aim. I like to have a big target all the time though, so my intention is to start triathlon training next year, and maybe do Gaelforce. I like running, but I need something that takes a lesser toll on the joints, so I dont see myself doing an Eddie Izzard any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IronTractorBoy

Connemara is vastly hillier compared to this, I did the ultra their this year and made that mistake of not fully checking the route.

I am also a referee fitness coordinator, so I do lots of 30m sprints and drills in an hour training session. I find them tougher than a long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sub430 wrote: »
    Question - is this it for the rest of you or are some of you going to attempt this lunacy again?
    I think I will, if all goes well on Monday. Possibly looking at doing Connemara or Cork next year. Really depends how much running time the workload of my masters gives me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

*waves hand over crystal ball*

<eerie voice>

I see you all crossing the finish line on Monday...

You are all speaking...

"Never again!" you all say!

But wait...

The mists clear again...

A few weeks later, your legs have healed....

You're all entering more marathons...

</eerie voice>

Seriously, everyone I know says "never again" and - without exception - they all end up thinking about another pretty soon after the stiffness fades.

• Advertisement

Right work has gone a bit nuts and I'm off to th eUK on Friday so I'm putting in your last minute checks now. Yes, we really are that close.

This post will be all about the 48 hours before the race and a second, longer, post will follow about the morning of the race and the race itself.

~~~

The standard advice is to get teh best possible nights sleep 2 days before teh race (ie the Sat night for us). This is because you'll be keyed up and nervous the night before and probably won't get a lot of sleep on the Sunday. I've usually been travelling the night 48 hours in advance and sleep like a baby anyway but it's good generic advice. If you are staying in a hotel then make sure you bring *everything* you might need, just to be on the safe side. I mean literally, if you are a fussy sleeper who needs a particular number of pillows or whatever then bring your own.

If you are travelling then I would pack running kit separately if possible and I certainly wouldn't let my race gear out of my sight until it's in teh hotel room. Even at that I always wear an old pair of race trainers when I'm travelling to the event on the assumption that I can buy socks, shorts and a T at the expo but new shoes are too big a gamble. It's also good to be in comfortable, supportive footwear to prevent any foot or legs aches and pains when wandering around teh Expo, etc.

And speaking of shoes and comfort trim your toenails now. Put teh laptop down and get the nail scissors. It's ok, I'll wait.

The reason is that you want your nails short to stop them impacting on teh end of your trainers on teh day (trust me, it hurts) but you want a couple of days growth in case you overdo it.

You'll also be fizzing with energy at this stage so try and keep it reigned in. It's always tempting if you have travelled to a race to go for a wander around teh shops or teh sights or whatever. Don't! Save all that glycogen for teh race! Do though make sure that you keep up your carb loading routine and don't be afraid of a glass of beer or wine with your meal - you're an athlete not a monk.

And lastly try and keep your mind right. Think of the positives, batter down butterflies with positive self talk and visualize teh finish line and how you'll feel crossing it. I usually end up reading sports biographies in teh couple of days before a race (Joe Calzhage and "The Damned Utd" in teh week before Am'dam for example).

And try and cut your significant other some slack. They don't understand (unless they run) and tehy are wondering who this wierd geeky and obsessive running nerd is and where their lovely wife / sister / girlfriend / son / boyfriend / husband / whatever has gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

and don't forget the clocks are going BACK on sunday!

Thank you sir, don't know if you read my log recently or not but the itbs has calmed down a bit through exercises and Physio so I'm giving it a go on Monday. I would regret it too much if I didn't at least try.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks again. I look forward to meeting you at 8:45am Monday and I hope to cross the line with you at 10:59am. In that time you can regail me of tales of yossi benayouns hat trick against Man u the previous day and how Liverpool will be sold to rich Arabs who will bring in a new sane manager and a host of Liverpool class players, ridding the club of dross such as ngog, voronin, lucas etc, and how we will completely turn our season around............ Ok really am dreaming now.

Anyway, we'll have a pint, my shout ;)

24hrs Pre - Race
    You need to get your packing sorted, in terms of race day kit.

I basically open my kit box and stand in front of it imagining myself on the start line and then - from the feet up - picturing what I'm wearing. As I picture it I pull it out of the box and lay it on the bed. Shoes first, socks on top. Shorts above that, T shirt above that. Hat if I'm wearing it. HRM strap & GPS watch. Then I get the gels or whatever and the pins I'll need to keep it all in place. I used to actually put it all on to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything but I'm over that now!

I then put that to one side and I picture myself at the finish line. What will I want / need? A warm top (fleece is ideal). Maybe a clean pair of socks, probably a dry T shirt. Food / drink I ignore - the organisers will have that.

Once all that is sorted then I imagine the start. What would I want that isn't already covered? A throw away T maybe? Or a binbag. If you have them or can get them a couple of cable ties to hold the chip are handy.

Once I have all of that stuff pulled out I then go back through teh whole lot a second time to check that I do have everything.

