Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about excess produce

Options
  • 27-04-2009 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

We've been thinking of putting together a website to let home grow gardeners advertise fruit and veg that they would like to share with other people in their community.

There's a small exchange website based out of australia that's trying something similar:
    http://homegrowers.ning.com/

But the question is: how often do gardeners find themselves with a harvest that they cannot consume themselves?

How often do you have excess fruit or veg that you could give away (or even sell)?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 folgi

just read a similiar thread- i think it sounds great. i just started veg growing last year and having sown plenty of seed (what with the risk of some them not germinating, or slugs, cutworm etc), i ended up with excess salad especially rocket and mustard. there's only 2 of us to feed from our produce and realistically a handful of plants suffice. i hated seeing it go to waste so i would make up salad bags for people at work, friends, visitors etc. it was very satisfying but money and time had gone into it at the beginning and not for it to be given away so abundantly. i ended up bartering it with a local veg shop and was so thrilled with the exchange. i was happy to share my produce with others but being able to exchange was a bonus. in saying that the excess was confined to salad type crops, -it was possible to store the rest of the harvest over the winter and i'v just used my last garlic bulb, harvested last august!
    at the same time you could swop some storable veg for veg that you didn't grow or wern't successful with. mmmmm, interesting area though. i think you could be onto something!

Advertisement