Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple Fires in Eastside

Options
  • 28-04-2009 3:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭

Just passing Doughiska/Briarhill on my way home and theres at least 3 separate fires being dealt with by the Fire Brigade. One house(just off the roundabout,on the Carnmore side) and I'm not sure bout the others,but I'd say they're cars.Anyone hear/see anything. Hopefully no-one injured or worse.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Just passing Doughiska/Briarhill on my way home and theres at least 3 separate fires being dealt with by the Fire Brigade. One house(just off the roundabout,on the Carnmore side) and I'm not sure bout the others,but I'd say they're cars.Anyone hear/see anything. Hopefully no-one injured or worse.

Just passed there now.

The house closest to the roundabout is totally gutted, there's a tiny tiny bit of roof left but apart from that it's just bricks.

The next door neighbour's house (a good 50 60 feet away) is also burnt out but not to the extent of the other house. It's hard to tell if the wind blew the fire across or if it was a separate fire, although there are trees between the two houses which still have their leaves.

The rozzers are there and the two properties are cordoned off with police tape.

Few times in my life has my jaw literally dropped, this was one of them.

I sincerely hope no one was hurt

Edit - no one was
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0428/galway.html

Wasn't aware the one beside the roundabout was vacant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Wasn't aware the one beside the roundabout was vacant.

I could be wrong in this but I think a big name supermarket has a few of those houses bought.... thats if I'm thinking of the right houses and if my source was correct.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Tesco I think . They want an exit off that roundabout .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Some of the land they wanted to build on was on an area known as Coolough which is a protected village area on the Galway Development Plan AFAIK so you won't see any shops built there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

over the last few weeks 2 of these houses have had all the windows broken etc..thought maybe was just kids doin it seen as they were unoccupied but the house closest to the roundabout didnt look empty..this house has only been recently done up
    looks a bit dodgy

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

When did galway get an 'eastside'?

snubbleste wrote: »

Eh, wouldn't it be strange if it didn't have an Eastside?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Do you not remember the great Hip Hop wars?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Robbo wrote: »
    Do you not remember the great Hip Hop wars?

Vaguely, I think the Battle of Sliding Rock was a flashpoint?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

When the compass / navigation was invented, I guess :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

back to the topic, they have arrested someone for it. i think it was 3pac.:rolleyes:

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/man-held-in-connection-with-galway-arson-attacks-1722105.html
    Gardai in Galway have arrested a 23-year-ol man in connection with a series of arson attacks on homes and vehicles in the city in the early hours of this morning

I could have sworn that the house closest to the roundabout was occupied. I gave way to someone turning right into it last week as I was coming past.

Photo on RTE now:
    000240d110dr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Did someone say insurance?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Caliden wrote: »
    Did someone say insurance?
    Apparently a caravan and some vans were also arsonised in the same area last night.

I think this was the chap they arrested...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Yeah that's him

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

yeah there were two cars burnt out in an sean bhaile estate across the road in doughiska as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Well done the Gardai for finding this guy so fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Us westies have nothing left to burn in the "Westside" so we are making our way over to the eastside......

Be afraid, be very afraid:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

eastside.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

westside.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Icaruswing

Hmmm, does that new{ish} Dunnes have nightstaff, other than security people? They must've had a front row view of most, if not all the fires. Funny, that close to multiple fires and a large quantity of marsmallows w/o being allowed to combine them, must'va sucked :p

Advertisement