After the expo pin your number on your T shirt the night before (ideally before the Expo closes, just in case). Fill in teh details on the back and try it on to make sure that the number hangs comfortably. Fasten the chip to your shoe and again try on to make sure it's ok.

Race Morning
    The race starts at 9am so you'll want to be up at 6am for breakfast. Forget vanity, if you are in a hotel get yourself downstairs before a shower and get eating. You know the drill - brown bread, porridge, etc. I have to admit though I usually stuff my face with croissants and pain au chocolate! Plenty of OJ and if you normally drink coffee then have a cup of that too.

You want to finish eating by 6:30 - 6:45 (certainly no later than 7). Up and try and snooze if you can. Quick shower but don't bother with deodorant (a lot of them include antiperspirant and you want to be sweating as it helps you cool). Pit stop if you can and then into your race kit.

How early you get to the start is up to you. I like to be there an hour before so I can get my bearings, soak up the atmosphere and get changed and bag checked in plenty of time and without heavy queues. Again it's personal preference but I drink my last 500mls of carb drink at this stage, normally finishing 30 mins or more before the start. And normally at that point I join a loo Q because if you don't join when you don't need to go you'll end up peeing against a wall! I always pee twice before a race, once at the hotel and once as close to the start as I can. Last thing you want is to stop during teh race.

Line up conservatively in teh pens, no point pushing to the front because you are on chip time and the crowd will thin on teh course quickly enough. And it's better to be passing than being passed. And if you see a dashingly handsome Donegal man in yellow and holding a black balloon say Hi :D

The Race
    Relax. Standing in teh pen with minutes to go is teh best and worst place to be. My normal HR during the day is high 60s, low 70s. On teh start line it'll be up over 100 just standing there from the adrenaline. Relax, smile, chat to people around you if you want. Avoid low flying clothing or bin bags and soak it up. First marathon of many...

The gun will go, there will be a cheer and then....nada. You'll be standing there like a lemon. Eventually after an eternity (in reality anything from a few seconds to a minute) the crowd will begin to shuffle forward. Don't bother trying to run at this stage, just shuffle with them - it'll probably be stop start at first. As you get closer to the start teh crowd will suddenly free up a little and you'll see a spongy red mat under your feet. That's it - the fabled start line. Run over it and into your stride. Well done, you made it!

Avoid teh temptation to weave in and out - you're just adding distance and probably running too fast. If the people in front are too slow wait for a gap and pop through between them rather than running around them. Or be assertive - stretch out your hand between them and shout "coming through!" or "excuse me!". Be aware of people behind you as well - try and let people past if you can and going around corners or changing direction to pass people (especially early in teh race) make sure you aren't cutting people up. And if you must spit or snot rocket make sure that no one is in your line of fire!

The crowd will thin after a mile or so. I prefer to manually record my distance splits (mile or km) rather than let the GPS do it as the GPS will record distance run not distance raced (not the same thing - weaving around people or running wide on corners adds distance - Am'dam was 42.76kms by my Garmin, for example). Depending on teh GPS could give you a false idea of pace and manually recording splits means you see each one, giving you instant performance feedback.

After the crowd has thinned think about that racing line. Look up the course and stay as close to the corners as you can, running wide might not seem like it adds much but it will over 26 miles! And enjoy the crowd - high 5 the kids and soak up teh applause. For today you get the adulation that a professional sportsperson gets, so make the most of it. Some little kid might get a high 5 off you that one day inspires them to run a marathon and every adult on the sidelines wishes they were fit, strong, dedicated and capable enough to do exactly what you'll be doing. So milk it!

Pacing has been done to death on other threads, you know how that works but do consider a pace band if you aren't going to be with the sub 4:30 pace group.

If you see a photographer make sure your hands aren't blocking your number and try and give a thumbs up or a smile (in all my photos I look like a mobile heart attack, not a good look). Remember the holy grail of marathon photos is one with both feet in the air because that proves you were running!

Sprint finishes are great for show - teh crowds will be 3 and 4 deep at teh railings along teh finish straight so give them a show. Put your foot down a bit, smile, wave, hands in teh air and hog that limelight!

Post Race
    Conrad Hotel, Earlsfort Terrace. Drink beer, trade war stories :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I look forward to meeting you at 8:45am Monday and I hope to cross the line with you at 10:59am.

:eek: Something you haven't been telling us OI?! Out to break a world record?!

Thank you sir, don't know if you read my log recently or not but the itbs has calmed down a bit through exercises and Physio so I'm giving it a go on Monday. I would regret it too much if I didn't at least try.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks again. I look forward to meeting you at 8:45am Monday and I hope to cross the line with you at 10:59am. In that time you can regail me of tales of yossi benayouns hat trick against Man u the previous day and how Liverpool will be sold to rich Arabs who will bring in a new sane manager and a host of Liverpool class players, ridding the club of dross such as ngog, voronin, lucas etc, and how we will completely turn our season around............ Ok really am dreaming now.

Anyway, we'll have a pint, my shout ;)

Yeah, I saw you were back in, great news! Fingers crossed you'll be fine on the day and I promise I will bully you over the line if I have to ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

In that time you can regail me of tales of yossi benayouns hat trick against Man u the previous day
