Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Novices / Sub 4:30 Mentored thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

Ribeye steak, chips, mushroom and onions pour moi.
    Carb, carb, carb from tomorrow onwards.

4m done - threw some strides in and everything felt fine, small twinge in knee but that's to be expected. Will be off it until Sunday so cotton wool until then.

As for socks OI, I never liked the 1000 mile ones, always gave me blisters but if the old ones worked for you and if the new ones are the exact same I would go for those one. Personally I like the aldi socks but am going with injinji socks for the marathon (tried them over a 12 miler and they were fine) - they freak the wife out but fit like a glove ;)

In the same boat re the shorts, will prob go with the pocketless ones as am wearing a gel belt (haven't tried this out yet :o). For me nips, it will be plasters all the way, one vertical, one horizontal, one diagonal if needs be.

So that's it folks, Hal Higdon Novice II done. We've all come so far, if I don't post again, the very best of luck to the allstars (and to all the lurkers). It'll be a piece of p1ss :D

Go on The --A-- Team, hopefully next week the boss can reflect that he "loves it when a plan comes together!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm still trying to decide whether to wear capris or shorts, I'm slightly more likely to chafe in shorts, but after shorts being strongly suggested in another thread I'm conflicted... if I could afford it I would buy a pair of compression shorts but I'm broke. I'll be wearing Aldi socks, the bright blue ones I've had for about a year.

Bought another stick of Body Glide in Runways yesterday, it's going on EVERYTHING. Also bought gloves and a hat in Penneys yesterday, €2 for 2 fleece hats and €1 for 2 pairs of gloves. Sweet :)

Obsessive? Moi? NEVER! :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IronTractorBoy

Talking about the A Team earlier in the year I added a post to my blog about my Mr T mental training technique.

http://markstrainingblog.blogspot.com/2009/03/additional-mental-training-technique-mr.html

The bit about taking a deep breath and dealing with the situation with what is available to you make sense even in running and triathlons. You may also enjoy the videos, I still think of the speed walker one when I slow down in a race.

I must get back to updating my blog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

The more the merrier on the day :D

Folks don't obsess about kit. I'll let you in on a secret - it doesn't really matter...

You could get the most fantastic technical race T in the world, the most gel-pocket-tastic shorts and the swankiest socks and trainers, lie them all on the start line and 4:30 later they won't have moved (well, in Dublin they'll have been nicked, but you get the point).

Technical T rather than cotton, stuff you've worn before and you'll be grand. Blisters and chaffing and the like tend not to be painful at the time, it's only afterwards that they hurt. Capri's or shorts, big pockets or belts - this is stuff that will make a difference on teh day, yes. But a tiny difference compared to the training you've done and your mindset.

Chilax!!

I'm heading off to get a plane this afternoon and I'm on client site again this morning (should be there now :o) so I'll see some of you at the start on Monday. Myself and teh clan are crashing at the Conrad teh night before and kicking around teh idea of staying Monday night as well but it would be nice to put a few names to faces in the bar after the race anyway.

And if I don't get back in here again before Monday...

Good luck

Scratch that, you don't need luck, just go out and do what you've trained to do and run teh race you deserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Thanks Amadeus. Im looking forward to meeting up with as many people as possible after.

I've also just spent the last 10 minutes ruining my singlet by writing my name on the front and Bally8 on the back with black marker. Its a bit of a mess but if anyone sees me make sure to say Hi

On a different note, I've woken up this morning sneezy with a very runny nose!

Oh and goofygirl- are you in Ireland? Hows the jetlag?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Where you all meeting after?

Hoping for the best on Monday, knee is holding but just, expect I will suffer with it though after half way but to hell with it I can always walk the last half!!
    Good luck everyone. Thanks Amadeus again.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

My tshirt is a black race series one so I cant write my name on it, unless I do it in tippex. :) Will have to scrawl it on the race number or something.

Rainbow, think of your best, most enjoyable long run/race. (Yes, you did have one) and wear what you wore for that. Like amadeus says it wont matter a jot, but it will get your head in the right place about it.

Now you all have me agonising over my socks. I have hilly winter and summer ones and those 1000 milers. I think hilly lite will win. :)

Is it just me or is anyone else twitchy and wishing the time away? Im just going c'mon... c'mon... c'mon... lets do it....:D

Oryx wrote: »
    Is it just me or is anyone else twitchy and wishing the time away? Im just going c'mon... c'mon... c'mon... lets do it....:D
    Yeah totally, I just want college today to be over. Unfortunately, I have a class test at 2pm, which I CANNOT concentrate on studying for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

buck65 wrote: »
    Where you all meeting after?

Hoping for the best on Monday, knee is holding but just, expect I will suffer with it though after half way but to hell with it I can always walk the last half!!
    Good luck everyone. Thanks Amadeus again.

No worries, it's what I'm here for :)

The pacers are all meeting in the Conrad (the organisers have a room set aside for us to shower in) so I'm going there and have been suggesting that people meet there. I don't know if there amother suggestion doing teh rounds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

I am bombed out if with jetlag but back on Irish soil! Got back yesterday afternoon, went to bed at 7.30pm, was awake from 2 to 4am and then woke up about ten minutes ago (it's 12.45pm). Going for the Last Run Before the Day later on.

Aah it feels great to be home :)

Not looking forward to the return flight to Canada first thing on Wed morning. You know when they call for people who need extra time or assistance boarding the plane? That could be me hobbling along!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Hey gg, you got the 1000th post on this thread WooHoo!!!!!!

I'm a freakazoid this week, WooHoo!!!!

WooHoo!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Who's pacing the 4.30 group (pink balloons?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IronTractorBoy

Yes, it is me and Wally Runs.

All the pacers will have yellow and black pacers kit (I will have a few layers underneath), with our race number on the front and pace group time pinned to the back of the vest and before we start a nice pink balloon added for extra affect, other groups have different colours.

Before the start I may have an old trackie bottoms and a bin liner on to keep warm but I will near the 4:30 section which I believe they will have setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I'm freaaking out! I bought season 5 of lost today and will watch it to distract myself.

Jaysus, this sea air is fierce bracing stuff!

Bear in mind I've been living and training at 1000m for the past year, with the air being particularly dry in Calgary. Just back from a 3 miler, the last run before the big day, and the sea level air was like rich nourishing soup for my lungs. Kept things very, very easy but still trotted 3 miles in 26mins57. Shhh, don't tell Amadeus he'll give out to me but honestly I was trying to keep it slow.

Now all I have to do is eat carbs and spend the weekend with the family :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

Serously considering Sub 4 - McMillan cal says it should do it, based on my half mar, 10 mile and my 5 mile, and im definitley faster than my 5 mile time last July.

Will probably make my mind up on the morning of the race !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Ok guys and gals the last pivotal 48 hours are upon us. lets not try to get hit by large inanimate objects and so on and so forth.

I'm heading to Dublin pretty soon and don't know how i will be fixed for internets access so everybody and anybody doing the marathon; GOOD LUCK! I will do my best to make it to say hi to all of ye sub 4.30 group as i have stalked this thread for months.

Im race no. 7505, ill be wearing the blue half mara t shirt, powerbar gel belt on, shaved head, look like a convict so hard to miss me: please do say hi, im thinking i might scribble my boards name on the back of my T as some of you have. For anyone in the 3:30 oace group say hi as il be there too!

