Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Now i wont be able to sleep tonight...

• 27-04-2009 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

Fella across the road just knocked on my door and said to me,
    (Firstly, i live in a corner house and have a side gate and side wall goes out onto the road)
    Last night he looked out his window (his house faces mine) and seen some fella on a bicycle jumping over my wall into my back garden (where i keep the bike at night)
    He reckons he was getting over to check what lock(s) i have on the bike.
    I have had a bike robbed from my back garden once before (they didnt get very far before i caught them)
    I have an oxford chain and heavy duty tri-circle lock.
    On the side gate i have 3 slide bolts held with 3 good locks.
    I know with the right tools they can have my bike away in under 5 mins without disturbing anyone.
    Theres no immovable object to lock it to.
    So tonight i have moved the bike right into the corner, put the patio table (one of them big plastic ones) right in front of it, 2 chairs sitting on the bike, another 2 on the table AND all 3 wheelie bins in front of the bike.
    Im hoping if they do attempt it, they will make enough noise to wake someone in the house.

Can we not have anything these days without worrying if it will be there in the morning....
    You cant win

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Might be worth investing in a ground anchor and a good alarm.

Perhaps cementing some broken glass onto the top of your wall too!?

Little bastards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Little bastards!

Some good idea's here......I would do them if I were you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,729 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Guard dog would be a good investment. Or a shotgun.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Simon Jester

Landmines :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

51oog.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

What about a security light. I know even with my blinds and curtains drawn, whenever the security light goes off, I can see it enough to wake me up (if that makes sense)
    Why not a bike shed thats alarmed? I know its ott, but to be honest you can't beat a small slice of 'piece of mind'.

Little bastards!

this is my parents house, i wont be living here much longer.
    I just realised there is the washing line pole which is cemented into the ground but its at the end og the garden and if they just snip the lock there wont be much point.

I think an alarm is the next option i shall be looking into
    had an alarm on my last bike.
    not sure how other bike alarms work but the fella that installed it, put a mercury tilt switch into it and it worked great.

What about a security light. I know even with my blinds and curtains drawn, whenever the security light goes off, I can see it enough to wake me up (if that makes sense)
    Why not a bike shed thats alarmed? I know its ott, but to be honest you can't beat a small slice of 'piece of mind'.

my parents sleep in the back room of the house and they would sleep through an atomic bomb. they dont wake up for nothing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Bike is small enough to bring inside the back door?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

security light is a v. cheap investment - Eur 20 ??

Alarm your bike as a matter of course, always. No matter where you live - even at your parents !!

CCTV is the next thing to look at - again, it's not expensive now.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Get a decent ground anchor and a big fookin chain.

galwaytt wrote: »
    security light is a v. cheap investment - Eur 20 ??

Alarm your bike as a matter of course, always. No matter where you live - even at your parents !!

CCTV is the next thing to look at - again, it's not expensive now.

Was going to get a security light but by the time i was told of the "imminent threat" it was too late, woodies etc all closed.. will get one tomorrow for sure

Could hear my dad complaining already about a big wet greasy bike in the kitchen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I have an alarmed pad lock on my shed door. noisy ****er if you so much as touch off it. one of them on a chain should be enough to panic them when it goes off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

hammer a few 6inch nails in to planks of wood and leave them in the access and exit areas of your gaffs garden at nite,that will **** em sneaky fooks in ther nikeys,it will be a experience they will never 4get i there stupid enough to stand on them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

create an ambush. leave all the gates opens and the bike in the middle of the garden. Dig a pit in front of the bike (tell ur folks ur partaking in a spot of landscaping). Cover with blanket, grass and twigs.Lace wire across the pit which is attached to a good few tin pans which will bang together when scumbag enters pit. Alternatively connect wires to a pully system and a mesh net to snare said scumbag. Once captured, poke with stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭rameire

paulieeye wrote: »
    create an ambush. leave all the gates opens and the bike in the middle of the garden. Dig a pit in front of the bike (tell ur folks ur partaking in a spot of landscaping). Cover with blanket, grass and twigs.Lace wire across the pit which is attached to a good few tin pans which will bang together when scumbag enters pit. Alternatively connect wires to a pully system and a mesh net to snare said scumbag. Once captured, poke with stick.

seen as you have seemed to have gone all out, id call the A-Team.

a ground anchor would also do,
    you could even make one yourseld out of a piece of metal pipe and two large bolts.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

In Berlin you can just leave your (expensive and fast) bike just on the footpath outside your apartment block with the steering lock on and it'll be there in the morning. There's less of a thieving bastard culture in Berlin of course. It always makes me smile to see pricey bikes just sitting there "for the taking" but nobody does, at least not often enough to encourage many people to use heavier locks. People here use heavier locks on their push-bikes than their motorbikes which is also amusing!