    This... this is how I know you're living in dreamland ;)

I'm wondering whether it's a good idea to follow the 4:30 pacer... 10:xx per mile seems to be fairly standard for me on long runs, but tbh I think my time is going to be more like 4:45-5:00, so would I be going out too fast by following the pink balloon?

xebec wrote: »
    :eek: Something you haven't been telling us OI?! Out to break a world record?!

jaysuuuss, and I work in finance, try 12:59, phew!!

jaysuuuss, and I work in finance, try 12:59, phew!!

And that folks is how the country wound up where it is ;)

This... this is how I know you're living in dreamland ;)

I'm wondering whether it's a good idea to follow the 4:30 pacer... 10:xx per mile seems to be fairly standard for me on long runs, but tbh I think my time is going to be more like 4:45-5:00, so would I be going out too fast by following the pink balloon?

Only you can answer that.

But I would expect you to be faster on teh day than on your LSRs

• Advertisement

And that folks is how the country wound up where it is ;)

That's finance generally now, not the Dept. Of ..... Just in case anyone decides to protest as I run past on Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

That's finance generally now, not the Dept. Of ..... Just in case anyone decides to protest as I run past on Monday

Or starts pelting you with rotten eggs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks for everything Amadeus and good luck to everyone on the day. As you can see my Post count is 999, and being the supersticious type, I am going to leave 1000 for the race report......if you don't see any report on monday, that will probably be good news as I am likley to be in the Conrad drinking the bar dry :D

I hope you can get me round in sub-4 big A, I give you full permission to drag me by the ear if necessary. I will make sure to introduce myself before the race, I will be wearing a Boards AC snglet so you can't miss me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Thanks a million Amadeus. I have been kind of freaking out, worring about everything and those posts have gone along way to helping me calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Brilliant, brilliant posts as ever Amadeus. I know I'm not an official All-star but I kinda feel like one at this stage cos I've always been around the same stage in my training. So for the big day can I be an honorary allstar - won't let you down boss, honest! Thanks for all the motivation, it's been fab:) Hope to see you all in 4:59:59 (or 4:40 if the stars align, my legs float and I don't need to stop for the usual (ahem) toiletry issues...). Go All-stars!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭RunHomerRun

Completely concur with racheljev, simply brilliant posts by Amadeus.

This is my first marathon, and I have lots of small, niggly little questions.
    Defo an element of the fear of the unknown.
    All of the questions I wanted to ask, was afraid to ask, was unsure to ask, and unsure of probably how to ask - have been brialliantly covered and answered by Amadeus.

Thanks Amadeus - some of the fear of the unknown has now been allayed. :)

Really, really looking forward to the marathon, lots of nerves too.
    Unfortunately, my body has picked a brilliant time to get a cold / flu. :(
    Coughing, sneezing, aches and pains since Monday.
    In bed at 5.30 yesterday evening, lots of hot lemon, vit C, manuka honey and other lovely concoctions have been consumed.
    Not really carb loading at the moment but lemon loading.
    Today, Friday, Sat and Sun to get this out of my system!
    I'd really love to go for a short run - but nothing doing this week at all

Monday 9am Dublin.
    Mcmillian predicted 4.10 based on my runs so far.
    So was hoping to (if fit and not sick) do it sub 4 hours.
    I will be hanging on to the 4hr pacers for dear life.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IronTractorBoy

I agree with Amadeus comments on the pre race.

The start can be an anxtious time so would try and keep calm (so not wasting any energy) and keep warm, as it can be a while between handing bag in and the race starting. As suggested bin bags are surprisingly warm you just cut out a bit for your head and arms to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Jenfer

@runhomerrun
    I too like u have been keeping a close eye on this thread cos I have been in and around the same training and times as everyone here.
    I too have a 4.08 prediction from mc millan based on my 13miler but if my 'itb ish' leg mends I am going to put the head down and go all out for the sub 4 :rolleyes:
    I havent ran either this week- resting my leg to see how it goes- but no 1 priority is just getting to the line!
    All the best everyone!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

I've only ran one 4 miler this week and kind of wish I didnt as my achilles is v sore since. Im not going to do anything more before Monday. I had planned to do 2 miles on Saturday but Im better off to leave it yes?

Also I'm being very very bold tonight- Im just in the door from physio after work and have a killer headache, cant face cooking a dinner so the OH is gone getting a chinese for dinner!! I've been doing my best for a clean carb filled diet this week but Im just too hungry and tired tonight. Hope its not too much of a bad idea. There's carbs in chips isnt there?

• Advertisement

If it makes you feel any better bally8, I'm having a few beers tonight and a curry, I need to relax a bit.

I've been having a sock crisis today, as in which ones to wear 1. one of My old ones (1000 mile - been picking up a few blisters lately in them) 2. New aldi ones 3. New 1000 mile ones.

Also having a mini crisis regarding nipple protection - plasters or vas, plasters or vas and finally shorts, I have longer ones with pockets but prefer shorter ones without pockets, but I'd like to have some pockets to carry some gels and a small vas if plaster don't work out if I choose to wear plasters but I mightn't, I might just go with vas from the outset but only if I wear my long shorts, I mean short shorts, I mean hot pants, I mean aaaaaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhh........

o.k. So THIS is taper madness

Advertisement