Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Novices / Sub 4:30 Mentored thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Hey DoleDude
    Well done! There seems to be a huge number of us doing our first marathon this year. It'll be great to have the support of all the first timers as well as all the knowledge of everyone who's already been there.
    Planning on signing up for the Adidas Series myself this weeend.......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

doledude86 wrote: »
    Hey all...

Loved reading all the posts in the same boat myself...doing my first marathon this year dont know about timing and such just finishing is no 1 prioity..doing the halhingdon programme and have applied for the three race series..am a week into it now and held my own in the 10miler sunday..80mins 20seconds think thats a reasonable time :) going try keep in touvh with yourselves over this moral support and all that..Roll on the 18th of JUly!!!

If you have your Dad's genes then the marathon should be no problem to you. He has done all 29 DCMs? :eek:

Up at 645 this morning to do my run, beautiful day in the midlands, no clouds, sun shining, even had to wear shades as was running into the sun.
    Following Hal Higdon novice II so called for a 5m at pace (plus amadeus' strides just to make it harder!).

Bit of a stewards enquiry into this one, it was either 5 or 6 miles as I think I took a later turn than I should have (running a new route). I will drive it later.

Anyhoo, 6 :D or 5 :) miles with 3 x 30 sec strides in 50m 17.
    Avg HR 157. Max 180

Will have the Garmin next week so no more measuring errors. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

Yeah u must have read another post of mine have ya..yea 29 he has done 30 this year he did one out in memphis couple of years ago 2..

did a 3.35mile run yesterday going do a 5 mile tonight..hit the gym tomorrow vary it up with dreadmill running

Checked yesterday's run, it was 5.5 miles so happy with that.

3.3 miles this morning in 28m28 Avg 158, Max 170

Boston tomorrow so will be doing my LSR on Sat in scattered thunder storms according to the weatherman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

You're going to Boston tomorrow? As in united states. That's cool.

This is my friday, off tomorrow to get my lsr in before I go on stag weekend, I'll need to be fit for that one. My work this weeks has consisted of:
    Monday: 3.3
    Tuesday: 5.7
    Wednesday: 3.3

today I have 5.7 planned and tomorrow I'll be doing 8 for my lsr, then 30 over the weekend (pints that is).

• Advertisement

You're going to Boston tomorrow? As in united states. That's cool.

Yep, just checking out the marathon course for when I break 3 hrs :pac:

Enjoy the stag, in Ireland or further afield?

8m LSR for me this weekend too, longest I will have run since the half marathon in 2006.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Hmmm, nothing like easy questions...

In terms of HR zones the best explanation and guide I have seen is this one. The standard runs should be in the aerobic zone (70 - 80%) with LSRs a step down (60 - 70%).

Pace is a whole different kettle of fish - I can't tell you how fast or slow to run these as everyone of you will be different and you should be judging by effort rather than speed anyway. Run the regular runs at conversational pace and teh LSRs even easier and you won't go far wrong.

However if you insist on exact pacings then try this. You can input either a recent race time or a goal time (eg 4:30 marathon) and it will kick out your target paces for everything from Recovery and long runs through to sprint drills. Be careful with it!

Now this really is a hard question... Whats TG by the way?

If my maths is right you'll be getting in 12 weeks of marathon specific training? TBH it's not ideal and the work you are doing won't do very much to help you with the marathon. Speed work and sprint drills are all VO2 max sessions and that's pretty much irrelevant for marathon runners at our level. Probably more importantly is that whatever fitness and base you have from training for teh half will have dropped away pretty sharply in 4 - 6 weeks. For example my average running pace has dropped from 7 min / miles to 8 min miles after 5 weeks off - and I've been running consistently for 3 or 4 years so would have a pretty good base.

Now it's far from impossible but I would strongly, strongly reccomend doing one long run per week during this "off" phase, and if you can do a second mid length run then so much the better. That'll keep you ticking over and you can then pick a 12 week schedule (P&D have some excellent ones) to peak for Dublin. If you were going into your 3rd or 4th marathon I wouldn't have any concerns at all - it's really the worry about trying to build so much endurance in such a short length of time. Done properly though it is certainly achievable.
    Thanks so much for that, it makes loads of sense. Is 10-12k long enough for a 'long' run?

And this is TG. :p

Sub430 wrote: »
    Yep, just checking out the marathon course for when I break 3 hrs :pac:

Enjoy the stag, in Ireland or further afield?

8m LSR for me this weekend too, longest I will have run since the half marathon in 2006.

just in Ireland for this one, not going too far afield at all, headin to races in curragh aswell, should b a bit of laugh. And just for the record I wouldn't be able to drink 30 pints, particularly now I'm a running Adonis :rolleyes:

I loving using the term lsr, particularly in front of the wife, she thinks Im such a ponce, she just doesn't understand the running lingo.

