Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Novices / Sub 4:30 Mentored thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

I wouldn't say it necessary to measure 100 metres per say, there must b a time equivelent, e.g. 30 secs of strides, just use your watch and time the strides for say 20 - 30 secs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

Woo Hoo..... I'm not the biggest fan of stretching! Glad to see that I'm not the only one that couldn't be bothered :D:D:D

+1 :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

We had an argument about this last year but I do my strides during my run, just turn it into a mini fartlek.

As you are running pick a point and when you get there start to pick up the pace (Peckham calls this moving up through the gears)... Take 2 - 3 seconds to get up to roughly 80% of full sprint speed and hold for 8 - 12 seconds. Then wind back down again (back down through the gears) back to normal speed over 2 - 3 seconds. Count it in your head (1 mississippi, 2 mississippi...). Do once per mile for teh 3 miles of the run.

Easy!

We had an argument about this last year but I do my strides during my run, just turn it into a mini fartlek.

As you are running pick a point and when you get there start to pick up the pace (Peckham calls this moving up through the gears)... Take 2 - 3 seconds to get up to roughly 80% of full sprint speed and hold for 8 - 12 seconds. Then wind back down again (back down through the gears) back to normal speed over 2 - 3 seconds. Count it in your head (1 mississippi, 2 mississippi...). Do once per mile for teh 3 miles of the run.

Easy!

noice, I'm actually looking forward to doing these now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Excellent amadeus I'll give it a go tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

did my "homework" (ie: my strides) during my run tonight :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

Today 3m in 26m48 : 9m37, 8m39, 7m55. Lovin the Garmin.:D

So I tried the strides today. I think I got the idea but I forgot how long amadeus said to do it for so I did the fast running part for 20 seconds. Nearly killed me.

Not a good session for me at all, hated every second of it. From the minute I got out of the house I wanted to be finished. I dont feel like that very often, just an off day I suppose. My body aches and I walk around like a cripple. Sometimes I worry that if this is how I feel at the start of the training plan will I even make it to the start line? Physio for a massage tomorrow, hopefully it will put me back on track.

chin up bally 8, just put it down to an off day

i did my strides today aswell, in fact I was 4 minute miling for 12 seconds at one stage, ;). Garmin went a bit weird on me today. Did a 5.7 mile run but I think I inadvertantly stopped the watch whilst trying to lock the bezel. Averaged 9 min 5 sec miles with an average BPM of 159. I think thats ok cause thats marathon pace for me. A decent tempo run. Max today was 179 but that included uphill climb. Did my 3 sets of strides and loved them. That was cool.

I don't know about anyone else though but in this humid weather I am sweating profusely, its a bit embarassing. Weekend of debauchery could not have helped there either. Feel much better now though. :cool:..........5.7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Running just doesn't seem to be happening this week. Every apartment viewing I get is at awkward times, but right now I really need to get somewhere fast because I'm getting about 4 hours sleep a night in the hostel. :(

• Advertisement

Strides are hateful. Did them on my 5th mile, happy with the run overall though. Actually physically tired as in yawning and wouldn't mind a kip but there are pints to be drank. Tomorrow will be a very easy three miles.

5m incl 3 x 100m (ish) strides : 46m47 : HR 160

Splits: 8m21, HR 139 : 8m40, 158: 8m28 163 : 8m12 169: 8m07 172

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Did a (roughly) four mile run today. Felt a bit ragged going out, and tried strides at about mile 2. Straight away I had a problem, groin strain, actually thought Id pulled something. So only tried one set, and after that just got home. My run is very hilly and was tough anyway. Im stiff in my calves and hamstrings now, no idea why, havent felt this stiff since I began running.

Oryx wrote: »
    . Im stiff in my calves and hamstrings now, no idea why, havent felt this stiff since I began running.

I know exactly how you feel. I cant get over how stiff my calves are these days. I have never been like this before either. Amadeus can you tell us is this normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

Have been nuts with work so only back running today, this week only got 3miles Sunday, 3 yesterday and yoga today so reallly only starting the program now. How far behind have I fallen ???????

