Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Still Life Medium Format First Try

• 28-04-2009 12:55am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭

3481761228_20fca61be3.jpg

Shot on Medium Format, scanned and touched up in ps, slight blow out on the basket on the left I'm aware of and trying to think of a way to lose it, not much detail in there to get tho...

for a assignment in college -still life/sunday suppliment style sorta thing, any C&C appriciated...

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I like the chilis Mele. Looks smart but how about a darker type of wood basket to contrast the colours? You could use the same basket just die it.

What kind of camera were you using?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Mamiya RB67

yeah it was a rush job, basket outta bedroom and chillis in the shop on the way... felt like quite the fool asking for a small childs weigh in chillis :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

It looks.. digital? I dunno maybe its my monitor, my laptop screen is way to bright! What film did you use?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

It's floating... I know you have it on a white background for a cutout effect but it's just kind of floating there in the middle of the frame.

It might be a good idea to get in a bit closer and fill the frame more - here's a good example of that, or this one too. The arrangement of the chillies doesn't seem to fit the brief of the sunday supplement thing - maybe it could work using their strong colour as a lead in to a strong geometric composition, like this or this.

I have a definite style in mind that I think of foody still life and it's based more on props and gentle lighting than plain backgrounds so I don't know how difficult it'd be to achieve at such short notice, but it's along these lines - yes i know those aren't red chillies, but I'm just showing the setup.

Are you just going to try and improve on what you shot, or are you going to have another go at it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I don't think you used any of the advantages of shooting film in this. It's overexposed rather than high key... there's some nasty colour casts in there, it's just in the middle of the frame with nothing else of interest around it - There's no life in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

I think it's wonderful.

Medium format seems to invite slap, bang in the middle compositions, or so I remember from the 1950's when it was fashionable.

Those chillis look as if they could burn. And they do look as if they are floating, which is interesting.

Advertisement