Yeah I did 8.5 last Sunday and I was delighted with how I felt, so looking forward to lsr tomorrow

have a great time in Boston, I would love to go to America sometime, especially new York, was in Canada on my honeymoon

I loving using the term lsr, particularly in front of the wife, she thinks Im such a ponce, she just doesn't understand the running lingo.

:D

I do it too... it's fun. Makes me feel like an athlete haha :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭jlang

Wait till she sees you in your winter running tights. (Just the thought of me going cycling sends my chief supporter into fits of giggles.)

yeah I used to lmao at my ex when he was heading out for runs and cycles :D Although I used to wait until he left and then laughed....

jlang wrote: »
    Wait till she sees you in your winter running tights. (Just the thought of me going cycling sends my chief supporter into fits of giggles.)

ah thats funny

when I started running for the first time, I came down the stairs in a pair of compression shorts and said, ok then I'm off, wish me luck;)

oh how she laughed not realising I was putting shorts on over, actually as far as I can remember her laughing turned to, "no seriously osnola, you can't go out like that" but this is what all the runners wear etc etc. got a great deal of mileage out of that one if you pardon the pun boom boom!.

I'm getting a bit giddy now as the weekend looms.

Whats lsr?*

*well someone had to ask. :)

Oryx wrote: »
    Whats lsr?*

*well someone had to ask. :)

long slow run :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Ahhh I've looked at that TG comp before, always fancied having a crack at it. Nice one!

10 - 12k isn't really a long run in this context; 10kms isn't even a quarter distance. If possible I'd try and follow the planned LSR progression in the plans. That said if you can only manage 10 - 12ks then that's better than nothing!

On the tights thing - no. Just no. If your legs are cold run faster, there is never an excuse for a man to wear lycra :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭jlang

On the tights thing - no. Just no. If your legs are cold run faster, there is never an excuse for a man to wear lycra :D
    I fully agree. My earlier comment should not be taken as any indication that I have ever worn the pair I bought in Aldi for running slowly around Dublin 15 during the snow last February when nobody was watching, or indeed any other tights in any other place or at any other time.
    I was just alerting the DCM Novices to the availability and ridiculousness of such garments and as the race is in October there will be sunny weather from now till then and there will be no need for further thought of cold except, as you say, as an excuse for faster running.

Hi folks, I got to thinking earlier that we don't have a snappy name like that other lot "Peckham's spacers"* or something, in the goal log I threw in amadeus allstars, but if anyone can think of anything better than that, possibly more running related, then maybe throw in a suggestion or two. Bag of lemon Bon bons for the winner.

*not trying to create an us and them environment, he he he (Machiavellian laugh)

jlang wrote: »
    I fully agree. My earlier comment should not be taken as any indication that I have ever worn the pair I bought in Aldi for running slowly around Dublin 15 during the snow last February when nobody was watching, or indeed any other tights in any other place or at any other time.
    I was just alerting the DCM Novices to the availability and ridiculousness of such garments and as the race is in October there will be sunny weather from now till then and there will be no need for further thought of cold except, as you say, as an excuse for faster running.
    I used to care what I looked like, but now I couldnt give a flying fiddle what people think when Im out running in my lycra (but then, Im female :)) I did get wolf whistled once when out in the frost in winter longs, jacket, hat, gloves and a runny nose. Odd. :p Runners are a crazy breed. I think were meant to look it!

Amadeus Allstars sounds good!
    I've put my goal down in the DM 2009 Thread as sub 5 hours - should I be putting this under Sub 430?? I'm not 100% sure I can achieve sub 430 though :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I put myself down under sub-4:30, even though I think sub-4:45 or sub-5 is probably more realistic...

This is kirby on marathon day.

snail.gif

Lol - I might be joining you on that one!

I'm down as sub4, I really really want it, but I know it's gonna take a lot of hard work, just did my lsr, 8.14 miles, 79 mins, first time I wore hr aswell, 154 bpm average, is that good?, I'm 29. Off to stag do now do don't have time to check on the line so to speak. See you in soberland on Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'm down as sub4, I really really want it, but I know it's gonna take a lot of hard work, just did my lsr, 8.14 miles, 79 mins, first time I wore hr aswell, 154 bpm average, is that good?, I'm 29. Off to stag do now do don't have time to check on the line so to speak. See you in soberland on Monday

