Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iron Tablets at 37wks????

Options
  • 28-04-2009 9:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can advise on this, was at the midwife's yesterday and she asked if I would benefit from taking iron, before I could ask her why she was talking about baby's position (worried she was breech,not thankfully) so needlessly to say got sidetracked and forgot to ask her about the iron.

This is my 2nd baby and I did not take Iron the 1st time.

I am seeing her again next week but just thought I would see what the general thinking was?

Thanks in advance,

Leisurelady.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭KazDub

The last few weeks of pregnancy can take quite a toll on our bodies. The baby is going to build up six months worth of Iron stores in his / her body by taking it away from you. In order to keep up your own strength and make sure you don't become anemic, you really need to keep your iron levels up. My iron was slightly borderline a few weeks ago and I got a phonecall at home to tell me to go on iron urgently. I now take Ferrograd C tablets as they're the first ones that haven't caused me horrible constipation! You should really take Iron if you're not already but phone your hospital / midwife and discuss with them first of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

Did the midwife say that you needed iron? Taking extra iron supplements if you have normal Hb, ferratin levels etc can cause problems so please check with your midwife first on this.

Best of luck - won't be long now !

Tracy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

I know sometimes they may say to take iron tablets due to the blood loss that occurs during child birth - especially if your iron levels are on the low side. If you do start taking them just check with your chemist first before deciding which ones to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 leisurelady

Hi all,

Thanks for your advice, I am going to contact the midwife and speak to her as want to make sure it is right for me.

Leisurelady...(may have to change my login name in 3wks time) :D

Advertisement