Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drinking age new york?

Options
  • 28-04-2009 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

hello there, me and the girlfriend are heading to new york next month,she is 20 im 22 just wondering are the bars and clubs strict on enforcing the drinking age,?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

some are, some aren't, i went there with my girlfriend when we were 23 and 20 respectively, anywhere that asked for ID was strict on it, but a lot of places didn't ask. if refused, try somewhere else. If refused again, give up and get a soft drink :)

Almost no chance of getting served in a nightclub i imagine, but smaller bars seemed to not mind too much for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

In Boston what happened me was that they put a different coliur wristband on me while the guys 21 or over got another colour so then the barman/lady knew who to serve alcohol to or not. It was grand cos I on'y drink soft drinks anyway but then again there was one place where I was point blank stopped adn only wanted to eat there but cos I was 20 it was a no go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I've been ID'ed in every bar I've gone to in NYC.

The only city in the states I've found them to be lax in about ID is San Fran.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Drinking age in the USA is 21. If you look young and act foolish, they will card you for sure! Don't ask me about how to get a fake ID from Olvera Street in LA.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 peader111

thank you for your replys, looks like ill just have to drink for two

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

New York isn't half as strict as Miami. Was chatting to waitress on south beach after she carded my 29 year old bf (he was chuffed!) she said if you look under 35 they card you. Reason being if they get an undercover in and they don't card, they could lose their job :eek:

For NY though I wouldn't bank on getting served either :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

was there last week and found it got stricter than when i was there 2 years ago.im 23 and got asked everywhere except 2 places.stick to the local type irish bars and you'll be fine.any of the big busy or chain places and you'll get asked.

Advertisement