Very quick post before bed, more detail tomorrow...

Yes what you're feeling is perfectly normal and that's wy I was advising people not to just look at the 1st weeks schedule and think "oh that's easy, I'll do the next program up"!!

It's not the distances you're running it's the cumulative effect of running 4 or 5 (or more) days a week every week for 18 weeks that causes the fatigue. As long as you're just stiff and not actually in pain then yes, it's normal. You just have to get used to leaning extra heavily on bannisters as you go down stairs and perching on a stack of bags of potatoes in Dunnes if you are dragged out shopping after a LSR :D

And if it's any consolation my legs feel exactly the same but you'll feel amazing when you taper...

if you are dragged out shopping after a LSR :D

Just back from being dragged around an outlet, 200 shops and a wife hunting bargains like a woman possessed. I must have walked 5 miles.:eek:

Thunder and lightning storm forced a treadmill run of 3m in about 30 mins.
    2 months ago I didn't mind the treadmill, how things change, I think the tready may be the work of the devil.

Sub430 wrote: »
    I think the tready may be the work of the devil.
    It *is* the work of the devil :p

I'm heading back home to Dublin tonight, so lots of running this weekend. Just moved into my new place too. :)

This week has been atrocious because of househunting and other such fun, so I think I'll have to try get out tonight (late-ish), tomorrow (long run) and Sunday (shorter run).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

I've noticed that my calves are really really tight rather than stiff. I'm starting to think that maybe I should start stretching them before and after running! Although at the same time they feel like, if I stretched them I might cramp :rolleyes:

The tready is most definately the work of the devil. I'm not loving running on it as much as I did the first two weeks I had it... I need to map out some outdoor running. It's all hills around the parents place so I end up hating it and wanting to give up so need to find somewhere nice and flat instead.

I tapered last week. I did not feel amazing.:)

I loathe my treadmill now. It just feels like so much more hard work than outdoors!

Any advice on what to do to prevent calves cramping during an event? Not so much when running, it only happens afterwards, but this TG event is going to be killer, I had a real problem with cramping last time. Its all the run, stop, climb stuff. Should I be stretching well now, or taking in certain amounts of salts and fluids before it?

Yes what you're feeling is perfectly normal

Thank god for that :D

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    I tapered last week. I did not feel amazing.:)

I loathe my treadmill now. It just feels like so much more hard work than outdoors!

Any advice on what to do to prevent calves cramping during an event? Not so much when running, it only happens afterwards, but this TG event is going to be killer, I had a real problem with cramping last time. Its all the run, stop, climb stuff. Should I be stretching well now, or taking in certain amounts of salts and fluids before it?
    Dunno if you've tried them before, but Clif Shot Blox margarita flavour have triple the salt of normal gels and I've heard them recommended for cramping.

Dunno if you've tried them before, but Clif Shot Blox margarita flavour have triple the salt of normal gels and I've heard them recommended for cramping.
    Never taken gels at all. Thanks for the tip.

Right then this thread has been quiet for a couple of days - I hope you lot have been busy training..!

This weeks plan...:

Plan for the week is:

Monday | Tuesday|Wedensday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3 m run|4 m with 2 @ LT Pace|3 m run|rest|cross|5

Ok, mixed bag this week. Good news first, it's a fall back week (yay!) This means that the LSR falls back from 7 to 5 miles, which makes it a bit easier. Enjoy it because we're ramping up to 9 next week with 10 the week after :)

The really exciting news (muhahahahaha!) is that we are doing our first LT run. I can feel the excitement from here! Go Team!

So what am I talking about? On Wed we have a 4 mile run (the midweek runs are going to start stretching now as well). You'll see though that there is 2 @ LT Pace. This means 2 miles run at Lactate Threshold (LT).