Hi Onsola, as far as I have learned you should be doing your LSR's at in and around 70% HR, which for me is around 150-155. So 154 sounds good. You can check out your own stats here
    http://www.radix.net/~bobg/run/hr.html
    Use Karvonen estimate- You have to know your resting HR and your max HR. Get your resting HR while lying on couch watching TV or when you wake up. If you don't know your max, I think it is best to assume 220 - your age.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Hi Onsola, as far as I have learned you should be doing your LSR's at in and around 70% HR, which for me is around 150-155. So 154 sounds good. You can check out your own stats here
    http://www.radix.net/~bobg/run/hr.html
    Use Karvonen estimate- You have to know your resting HR and your max HR. Get your resting HR while lying on couch watching TV or when you wake up. If you don't know your max, I think it is best to assume 220 - your age.

hi menoscemo, I took my resting heart rate as being 65, that was what it was b4 I went for run, my max is 191 (220 - age 29). I have only just noticed that amadeus already posted a link to a page giving heart rate zones in or around the same as the zones computed in the link you posted above. It says my range for lsr's 144 - 153, so i'm just out side that but it was seriously warm this morning so maybe that contributed.

This is fact: I weighed myself just b4 going for run and I was 12 st 10, I weighed myself just after and b4 hydrating and I was 12st 5. 5 Pounds lost in one 8 mile run, bloody hell. I'm sure a lot of it was water though and rehydrating probably brings me back to normal.

I also guess that the marathon race will be run at 80% HR, so hopefully that will give me the extra 30 secs per mile needed to reach my goal. My god this can get very technical very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Hi everyone

First of all big thanks to Amadeus, our trusted leader, for taking all us newbies under his wing.

I'm following the Novice I schedule because even though the mileage is quite low for the first few weeks:

1. I'm actually enjoying the reduced mileage for the moment!
    2. I'm sure it's going to ramp up in a month or so
    3. I cycle to work and back and swim twice a week as well so I might collapse if I tried anything more intensive.

Still haven't decided on a goal time. HM PB is 2hrs 2 mins but I think given this is my first marathon I'll be happy if I just finish. :)

So I've done the 3 x 3 miles this week and will do my "long" run of 6 miles tomorrow.

How's everyone else getting on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

hi menoscemo, I took my resting heart rate as being 65, that was what it was b4 I went for run, my max is 191 (220 - age 29). I have only just noticed that amadeus already posted a link to a page giving heart rate zones in or around the same as the zones computed in the link you posted above. It says my range for lsr's 144 - 153, so i'm just out side that but it was seriously warm this morning so maybe that contributed.

This is fact: I weighed myself just b4 going for run and I was 12 st 10, I weighed myself just after and b4 hydrating and I was 12st 5. 5 Pounds lost in one 8 mile run, bloody hell. I'm sure a lot of it was water though and rehydrating probably brings me back to normal.

I also guess that the marathon race will be run at 80% HR, so hopefully that will give me the extra 30 secs per mile needed to reach my goal. My god this can get very technical very quickly.

65 Resting HR seems a bit high, you should take it after a prolonged period of inactivity. (mine is 45-50)
    I am guessing a lot in my methods and am no expert. I am a newbie too!! I know that a lot of websites say to do LSR at 60-65% HR, but for me that would mean walking :D I Would run 5 mile race at about 167-170 Avg HR (8 minute miles) so for me 150-155 is comfortable for LSR's. Before I was doing all runs at about 160-165 bpm which I have realised is unsubsatinable. At the moment I am doing 8"45-9"15 minute miles at 150-155 HR. I have heard as a rule of thumb you should be able to chat on your LSR's which I can. I am concentrating on keeping the HR in the same area and hoping that my pace increases as I Train more, which thankfully it is.

I will wait for amadeus to come along and tell me if I am doing it right, as I say i am a marathon Newbie too actually I am following this thread a lot. I also hope to become one of Amadeus' Allstars , it is just that I have pushed ahead with my HH progamme and am currently finishing week 9. The reason being that I am going off for a month at the end of July, so when i come back at the end of August I hope to rejoin you all back at week 10 again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

....like that other lot "Peckham's spacers"* or something, in the goal log I threw in amadeus allstars,

*not trying to create an us and them environment, he he he (Machiavellian laugh)

Spacers eh? Its pacers and you know it. Us and them environment created ;)

Best of luck to you all with the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

I've only just spotted this thread and thought I'd post.

I want to finish in sub 3:30, this being my first ever marathon.

My current PB's are:

5k - 20:08
    4 miles - 26:58
    10k - 43:37
    10 miles - 1:14:08

When I'm not injured (I am at the moment :(), I run 5 - 6 days and average between 30 - 40 miles per week. My LSR is currently at 14 miles. I'm looking at using this programme: http://www.runrepublic.ie/training/marathon.htm#sub330

Is this programme adequate enough to bring me home in under 3:30 and, going on my PB's and current mileage, do I stand any chance at all of achieving my goal?

• Advertisement

Spacers eh? Its pacers and you know it. Us and them environment created ;)

Best of luck to you all with the training.

Added impetus successfully eh added

Advertisement