Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

0 to Marathon - The Log

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

monday 5k Tueday rest Wedesday 3k and 1hr circut training, Thursday 4k, Friday 5k, Saturday 5k, Sunday 18k

Found out what was making me sick, I was bottling tap water and using it on my long runs, this week I've used bottled water (lidl) and am 100% after my long run, the circut training is really helping also.

Really enjoyed my runs this week and esp today.

Monday rest Tuesday 5k Wednesday Circuit training + 3k run Thursday 4k Fartec Friday 5k slow run Saturday 4k and circuit traing Sunday 19k

Used gel for the first time today and it really helped me on the second stage of my run, which covered a killer of a hill. Ran straight up it and then a much harder one (but shorter) hill at the end.

Monday rest Tuesday 5k Wednesday Circuit training + 3k run Thursday 4k fartlek run Friday 3k slow run Saturday half marathon (2:43) Sunday Rest.

Thought I would do better at the half marathon but the time actually ties in well with my prev weeks speed, I'll worry about times next year.. ;)

Starting a light swimming session now as part of my long run recovery and finding it really helps the legs recover, just doing some light lenths of the pool, no hard swimming at all.

I've also signed up to do the Dublin City Marathon, probably looking at 4:30 - 5hr looking at my half times, looking forward to it. Going to hit the training hard next week, signed up for a couple of early morning gym sessions starting next week. This week is going to be all about recovery.

Monday swim Tuesday 5k, Wednesday 3k 1hr circut training, Thursday 3k, Friday 4k 30min circuit training, Saturday rest, Sunday 23.8k

I've just re-read this from page one for the first time in a couple of years and damn its really worth the effort to get out and about, I'm now 37 and getting ready for my first marathon, I really don't know where it came from but I seem to be in a much better place personally now than when I started this log, I've never kept a diary in my life and looking back I'm actually fairly proud to have got this far.

Wonder could the admins rename it to 0 - marathon?

• Advertisement

Monday 1hr swim with about 15mins hard cardio swimming, Tuesday 5k, Wednesday 3k + 1hr strength training, Thursday 4k, Friday 8k 30min strength training, Saturday rest, Sunday 20k

Monday rest Tuesday 6k, Wednesday 3k + 1hr strength training, Thursday 6k, Friday 6k - 30min strength training, Saturday rest, Sunday 30k

Winding down -

Monday Rest, Tuesday Rest, Wednesday 3km + 40min core strenght training, Thursday Rest, Friday 1hr core strenght training, Saturday rest, Sunday 22km

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Monday rest Tuesday 5k Wednesday Circuit training + 3k run Thursday 4k fartlek run Friday 3k slow run Saturday half marathon (2:43)

I've also signed up to do the Dublin City Marathon, probably looking at 4:30 - 5hr looking at my half times, looking forward to it.

Good luck in the marathon! Its your first right? Might be an idea to have a look at these links

http://www.runworks.com/calculator.html
    http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

Good pacing is key - its a cliche but the marathon is all about miles 20-26, and so its a good idea to pace sensibly and conservatively early in the race - especially in your first one.

Cracking stuff to go from 0 and 19st to a marathon, I look forward to the report

Thanks I've been running negitive splits (is that the correct term) where on my long runs I am running very slow on the way out and slightly up on the return. havent been mile pacing at all for it.

I tried running the middle part of my 22k on Sunday slightly faster than any other long runs (against my normal runs) and was well up for it when I finished, I was just testing the waters really (I know I know), but for the marathon I'm going to be taking my usual approach.

I havent weighed myself but will do so soon I think I'm still around the 19st mark, despite going low carb during the week, I presume its muscle mass.

• Advertisement

Crazy day from start to finish, did what I wanted and crossed the line at merrion sq.. Legs are great I can still walk which I couldn't do after the half! I sorta got hit at Walkinstown and didn't recover really so just walk/ran a bit nevermind.

completed the circuit with 6:23 on the clock.

Indo has me down for 6.11min delighted with the time.

Ok doing either the waterford half or the Clonakilty half, on the 10th Dec, depending on logistics. Would love to do the Clonakilty and take the family away for the weekend, but Waterford is that little bit closer.

Anyway I've been out running a couple of times during the week, what training should I do leading up to this half marathon, I guess I'll have to put in a couple of long runs in the next 3 sundays .? anyone got some tips, I did the DCM recently and feel really up for this.

Doing no training whatsoever at the moment, really struggling to find the time and am completely aimless at the moment.. Playing 5-a-side again and tonight was only getting going when we had to wrap up.

Really have to get back to some sort of schedule..

:(

Just for the sake of it, i completed the 2012 marathon in 5:30, was pepped up on steroids as I had a chest infection..my training had me down for a 4:30 in the final month before completed 4 x 20s as my LSRs but I had to take it handy, have been out fairly regularly since the marathon at least 2 - 3 times a week Just a message to anyone thinking about getting fit and giving running a go its well worth it, I'm now in my local running club and although don't set the road alight with speed am a dedicated lifer to the sport.

Amsterdam half marathon in 2.16.

I got an injury into my DCM training and only managed to get up to 25km on my long runs so wanted to do something different and Amsterdam delivered in spades.

How have things changed since I've started this blog.. hmm.. weight has gone down a small bit, I've gone from a 38 to a 36 size waist, I feel taller, i am almost asthma free during the day, and need very little help with breathing when running..

Plans for the next 12 months - weight loss is the big thing now, even though im healthy I still would like to get it down, i want to get a 4.30 marathon under the belt next year. Madrid in April looks very good, currently getting over my "seasonal" avian flu, but once i'm better i'll be hitting the diet sheets and looking at strength training.

Advertisement