Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are these guys offering?

• 27-04-2009 11:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

I'm probably too lazy to head to the UK, but I was taking a look on some sites to see what's there. I came across this site which is charging £495 for a "UK-Ireland Import package".

So, by the looks of things, you're paying for your own travel to and from one of their collection points in Birmingham or Liverpool. For the £495 you get:
    • Complete set of documents for importation. I would assume if you've bought the car they'd be giving you your ownership documents - what else would be needed that you can't get for free from the Revenue?
    • Telephone support and advice throughout the importation. "Help! I'm feeling sea sick and my coffee is spilling!"
    • Offer a complete transport/Registration service with a support team based in Ireland. What?? They don't seem to be transporting me - I'm paying for that, and it appears I'm paying to transport my car too. So what are they transporting?
    • Collection from the UK to Dublin Ireland. Collecting what? They've already said you pay for the ferry and stuff. Does some guy drive the car over on the ferry for you? While you sit beside him and entertain him with stories of the time you were sea sick and spilled your coffee?
    • Handling of all import documents. Thanks. What import documents?
    • Arrange appointment with Dublin VRT office for vehicle inspection Do you need to arrange an appointment? I thought you just turned up during office hours.
    • Transport to Dublin VRT office. Hmm, I've just bought a car. However will I get to the VRT office?
    • Return to Dublin office. What Dublin office? Now I'm really confused.
    • Arrange or new number plates to be fitted. (Optional cost £50) OK, fair enough if I didn't own a screwdriver that might be handy
    • All this for only £495 Sounds fab - where do I sign up?

Seriously though, am I missing something huge here? Is this really a useful service?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The page isn't very clear (I think the "Travel" heading is supposed to be completely separate information from the "Import Package"), but I think that £495 includes delivery of your car to Dublin, and you don't have to go to the UK. So you don't have to worry about being sea sick or spilling your coffee (but I could be wrong).

That's what this page suggests anyway:

http://www.autoquake.com/delivery
    If you live in Ireland, Autoquake.com offers a convenient and affordable import package. This makes it easy for you to buy a car from us and get it delivered to Ireland. For £495, we will take care of the paperwork and will deliver the car to our handover center in Dublin where you can come and collect it. For more information, visit our page on the Irish car import process and our page on the Autoquake Irish import package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

phutyle wrote: »
    The page isn't very clear (I think the "Travel" heading is supposed to be completely separate information from the "Import Package"), but I think that £495 includes delivery of your car to Dublin, and you don't have to go to the UK. So you don't have to worry about being sea sick or spilling your coffee (but I could be wrong).

That's what this page suggests anyway:

http://www.autoquake.com/delivery

That would make a lot more sense - thank you! I think it may just have been the different header sizes that confused me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 clem-autoquake

Hello there,
    Apologies for the late reply, I only came across this thread today. phutyle is right - Autoquake's Ireland import package includes the delivery from either Birmingham or Leeds to a Dublin handover centre, where the handover occurs, the relevant paperworks, and assistance during the whole process. We started offering this service based on Irish customers feedback who wanted a way to buy UK cars from us without having to make the round trip to England. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

The page mentioned above will be updated shortly to make it clearer exactly what the service includes (and its many benefits for Irish cutsomers :) ).

Thanks and regards,
    Clement (Autoquake.com)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Thanks for the update Clement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement