Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby-Leinster or Munster

Options
  • 27-04-2009 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭

Who do we as Kilkenny born and breds like Ian Dowling want to win the Heineken Cup semi-final? If it wasn't for Cork, Clare, Tipperary, Limerick, Kerry and Waterford, I might have supported Munster.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Leinster. I refuse to engage with the Munsturrrr bandwagon :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

Munster, no question about it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

nuttz wrote: »
    Munster, no question about it for me.
    If Leinster fans ever get a personality I might change my allegiance...leinster....lerinster....leinster..... Boring as fook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭conorlechance

Do what the majority Irish soccer fans do and support whoever is the better team or a team in another country, I support Toulouse to be pedantic, but have now decided to support Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Generally i prefer Leinster but if Munster are in the Heineken cup final etc i will support them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭enry

Munster all the way. I'm a kilkenny man but leinster rugby is for those boys from the pale.

Leinster rugby seems to represent the D4 element alone. I'd rather die then sing "Molly Malone" at a rugby match.

In fairness I suppose some of those leinster boy have deadly hair cuts and its amazing how they manage to keep them in perfect condition the whole way through their match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

enry wrote: »
    In fairness I suppose some of those leinster boy have deadly hair cuts and its amazing how they manage to keep them in perfect condition the whole way through their match.

That must be recycled Gryllcream from the Dublin chippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭The Davestator

This question is exactly the same as asking someone in kilkenny who they are going to support in the All ireland Hurling Championship. my point is, you don't get to choose who you support, it's where you are born / live. The only reason people get to choose whtever english team they want is that they were not born over there.
    By the rational used here by some posters, if Cork start to dominate in hurling in 20 years, they'll be shouting for the rebels!

This question is exactly the same as asking someone in kilkenny who they are going to support in the All ireland Hurling Championship. my point is, you don't get to choose who you support, it's where you are born / live. The only reason people get to choose whtever english team they want is that they were not born over there.
    By the rational used here by some posters, if Cork start to dominate in hurling in 20 years, they'll be shouting for the rebels!

You don't get it, do you? Munster player Ian Dowling is FROM Kilkenny, unlike any of the Leinster players. The point of the thread is that some Kilkenny people do feel more of an affinity to a generally highly regarded local and his team, than a remote D4-centred team purporting to represent Leinster. You need to look at your own rationale, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Think Leinster is represented by quite a geographical spread. Horgan is from Louth, D’arcy from Wexford, Jackman from Carlow, Heaslip from Kildare. Even O’Driscoll is from north Dublin, so its a bit unfair to say they are all D4

• Advertisement

I can agree with that, Drummerboy. But I've been to Leinster matches here in England and as a possible fan (by birth, it seems), I've felt about as much a Leinsterman as I am a Dubliner, because that's basically what Leinster away fans were: Dubliners. Munster or indeed any other Irish provincial rugby is not dominated by a single county to that extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dub.

I'm from Leinster,so i will be obviously supporting Leinster.

djScarey wrote: »
    You don't get it, do you? Munster player Ian Dowling is FROM Kilkenny, unlike any of the Leinster players. The point of the thread is that some Kilkenny people do feel more of an affinity to a generally highly regarded local and his team, than a remote D4-centred team purporting to represent Leinster. You need to look at your own rationale, I think.

What will happen when ian Dowling transfers to the Ospreys or Stade francais? Will you be donning a different jersey then?!

As for you rationale, what would happen if there were players from Kilkenny on both teams?, what would you do if Munster were playing the Ospreys and ian Dowling was playing for the Ospreys?, would that mean you would not support Munster??

not trying to have a go, but it really annoys me when people ingore their birth place and shamelessly jump on the Munster band wagon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

What will happen when ian Dowling transfers to the Ospreys or Stade francais? Will you be donning a different jersey then?!

