Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marino Crescent

Options
  • 27-04-2009 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi
    Just wondering what its like to live in Marino Crescent (opposite Westwood Gym)? Am considering renting there for a year.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭fionnmar

Anyone? Howth Road, Clontarf? Good place to live?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yes.
    Good proximity to city. Good varied modes of public transport easily accessable. Good bars in vacinity. Good local run of shops with bank, butchers, fish shop etc. Good handy chipper (under re-do at moment), chinese etc.
    Parks and beach close by too.

(PS why such haste in looking for a response?)

Thanks for that. Sounds good.
    Have been looking for somewhere decent but half affordable to live for ages and want to commit tomorrow before anyone else gets in. Despite what they have been saying about falling rents etc I still found it difficult to find a place for a single person to afford and just want to bag this one and call the search off.
    Thanks again.

PS - whats the best bars in the area :pac: not such a panic for an answer to this one but would be nice to get a taste of the local beverage stores! will be happy to do my own research on this one when i get settled in (hopefully)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

kavanaghs do a lovely pint. other pubs in the area are graingers, smyths, gaffneys (another great pint) and dare i mention it..barcode.

• Advertisement

I know what you mean about supposed rent drops. I've been half keeping an eye out for a change too as my rent now appear exorbitant to what I hear. Yet it still seams pricey especially for a place for one.

Best bar in area is Harry Byrne's on the Howth Rd. It's about 7 minute walk from crescent, it is a little posh but still a good feel to it. Cosy fires in winter big beer garden for summer. Kavanagh's on Malkahide Rd is a grand pub, simple decent service with a friendly clientle. Up Fairview end is Gaffney's, some think it a smelly ol' lad pubs but I like the 'earthyness' of it. There are no pubs in the area that you need to be wary of or completely avoid but you'll find one that suits you easily. Barcode at that gym place is still doing business, the crowd is teens to early twenties so I don't know much about it.
    A little stroll towards the coast and 10 minutes up you'll find a Casa Pasta which is better run than most of that chain and it's simple cheap and cheerful italian (surprisingly good wine list). Brahm Stokers for breakfast and afternoon coffee is a great little cafe, that's over at the bike shop.

Treat yourself and stop off early on way home and pop into Cusack's, one of Dublin's best pubs. It's on the right as you come over the canal bridge heading out of town.

Thanks a million, really hope I get the place....sounds like a great place to live. Cheers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I'd say its a great spot to live, esp if you work in the city centre.
    The only negatives would be the sheer volume of traffic passing through the area every day, but I'm sure you could get used to that after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Good handy chipper (under re-do at moment)

Cappochis? He sold off. It's all gone :(

I stayed in one of them apartments on the cresent after a night out, the balcony was amazing!

sunnyjim wrote: »
    Cappochis? He sold off. It's all gone :(

I stayed in one of them apartments on the cresent after a night out, the balcony was amazing!

Decorators are in at the moment. I don't know what they're putting in place but it's certainly a foodytypethingymebobbers going by the lay out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Is this the chipper next door to Kavanagh's?

Vile place, with microwaved burgers :mad:

Des wrote: »

That's the one. Never had a burger but did have a nice cod from there about two year ago. It had a fruit machine in it too which I like when I've a belly full of beer.(Classy bloke me y'know).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

yeah its rotten. hillbilly's on the strip is lovely though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

And i thought that was just me. Admittly i was locked after a long session after a Dublin game but i knew the burger was funny.
    yeah its rotten. hillbilly's on the strip is lovely though

Top shout

Hillbilly's is the best around. Mash potato, gravy and chicken. Delicious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I actually don't like Hillbilly's.

Fairview Grill is top notch though, a bit further towards the Tolka.

Fairview grill isn't bad at all.
    There is a cracking butchers on that run too. It's blue fronted but can't remember name off-hand. Wuality butchers though.

Advertisement