Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayhem in Dolphin House

Options
  • 27-04-2009 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Local's were going to a meeting in the area in a fight against the rise in drugs and vandalism in the area. They were greeted by a bomb scare, scumbags going mad causing riots... They weren't allowed to leave the area and upto 60 people were arrested... Reserve squads were called in from Sundrive, Kevins St and somewhere else..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 mn-wergamers

No link. I just live around the corner in Rialto so i said i'd post it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

No link. I just live around the corner in Rialto so i said i'd post it.

i was in rialto on friday night at a party and walked down the canal at 7 the following morning through dolphins barn, it was like a ghost town.

when did all this happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 mn-wergamers

i was in rialto on friday night at a party and walked down the canal at 7 the following morning through dolphins barn, it was like a ghost town.

when did all this happen

2-3 Hours ago.

Whats the bets that they were all watching "The General" last night :p.

EDIT:- Mods I think this would be best off in Dublin County South. Didn't see there when I was posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Par for the course.

Seriously though, the residents of Dolphin House are calling for a permanent Garda Station in the flats and to be honest, thats ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

a number of minor disturbances
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

This is a fairly dodgy area of dublin. I agree that there should be a constant garda presence here... and not just a presence... an armed presence.

I go past here nearly 10 times a week on the bus, and it always has some group of yobbos or thugs lookin dodgy clearly drinking or doing drugs in public eye.

Area needs to be cleaned up imo...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Africa wrote: »
    This is a fairly dodgy area of dublin. I agree that there should be a constant garda presence here... and not just a presence... an armed presence.

I go past here nearly 10 times a week on the bus, and it always has some group of yobbos or thugs lookin dodgy clearly drinking or doing drugs in public eye.

A lot of places need an initiative to tackle anti-social behaviour..the thugs will cave in if people stand up to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

yeah there is a lot of places. Surely they should just be tackled though :S I would gladly have my taxes going to more garda presence in the areas...

Somehow dublin gets 25th in the world but i wonder if the scum was taken into account.

Armed presence!? Bit drastic tbh, there's alot of crap happening that whole area, all along the luas lines, etc... and there used to be murder in Teresa's Gardens, etc... but not even 24/7 garda presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Anto McC wrote: »
    Seriously though, the residents of Dolphin House are calling for a permanent Garda Station in the flats and to be honest, thats ridiculous.

Why? Better than them hanging around in Donnybrook yawning (The Garda I know hate being stationed there because nothing happens)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

Armed presence!? Bit drastic tbh, there's alot of crap happening that whole area, all along the luas lines, etc... and there used to be murder in Teresa's Gardens, etc... but not even 24/7 garda presence.

I wouldn't say it was drastic if I lived right beside it. I think the people worst affected by this would try anything at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Something along the lines of Concerned Parents Against Drugs only it would be more Decent People Against Scumbags.

If enough of these groups sprang up the scum would soon lose the heart for struggle and either cop on or move out.
    Imo,the only way to deal with these people is to evict them,the vast majority are local authority freeloaders.
    If they cant behave **** em out..and that includes the mamies and daddies who couldnt give a shiite what thier kids are up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

If these horroble events happened in Donnybrook, it will be headlines on RTE news straight away.

donaghs wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it was drastic if I lived right beside it. I think the people worst affected by this would try anything at this stage.

Well I live right beside St. Teresa's Gardens and I can tell you from experience it was a lot worse than Dolphin House (this is about 2 years ago before they started to re-house people from St. Teresa's Gardens to make way for a new development).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnJericho

This is southsiders for you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

suddenly they dod something about it when a cop gets attacked, cops always put themselves before everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

suddenly they dod something about it when a cop gets attacked, cops always put themselves before everyone else.

Hopefully a drunken post because you are completely wrong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭johnl

Nope.

The gardaí just need to get out of their cars and walk around. Increased and obvious police presence on the beat would surely improve things.
    It's well-known that police in cars are almost useless for community policing, but their laziness and institutional stupidity means most gardaí still cruise around in their cars.
    Police in cars actually alienate a community further, making them feel like the police are untouchable, unapproachable. Meanwhile, criminals flourish.

This is a more general statement about the change in policing style in Ireland over the last 20 years, but the symptoms are right there in Dolphin House.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

johnl wrote: »
    Nope.

The gardaí just need to get out of their cars and walk around. Increased and obvious police presence on the beat would surely improve things.
    It's well-known that police in cars are almost useless for community policing, but their laziness and institutional stupidity means most gardaí still cruise around in their cars.
    Police in cars actually alienate a community further, making them feel like the police are untouchable, unapproachable. Meanwhile, criminals flourish.

This is a more general statement about the change in policing style in Ireland over the last 20 years, but the symptoms are right there in Dolphin House.

You sir should not really comment on policing as your ignornace shows you have little knowledge in the area.

Patrol cars have to be filled first. Then people are put out on the beat.

A Garda district (in dublin) might be a few miles across (could be 100+ miles across in the countrty) with maybe only 4-8 gards working a shift or 2 or 3gards in the country.

No point in having them all walking around on the beat. It could take them up to an hour to get anywhere or a day in the country.

With 20+ on a shift yeah we could have gardai on the beat constantly in every neighbourhood.

Dont blame the gardai and call them lazy, blame the government. And yes they have now stopped recruiting gardai so expect it to get worse.

Was talking to a mate last night, she was saying that there was lads as young as 17 threatening old women, saying that the area is theirs (aka the drug dealers), scary times for people in Dolphin House.

Advertisement