As for you rationale, what would happen if there were players from Kilkenny on both teams?, what would you do if Munster were playing the Ospreys and ian Dowling was playing for the Ospreys?, would that mean you would not support Munster??

not trying to have a go, but it really annoys me when people ingore their birth place and shamelessly jump on the Munster band wagon

The mistake you are making here is that you dont have to be from Munster to play for Munster, why in that case would you have to be from Munster to support them. There are kilkenny, dublin, meath, kiwi, aussie, figian players on the team..... support the team you want and f*ck the begrudgers!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

For all you Munster fans from Kilkenny..................tipp hurling jersey's on special in elvery's on high street!!!!!!:D:D:D

D_Red_Army wrote: »
    The mistake you are making here is that you dont have to be from Munster to play for Munster, why in that case would you have to be from Munster to support them. There are kilkenny, dublin, meath, kiwi, aussie, figian players on the team..... support the team you want and f*ck the begrudgers!!!!!!

'Nuff said. Fair comment!!!

Two more places on the band wagon for dj and red army please...
    if the unlikely happens and leinster win, sure you can always hop aboard your home province's band wagon then - maybe you're right, just support the favourites and never be disappointed, it's so simple.

Davestator, I neither support Munster nor Leinster on any consistent basis and thought that was clear. I'm not a bandwagon hopper, just don't feel any strong affiliation to either team. But maybe it looks different when you're blinkered by stereotypes to prove to yourself.

Two more places on the band wagon for dj and red army please...
    if the unlikely happens and leinster win, sure you can always hop aboard your home province's band wagon then - maybe you're right, just support the favourites and never be disappointed, it's so simple.

meh.....

Are there seriously any Leinster men cheering on the opposition tomorrow?

You should hang your heads in shame lads,honestly.

• Advertisement

It is somewhat paradoxical that many of the same diehard and rabid Leinster rugby men will be cheering for anyone but Leinster team Kilkenny come All Ireland hurling time, while seeing holes in everyone else's "supporter logic."

And presumably they're deaf (and Internet rugby forum blind) when they miss the vitriol and scorn poured by Leinster fans onto Ian Dowling for not waiting 100 years for Leinster to discover him. And when by chance you hear this stuff at eg Welford Road and Twickenham and you happen to come from Kilkenny, you might think: "Nah. I'm not one of this tribe."

May the best team win.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I never understood why Munster sing about fields in Connacht all time...

mick_irl wrote: »
    I never understood why Munster sing about fields in Connacht all time...

Munster sing the fields because its NOT a munster song.... i.e. Limerick fans wouldnt sing "the banks of my own lovely lee", cork fans wouldnt sing "sean south from garryowen" etc.......

In fact Leinster making "molly malone" their unoffical anthem is part of the reason those outside the pale find it difficult to associate with the team.....

:DFor the record I am actually from Limerick:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

:DFor the record I am actually from Limerick:D

That's fair enough.

I just don't get why Leinster born and breds follow Munster to be honest. I'm not telling anyone who they should and shouldn't follow, as that's not my place, but to me it just doesn't make sense.

I'm blue, and forever blue.

andyman wrote: »
    That's fair enough.

I just don't get why Leinster born and breds follow Munster to be honest. I'm not telling anyone who they should and shouldn't follow, as that's not my place, but to me it just doesn't make sense.

I'm blue, and forever blue.

Where in Leinster are you from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Where in Leinster are you from?

I'm from Kilkenny. Go to the same school that Mr Dowling went to as well.

andyman wrote: »
    I'm from Kilkenny. Go to the same school that Mr Dowling went to as well.

Some legend that lad, he did a great interview in the sunday indo where he talks about the whole "Lunster" phenom, you should check it out tis an interesting read....
    Anyway enjoy the match tomorrow, hope its a cracker
    (if Leinster win and you want tickets for the final send me a PM)

Hard luck Lunsters.Your guys were out thought and and outfought by a team of Leinstermen.

Will you be supporting your home province in the final by any chance?

Dub. wrote: »
    Hard luck Lunsters.Your guys were out thought and and outfought by a team of Leinstermen.

Will you be supporting your home province in the final by any chance?

I take it you were at the game then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

fair amount of blow ins on the leinster team as well...:p

Advertisement