Put simply Lactate is a by product of work performed at a cellular level. As your muscles work harder teh amount of lactate increases. Ata certain level more is produced than can be cleared away (lactate turnpoint or lactate threshold). After this the lactate accumulates and - over time - this will compromise your performance. The higher your Lactate Threashold the faster you can run before lactate accumulates and you increase your threashold by (among other things) doing LT pace runs.

Your LT pace is typically either the fastest pace you can maintain for an hour or your 10 mile race pace. For a more detailed explanation check here

I know a couple of you are following different programs - I'm not doing this for ego so if no-one is following this please let me know! I promise not to be offended!

Check in...

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Total miles Overall | Comments
    Sub430|||||
    Rainbow|||||
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|||||
    McConkey|||||
    triangle|||||
    oryx|||||
    Bally|||||
    Munster_Gal|||||
    Goofygirl|||||
    Abi2007|||||

5 miles this week fits in a little strangely with the race series 5 miler being on the 18th! Any major issues if I do the 9 mile long run on the 11th, and take the race on the 18th as the 5-mile cutback?

Sub430|||||
    Rainbow|3|17|38.5|Missed a run because of moving across the country - 8 mile long run this week|
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|||||
    McConkey|||||
    triangle|||||
    oryx|||||
    Bally|||||
    Munster_Gal|||||
    Goofygirl|||||
    Abi2007|||||

Bit of a weird one actually if for no other reason than you would normally run a 5 mile LSR at a relaxed pace but a 5 mile race you hammer on. So that means that you won't actually get a fall back.

In your case though I would say go for it - you've been doing hard enough training for long enough that you don't *need* a fallback week and a quick 5 and good race result will be a nice confidence boost.

However I know that a few of you have been feeling a bit stiff and sore, which is a consequence of teh consistent mileage. If you are feeling it a bit then a fall back week is teh right thing to do and you need the rest.

Now did you ever think that a 5 mile run would be considered a rest???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Sub430|||||
    Rainbow|3|17|38.5|Missed a run because of moving across the country - 8 mile long run this week|
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|||||
    McConkey|||||
    triangle|||||
    oryx|||||
    Bally|||||
    Munster_Gal|3|7|22|I wasn't able for the mileage this week. Going to do the week's training again!I think I'm actually going to have to incorporate stretching into my sessions. My calves were really tight this week and so I was afraid to push myself|
    Goofygirl|||||
    Abi2007|||||

Now did you ever think that a 5 mile run would be considered a rest???
    If you'd asked me this time last year, I'd have laughed for a month. :pac:

Sub430|4|20|39.5|Put on half a stone in the States even though I kept up with the running :eek:. A lot of beer and food consumed though:)
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|||||
    McConkey|||||
    triangle|||||
    oryx|||||
    Bally|||||
    Munster_Gal|||||
    Goofygirl|||||
    Abi2007|||||
    [/quote]

Long slow run today, tried to keep heartrate under 149 for the 9 miles, this was verrrrry difficult going up hills, had to slow to what felt like walking pace. Resting heart rate was higher this morning too, I blame the fatty foods and booze of the past week (plus jetlag :confused: )

Anyhoo, 9 miles in 1hr32m32s. Avg mile 10m17. Avg HR 149. Max 157.
    Calves were very tight between miles 2 and 3, apart from that it was grand. Glad to have over 90 minutes running in the legs.

Question relating to food.
    I didn't eat anything before the run and didn't feel hungry during the run. Should you always eat before an LSR or is it better to get your body used to running without food once a week as per McMillan or is this a bad idea for a novice and I'm getting ahead of myself (as frequently happens :))

Thanks again to amadeus, keep up the good work. I haven't gotten so excited about an update since....well ever.:D

• Advertisement

MG - I know you are looking at the 16 week plan from the nin-runners guide. Can I suggest that you do this weeks training rather than last weeks training though as the LSR is lower and you don't need to do the LT part. This weeks should be easier than last.

For everyone else the LT run is an "add on", do it if you can but don't beat yourself up about it. Volume and ocnsistency of training is the key to base building. And I forgot to say its 1 mile slow, 2 miles @ LT and 1 mile slow (cool down)

Advertisement