Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request: Good Web Browser Phone - But Not iPhone!!

• 28-04-2009 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭

Hi,

It's time for an over hall of my phone. Since dropping it on a night out about 6 months ago, I've gotten used to the fact that the screen doesn't light up any more and it's perfectly normal to me to lean over, squint my eyes and walk under lights (nightmare when in pub) to try and read my text messages - but it's time to move on! I'm becoming a joke!! :p So on recommendation of a friend, I need a new phone.

The main features I'm looking for is an iPhone TYPE phone, but without the price tag and commitment. I'm on billpay with 3 but would like to go pre-pay. I would like my phone to be an internet browser as much as it is a phone.

An example is the LG Cookie phone I saw and thought was decent, but is there anything simular / better out there for net browsing and general usage? The phone seems like it's pretty poor quality compared to iPhone and screen kind of plasticy and not as responsive (hence price difference, I know) but can it play You Tube video's and stuff like the iPhone or have applications like GPS etc? LG Cookie is last resort as my girlfriend was the one who got it a couple of days ago and she doesn't want me to copy her :rolleyes: - and is dead serious about it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So pretty much looking for a touch screen internet browser phone.

Two more questions - for someone who is 80% texter, 20% talker - what is the best pre-pay service? O2 seem good with free texts to any network, but are there strings attached and also how do their call rates compare to other pre-pay (could not locate good info on net) - Also - if I'm browsing the internet on prepay, am I going to get shafted??

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I would go for the Nokia 5800 in your position

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Try an unlocked Google Android G-1, should be some kncking about on adverts.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Sorry, should have mentioned budget is about €150 - €200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Sorry, should have mentioned budget is about €150 - €200

You would pick up an almost brand new Nokia 5800 on adverts for a little over €200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

For your budget the Cookie is a good buy and you could use it on the experience more price plan. All you will then need to worry about is topping the phone up by €20 a month. The interent on the phone is fair enough too at 99c per day for 50MB and 20 pages of Bebo per day for free.(if you are on bebo)
    If you need more info give me a shout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

bar the iphone the LG Viewty has a decent web browser, honestly though I'd be looking at the like of the nokia e71 if you want a good web experience on your handset, the iphone looks slick but it is by no means the best all round browser...
    Using an app like skyfire on a nokia will give you a full video experice same as your computer....

as for a heavy texter, 3 and there 3cent texts are the best rate available without any top up rules....your already on relax which I think personally is very flexible and hard to beat..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

bar the iphone the LG Viewty has a decent web browser, honestly though I'd be looking at the like of the nokia e71 if you want a good web experience on your handset, the iphone looks slick but it is by no means the best all round browser...
    Using an app like skyfire on a nokia will give you a full video experice same as your computer....

as for a heavy texter, 3 and there 3cent texts are the best rate available without any top up rules....your already on relax which I think personally is very flexible and hard to beat..

The e71 would be a good choice for sure, but the screen is on the small side for web browsing imo. The 5800 is a great handset, and the web browsing on it is great, that large screen is brilliant, some small firmware issues relating to the web browser have been fixed recently. And the 5800's browser supports flash, enabling you to watch youtube and the likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Consider the E61 if cost is a factor ... Will run Opera Mini , Skyfire etc with a bigger screen than the E71 for a fraction of the cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've heard the 5800 is not great for texting?

I thought I'd hate texting on my iPod touch, but I think its great now. Using buttons seems slow when I use my old phone.

Advertisement