Here we go WOOP WOOP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck everyone, thanks a million for all the support. Im now officially excited. I have been soooo nervous and stressed all week but after a lovely 2 mile run today I feel great and cant wait for 9 am Monday. Come on Allstars!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I've really enjoyed your thread folks and am looking forward to your reports. The very best of luck to you all. Enjoy it....its going to be great!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck to everyone on Monday, especially the first timers. Been thinking of my first marathon two years ago today and it's really brought a smile to my face, it was a horrible horrible experience but it was absolutely amazing all at the same time. Have a blast, enjoy, don't worry about time, it's your first marathon you're meant to enjoy it. Look forward to reading your race reviews on Monday/Tuesday. Hopefully see a few of you in the conrad for some drinkies. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Well the time is almost on us... I haven't been posting a whole lot on this thread, but it's definitely the thread that's helped me most and kept me sane in my preparation!!

Hope everyone has a successful day on Monday and that we all enjoy it :)

Might see some of you in the Conrad, if I can make it there (the Pav in Trinity is where my charity are meeting and it's way closer to the finish line!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

BRING IT ON

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

What's up folks , have been watching this thread but haven't posted before because I moved house in late June and by the time I got internet hooked up the thread was well under way.

I will be running the marathon on Monday and it will be my 1st time. Up until now I have been very confident and had no doubts but they are flooding in now. Just wondering if this is normal for beginners ?

I feel like I haven't trained enough. I participated in the 5(43 min) 10( 1hr 37min) and half marathon (2hrs 27min) but since the half I only did one long run which was an 18 miler which I did on the 6th and did it in 3hrs 20mins so starting to think now I should have done some more long runs.

Was also wondering about carrying food with me. I plan on bringing 2 bananas , a packet of glucoze sweets and a packet of unsalted mixed nuts. are any of these likely to be useful ? Any advice will be much appreciated, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Good luck folks, may the road rise with ye!!!!

Just starting to hit me know that I'm running a marathon tomorrow:eek:
    Have stumbled to the starting line with a knee problem but when to a physio yesterday and they said it's nothing serious and more a problem that has to be managed, so will have to grit the teeth and bare a little pain and discomfort.

Thanks to all posters and Amadeus for this thread as it has been a great source of info-encouragement for me as I only started running this year. Hope ye all get evertyhing you want and more out of tomorrow.

its-on-like-donkey-kong.jpg

Good luck everyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

Sick stomach today, hopefully will pass, doesn't see too bad this evening and I kept up with the carb loading !

Good luck everybody ! Looking forward to putting faces to avatars tomorrow ! This time last year I was at a Film Festival down the country boozin ! A yr later, who would have thought it !

- thanks for eveything Amadeus !

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Wilbury

Best of luck to all of the 'Amadeus Allstars' I hope you all have a mighty day!! I have really enjoyed all your logs and posts and cant wait to read your reports. I hope your 'finely tu(o)ned' bodies do what they are told!!!!!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Good marathon morning. Best of luck to all. :) *cue chariots of fire music*

• Advertisement

Afraid I didn't make it along to the Conrad - got detoured to Hartigan's instead where I doubt they even know a marathon was happening today - but gun time of 4:23, watch time of 4:20.

Can we do it again next year? :D

I had an absolutely fantastic time out there today, I couldn't believe the first 20 miles went by so quickly, the last 6 were a bit tiring but honestly some of long runs in training were a lot, lot tougher. Rang bang-on 10 min miles (or slightly under I suppose, given that extra .2 at the end) from start to finish. As ever, GI issues were the biggest challenge during the race but by Jaysus I wasn't stopping for a toilet. I distinctly remember thinking at the 24 mile mark, "right, only 2 miles left and then I can puke".

Immediately upon finishing everything seized up and I was reduced to tottering along with little geisha steps. Very odd.

The real stars of the day though were the spectators. THANK YOU SO MUCH to anyone who stood out there cheering and handing out any variety of goodies: impromptu water stations, spray on Deep Heat, jaffa cakes, jelly beans. The clapping and encouragement and the ghetto blasters in peoples' front gardens made all the difference. I can't express my appreciation enough.

Oh my God: completely forgot a group of very important people - YOU GUYS. Training would have been a sad and lonely plod were it not for the virtual support and invaluable advice of everyone on here. Amadeus, I hope we done ye proud.

Advertisement