If it's your folks house then buy a ground anchor-you'll surely visit them and will have a secure locking point when you do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

murphaph wrote: »
    In Berlin you can just leave your (expensive and fast) bike just on the footpath outside your apartment block with the steering lock on and it'll be there in the morning. There's less of a thieving bastard culture in Berlin of course. It always makes me smile to see pricey bikes just sitting there "for the taking" but nobody does, at least not often enough to encourage many people to use heavier locks. People here use heavier locks on their push-bikes than their motorbikes which is also amusing!

If it's your folks house then buy a ground anchor-you'll surely visit them and will have a secure locking point when you do!

Its the same here in Munich. When I got my new ZZR1400, which is parked in my garage I went out and bought a big FO chain and lock from Louis. I got some funny looks when I was at the till and the lady asked was I going somewhere nice on holiday. The idea of locking your bike here is completely alien, because I was buying a chain they thought I was going west somewhere.

When I lived in Dublin I lost many a nights sleep over bike security. In my opinion you can never have enough chains, locks, alarms, shotguns etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

As a matter of interest, what type of bike is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Is it a Gilera Runner?!

I think for the sake of a scooter having it chained to something solid will deter most young wuns looking for a joy ride.

• Advertisement

KTRIC wrote: »
    Its the same here in Munich. When I got my new ZZR1400, which is parked in my garage I went out and bought a big FO chain and lock from Louis. I got some funny looks when I was at the till and the lady asked was I going somewhere nice on holiday. The idea of locking your bike here is completely alien, because I was buying a chain they thought I was going west somewhere.
    Well Toytown is a league apart again! ;)

I always find it funny that ze germans lock the wheel of their (push) bike to the frame but often leave the bike itslef unlocked to an immovable object, despite there being railings, lamposts etc. in the immediate vicinity! You could just pick the bike up and walk off.

I remember asking a german pal why they don't lock their bikes (in Cologne at the time) and he said "why? if someone wants a bike they will buy one". He was genuinely puzzled at my question. Theft is that much rarer in Germany that you never even see house alarms on apartments and very rarely on houses.

Well Toytown is a league apart again! ;)

Don't get me started about that site, bunch of F**king morons the lot of them.

KTRIC wrote: »
    Don't get me started about that site, bunch of F**king morons the lot of them.
    Quite a few "attitudes" about the place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Quite a few "attitudes" about the place!

whats toytown:(

i love all the above idea but what id do is hide pins and stanely blades in the seat and grips and maul the bastard haha

whats toytown:(

i love all the above idea but what id do is hide pins and stanely blades in the seat and grips and maul the bastard haha

Its an "online community" in the loosest terms. Populated by grumpy, ignorant ex-pats living in Germany. Mostly English and Americans and it really shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

Plug the bike frame into the mains leccy supply and when they touch it they'll scream so loud that you'll wake very quickly. Have buckets of water by the window to fire at them then..no one likes cold water being thrown at them.

Seriously though, get a ground anchor sorted, disc lock the front, u-lock through the back wheel. Big chain attached bike to anchor. Three locks on the sidegate seem a good bet to be fair but maybe have three different types or makes so they'd need different tools and stuff. Grease the tops of the wall...very slippy then!

Alarm the bike if you like it that much too.

Security light out the back would be a good idea too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Just smear along the top of the walls with engine greese.sdtops the little fu*kers from climbing over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    Just smear along the top of the walls with engine greese.sdtops the little fu*kers from climbing over.

That is actually a very good idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

use to live in a side house..amount of times local scummers would be over trying to take my bike..

plus it makes ****e of whatever they are wearing:)

also with glass they can sue you if they cut themselves believe it or not!

• Advertisement

@ MrJoesoap & View Profile : Yes its a Gilera Runner
    I know its only a moped
    compared to some of the bikes on here it doesnt compare.
    The grease thing is a good idea but not applicable here because
    1. The wall is really long, would need a s**t load of grease
    2. theres other gardens they can come through to get to mine really hard to explain.

I am going to buy a security light, will it cost much to get it fitted?

another thing, lab mouse is right, we used to have glass on the wall for years and the council came around and told us it was illegal and we had to chisel it off.

Oh and can you give me more info on a ground anchor, how to fit etc etc?

Advertisement