Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E scooter - Worth While or Waste of Time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

I was talking to the RSA and I believe it to be exempt for tax & insurance as it is under 1000Kw
    Is it road legal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭poreilly101

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Is it road legal?

The guy i was talking to in the RSA was of the impression that as it was under 1000kw it was exempt! If it was the 49cc petrol scooter I would have to get a cert to say it was roadworthy and it would have to be taxed and insured as a moped!

They are interesting, I was looking buying directly from China for a fraction of the cost of that in the advert. May get caught with shipping costs. If I was looking at buying 5 or more i'd have them for a song

The petrol units look even better but the problem is if I'm sticking it in the booth it may be a little messy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...if it can do more than....15km/h iirc....you'll have to tax, insure, register, no plates, lights, helmet, licence etc.

Which means you can't use it on the footpath, either.........only on the road...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

if its a mpv its needs insurance and a liscence to drive it,theres no such ting as free economical travel in ireland unless you own an ass and cart :)

Looks like a waste of time and money to be honest.

• Advertisement

if its a mpv its needs insurance and a liscence to drive it,theres no such ting as free economical travel in ireland unless you own an ass and cart :)

honeybadger Is this what you're talking about Cart.jpg

honeybadger Is this what you're talking about Cart.jpg
    lmao off,looks like he could do with a few more horse power there tho lol is that legal lol its looks like the arab version of buckaroo lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I wouldn't be seen dead on a scooter not to mention an E scooter :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I'll be trying a bigger elec one in a few week's, so I'll post up, then on how I get on......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

lmao off,looks like he could do with a few more horse power there tho lol is that legal lol its looks like the arab version of buckaroo lol
    r should i have say you know wot its like to be made an ass of in public lol the poor donkey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The guy i was talking to in the RSA was of the impression that as it was under 1000kw it was exempt! If it was the 49cc petrol scooter I would have to get a cert to say it was roadworthy and it would have to be taxed and insured as a moped!

They are interesting, I was looking buying directly from China for a fraction of the cost of that in the advert. May get caught with shipping costs. If I was looking at buying 5 or more i'd have them for a song

The petrol units look even better but the problem is if I'm sticking it in the booth it may be a little messy

That looks like it has a direct drive, therefore it's a Powered Two Wheeler(PTW) and needs licence, tax and insurance. E-bikes are only legal as they are "assisted" by the motor and aren't supposed to go without the operator peddling.

Thing with the guy from the RSA, he has no real idea what you're talking about and he's not going to be pulled by the Gardai while driving it. I'd get an email address for the person from the RSA and send him the link you provided us and get it in writing from him that it doesn't need licence, tax and insurance.

But you could still be done if out on the public street on it as I don't think there is anyway to legally drive it as it has a direct drive and isn't assisted and falls into the PTW zone and no-one provides insurance for them.

Del2005 wrote: »
    That looks like it has a direct drive, therefore it's a Powered Two Wheeler(PTW) and needs licence, tax and insurance. E-bikes are only legal as they are "assisted" by the motor and aren't supposed to go without the operator peddling.

Thing with the guy from the RSA, he has no real idea what you're talking about and he's not going to be pulled by the Gardai while driving it. I'd get an email address for the person from the RSA and send him the link you provided us and get it in writing from him that it doesn't need licence, tax and insurance.

But you could still be done if out on the public street on it as I don't think there is anyway to legally drive it as it has a direct drive and isn't assisted and falls into the PTW zone and no-one provides insurance for them.

I actually did send him the link and we discussed it, never got anything in writing. TBH I've parked the idea, much more hassle than it's worth. What new toy next guys and gals? I'm toying with the idea of getting a Honda Bros or something around that size. I've a full car licence, what is required to get a motor bike licence. I want to be able to drive something bigger than 125CC, is there a size/power restriction.I'm late 20's in age.

Where do i start...I wouldn't mind spending a few bob getting started. I've have seen a Ducati 916 Biposto in mint condition that a pal is selling for about 4k... Will i be able to get insurance on such a bike?

I've a full car licence, what is required to get a motor bike licence. I want to be able to drive something bigger than 125CC, is there a size/power restriction.I'm late 20's in age.

Where do i start...I wouldn't mind spending a few bob getting started. I've have seen a Ducati 916 Biposto in mint condition that a pal is selling for about 4k... Will i be able to get insurance on such a bike?

Your car licence is completely irrelevant. You need to do the theory test and apply for a bike licence.There are power/weight restrictions on bike licences, these last for two years after you get your full licence. Forget about the ducati.

Your car licence is completely irrelevant. You need to do the theory test and apply for a bike licence.There are power/weight restrictions on bike licences, these last for two years after you get your full licence. Forget about the ducati.

No harm in dreaming Nialler24. So would i what is the most power i can look at? is it measured by CC or BHP.

No harm in dreaming Nialler24. So would i what is the most power i can look at? is it measured by CC or BHP.

It's a power/weight ratio. Divide the bikes horsepower by the weight and if it's less than 0.16 it should be learner legal-use this as a very rough guide only!
    Most bike manufacturers offer restricted bikes.The suzuki bandit and yamaha fazer are well worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Ok Firstly - Most of them are really unreliable and end up breaking after a few months. The Goped's are generally the only reliable brand but they are expensive. The Goped ESR750EX is the best one on the market.

I had a petrol Goped - they are cheaper, but pretty loud and will generally attract attention from Gardaí. Electric ones don't. They aren't road-legal btw. I looked into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I had a look at the e-scooter ad on ebay. They have a top speed of 25kmph, its there for a reason. The bicycle paths here have a max speed of 25, so this thing is really aimed at the German market. And we have cycle paths everywhere.

Not much use in Ireland I would think. I must have a look at a Go-Ped myself, handy for popping down to the shops.

I asked about the legality of them when I lived in Ireland but was told under no circumstances that they would be legalised for use on Irish roads due to safety issues.

Advertisement