Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strikeforce June 6th

Options
  • 28-04-2009 9:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

Strikeforce really seem to be coming up with a good card for their June 6th event. The following matches are confirmed for the main card:

Robbie Lawler vs. Jake Shields
    Nick Diaz vs. Scott Smith
    Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante vs. Jared Hamman
    Champ Alistair Overeem vs. Brett Rogers (for Strikeforce world heavyweight title)
    Phil Baroni vs. Joe Riggs

I'm assuming no UK/Ireland channel are gonna be kind enough to host this?

Does anyone know any websites that may be hosting it? Whether with a fee or not? I'd certainly be willing to shell out a few quid for this one

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

think you'll need to acquire it by other means id say, its a pain as that is a cracking weekend for mma with wec brown vs faber 2 on the 7th too

really wish more stations would pick up some of the other events, didnt bravo show affliction last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Always good to see a non-UFC show with a solid card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Locomotion

calex71 wrote: »
    think you'll need to acquire it by other means id say, its a pain as that is a cracking weekend for mma with wec brown vs faber 2 on the 7th too

really wish more stations would pick up some of the other events, didnt bravo show affliction last year?

No Bravo claimed they were gonna show Affliction, then changed their minds at the last minute.

UFC must be doing fairly solid ratings for Setanta if they have now also picked up TUF and started to do a weekly sportscast show purely on UFC so you'd think they'd recognise the growing popularity of the sport and invest in some of the other organisations aswell.

Then again, if I know Dana, he's probably stipulated that for Setanta to get UFC, they're not allowed to show any other MMA. Wouldn't stop them getting WEC though since that's wholly owned by Zuffa

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Locomotion wrote: »
    Then again, if I know Dana, he's probably stipulated that for Setanta to get UFC, they're not allowed to show any other MMA.

You would be right in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

was pretty sure i saw affliction on bravo

• Advertisement

dunkamania wrote: »
    was pretty sure i saw affliction on bravo

It was on Bravo and apparently it did better ratings then when they used to show UFC PPVs which is rather interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

I doubt you'll see strikeforce anywhere live but extreme sports(channel 418 on sky) usually has strike force repeated after the live show,when I say 'after' i mean a good few weeks/months.Theyre still showing frank shamrock vs baroni,but also repeated a few of the cung le fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

download it the next day, stream it through ur xbox/media connecter, stock up on snacks and beer. Roberts your uncle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Locomotion

download it the next day, stream it through ur xbox/media connecter, stock up on snacks and beer. Williams your uncle.

Why would William be my uncle? I'd understand if you said 'Roberts your uncle' cos Bob is short for Robert. But what you've effectively done (after making quite a good suggestion I will add) is said that I should do this, then Bill's your uncle.

ERRONEOUS!

Locomotion wrote: »
    Why would William be my uncle? I'd understand if you said 'Roberts your uncle' cos Bob is short for Robert. But what you've effectively done (after making quite a good suggestion I will add) is said that I should do this, then Bill's your uncle.

ERRONEOUS!

Where'd i get william from? :confused:. Duly noted and Corrected!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

There is an "Extremesports" channel when you scroll through sports on sky. It costs extra to get it but seems to show Strikeforce shows almost every weekend. Granted these are old shows but im not sure if it will cover any new live events, but worth looking into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

what ever about setanta not showing other events, you would imagine they would be allowed to show wec if they wished given its the same company as ufc. Pity as 9 times out of 10 it delivers more bank for the buck than ufc events.

calex71 wrote: »
    what ever about setanta not showing other events, you would imagine they would be allowed to show wec if they wished given its the same company as ufc. Pity as 9 times out of 10 it delivers more bank for the buck than ufc events.

Ive heard this offically answered and it is REALLY bugging me that I cant remember the answer. But I THINK it was that Setanta didnt want anything not UFC. I open to correction on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

rovert wrote: »
    Ive heard this offically answered and it is REALLY bugging me that I cant remember the answer. But I THINK it was that Setanta didnt want anything not UFC. I open to correction on this.

I'm sure that I heard Zelaznik say something about them not being able to find a suitable deal for WEC. Something like that anyway, it did sound like it wasn't the UFC standing in the way of any willing broadcasters

The Affliction show this year was on Bravo. The one last year wasn't, as The Fight Network had already bought the rights to it

The last I heard was that Overeem vs Rogers isn't official and that it may be Werdum vs Rogers. If it's Overeem and the show's in California, that could be interesting :pac:

I hope overeem/rogers happens. I think its an interesting fight that can answer alot about both of them. I wouldnt be too surprised if rogers wins. He's shown alot of potential and if he can push the pace early overeem as shown a tendancy to wane in fights that arnt going his way..

Advertisement