Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Small Spider up *Close* (Macro attempt no.3 - 4 photos)

• 28-04-2009 4:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭

Third time trying out reverse lens macro (with my 3 euro lens reversal ring).

Walking through the Georgian forest I spot this spider on the web...

13E08437A84643698005D1981FC25B18-800.jpg

Kinda pretty...but I wonder what he looks like up close?

*mounts my 50mm f2 onto my 55-200 - zoom out to 200mm*

207094F6CFA8461799C93EFB395AAA05-800.jpg

Woah there big boy!

I was pretty happy with that shot and then noticed something happened when I was taking photos (the spider scurried off to one side):

BCFB1B8D0A4D4FA3ADDA2980C0CA166E-800.jpg

What's that in his hands?

76A18DDDF865491EBE99476DFF903A35-800.jpg

Yup - a fly had flown into his web as I was taking photos...so here I was, watching him wrap up this fly and eat him in real time, up close, through my macro lens...

Hope you enjoyed the series!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Fantastic shots even though i've an unexplanable hatred of spiders :). Full of detail!

How did you manage the dof? When i tried reverse mounting a 50, i found the dof at f5.6 to be razor thin, so thin it was unworkable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Well the reversed 50mm was at f2 - but the 55-200 it was mounted on was at f22-32, a SB600 provided the lighting.

DOF was still razor thin though.

Working distance was around 5 cm from the rear element of the 50mm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭alexandros

Well done!
    These will make an excellent desktop background for work.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Very nice!

We've quite a few of these little guys wandering around our house, quite beautiful spiders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Hay well done.
    I was reading the post expecting up close and your first shot gave the 'what I was expecting'. However I was gobsmacked at the detail you got from the reversing ring (I have to get me one of those). Excellent.

So whats for lunch ....... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Nothing to do with macro photography or reversing rings but check out this little critter who was a 'guest' at a recent Confirmation party I covered and by the way that's not my hand!

80F581CDD80345F5B03B6669F9FAF39F-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

really good but I nearly chundered......spiders euugh....how about photos of a flower next time? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Hay well done.
    I was reading the post expecting up close and your first shot gave the 'what I was expecting'. However I was gobsmacked at the detail you got from the reversing ring (I have to get me one of those). Excellent.

So whats for lunch ....... :D

It's not exactly a normal reversing ring (mount a lens reversed onto the camera) but a filter ring attachment that allows reversing one lens onto another. This way you get much greater magnification e.g. 50mm mounted on 200mm would give you 4x magnification.

And if you mount a reversed lens on a normal lens you don't have to worry about the screen darkening (auto-aperture), lighting (auto-exposure and iTTL flash control). A lot less work than just reversing that nifty fifty!
    coylemj wrote: »
    Nothing to do with macro photography or reversing rings but check out this little critter who was a 'guest' at a recent Confirmation party I covered and by the way that's not my hand!

Ugh - I''m actually not a great fan of spiders either - if this little critter moved towards me I probably would have jumped a feet (especially since I've seen him up close).
    really good but I nearly chundered......spiders euugh....how about photos of a flower next time? :P

Judging from your name you were rooting for the other guy in the picture? ;)

I did my flowers in macro attempt 1 and 2 :P

1F3F7AFE878C418C8551ABFB866D4B83-500.jpg

Now I want to do a human eye...

Advertisement