Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Novices / Sub 4:30 Mentored thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You all need to get rid of those crappy windows pc's and get a mac, all you need to do with the mac is print screen the photo and you don't have to do any of that ms paint stuff.

That definitely looks like a two feet off the ground pic. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

flip, flip, flip. I'm pullin my hair out here. I'm on MarathoFoto but there is no 'Lifestyle Sports Dublin City Marathon', is anybody else having the same problem?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

sideswipe wrote: »
    flip, flip, flip. I'm pullin my hair out here. I'm on MarathoFoto but there is no 'Lifestyle Sports Dublin City Marathon', is anybody else having the same problem?

They've changed it to adidas dublin marathon now so it's the third of fourth thing on the drop down list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

sideswipe wrote: »

they changed it yesterday to adidas Dublin City Marahon 2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

...deleted as too gross

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Bally8 wrote: »

My poor toes
    Oh lord. Not having sausages tonight then.

I have chafing wounds but I can do photos of it. :D

Is it too gross? I can take it down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Unfortunately coming home for the marathon has given me a very skewed impression of Dublin as a sunny place where the people are friendly and encouraging. My visa is Canada is coming to an end so I'm thinking about coming back home. Yes, I know, I haven't a chance in hell of getting a job so will prob go back to college.

Along these lines I'm thinking Connemarathon. Did the half last year so would love to give the full one a go.

Just back from a very easy and slow 40 min run. Left the Garmin at home so no idea of distance. I tried not to go for a run, I really did. But it was Saturday morning and I was just absolutely flummoxed as to what else I'd do!

16133_191848937585_519612585_4029501_4590001_n.jpg
    No idea how to upload stuff so this is the best I could do. They must love me on Marathonfoto, 13 photos of me there in various states of pain:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The people who run MarathonFoto must be a bit sadistic, all those pics of people in pain...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IronTractorBoy

There is none of me on the marathonfoto site, I find that hard to believe due to massive pink balloon that I had.

just to lay this thread to rest, here's my race report

http://straightouttadublin.blogspot.com/2009/11/amor-omnia-vincit-part-two.html

THE END

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great report there GG, you have a bit of a gift for the writing!!

More so than for the running anyway hahaha

goofygirl wrote: »
    More so than for the running anyway hahaha

Well you ran a damn good race! :)

Great report btw, you're a far better writer than me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Hi All,

I was just wondering if there will there be a similar thread for DCM 2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IronTractorBoy

I think there will be and based on last year it will be in about months time, I guess timed for after the london marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I don't know is the honest answer.

This thread was brilliant to be involved in for me but it was pretty intensive and it involved a lot more than I had expected. And it worked so well I'm not I'd want to try - if a new thread didn't get this same sense of camraderie then I'd probably be disapointed and it's almost setting it up for a failure.

That said tehre are others who could lead it and if there is teh demand and people want it then I'm sure that - as ITB says - one will crop up a little nearer the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Maybe one of the Amadeus Allstars could step up to the plate with our new-found experience? I'm nominating RK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

Seconded ;)

If a 2010 group doesn't happen, it should be easy enough to follow this thread from the start. It has a great plan that will get you around and I'd say between us we answered every question possible. Amadeus will vouch for that :)

Good luck all who are doing their first, it's very challenging but worthwhile. I think most of us are still running - proof it worked!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I just read through most of this thread now- Brilliant memories!! It would be a real pity if it didn't happen this year.

Maybe one of the Amadeus Allstars could step up to the plate with our new-found experience? I'm nominating RK!

Would definitely be up for it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Put me down as another DCM first-timer who'd love a similar thread this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

RayCun wrote: »
    Put me down as another DCM first-timer who'd love a similar thread this year

Same here, although I'm still at the stage where I'm not really saying it out loud yet even to myself if that makes any sense. Would love another thread like this - it looks like great motivation.

kit3 wrote: »
    Same here, although I'm still at the stage where I'm not really saying it out loud yet even to myself if that makes any sense.
    Yup, that's exactly the stage that most of us were at this time last year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm at the 'not saying it out loud to my wife' stage :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

No better woman for the job :D

It would be a really good way of closing the circle if one of teh mentored from last year did the main mentoring this year. The only thing is that every marathon training cycle throws up something new and a mentor should really be someone who has seen and done most of it before, so if it was RK or one of the others it would probably be a good idea to have someone they could go to for advice if they were asked something and weren't sure of the answer. They could PM either myself or one of teh others (Peckham, KC, HM, etc) to run ideas past them and just to have a sounding board, it wouldn't need to be in the public eye or seen.

I might then mentor a Boston Qualifying Thread, for people looking to hit that standard (3:10 for under 35m, I think, 3:15 for under 40m). I've hit that standard in my last few races and would be comfortable enough with it.

So yeah, RK for mentor :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

It would be a really good way of closing the circle if one of teh mentored from last year did the main mentoring this year.

Go on RK!

If you need a hand just shout or otherwise, some of us can keep an eye on it and jump it with our experience from last year when suitable?

As an incentive to those who are still sitting on the fence as to whether to do the marathon or not I will give my copy of

The Non- Runner's Marathon Trainer

to the first one who confirms they are definitely doing the marathon. One of the first lessons from this book is to tell as many people as possible as soon as possible that you are running a marathon (not intending to or might do) as once you tell people there is a much greater chance you will actually do it. So only those who intend to do the marathon please...

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Thanks for all the replies and it's good to see that the mentored thread may be here again to help us novices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

RayCun wrote: »
    I'm at the 'not saying it out loud to my wife' stage :)

You have now!!
    Raycun's ds just said "daddy's going to die" :D

Advertisement