Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OMFG

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

You just don't see enough <marquee> these days. Ah, the nostalgia! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Webmonkey wrote: »
    That is an absolutely terrible website. I genuinely feel sick.
    This stuff is very damaging to a company.

Ah now be fair. It does say it's under construction ;)
    elyod wrote: »
    He uses a poor quality scan of the Aston Villa crest for Aston Builders Ltd. Surely there's some copyright issues there.
    Fixed that for you :)

God, I'm getting into the web design game tomorrow if I can get away with stuff like that.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

20th century design delivered fresh to your 'tubes as if it were made yesterday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

CuLT wrote: »
    20th century design delivered fresh to your 'tubes as if it were made yesterday!

20th century? That's a tad generous tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Burklert

Relax everybody.

All his sites are entirely W3C compliant.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

I started off doing stuff like that using frontpage in transition year back in 2004 - but i'd never put that stuff online :D Even then it wasn't acceptable and i knew it, but that's how tech savvy our teachers were...

I blame the government - they don't/didn't take technology seriously or integrate it with leaving cert / junior cert (recently i think they introduced and IT course though?!).

Probably the work of a student and if still in secondary school and learning, somewhat excusable, but if not and this guy is 18+ or does this full time :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

To be honest I created {snipped}* for our mini company when I was in transition year and if I may say, it is a hell lot better than what he produces.

* Sever got hacked unfortunately so if it contains anything strange , ignore....

AVG says Threat Detected for that one so I ain't going further. You might remove the link or fix as you see fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

tricky D wrote: »
    AVG says Threat Detected for that one so I ain't going further. You might remove the link or fix as you see fit.
    Thanks, I'm on Linux with no virus software so didn't know. God damn Russian guys...... destroying me. You might remove it from the quote too thanks. I'll fix it soon.

Fixed it there anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

At least on the About Us page they do say "We can only get better...." :D

That is a hilarious site... but very shocking when you think people have paid money to such a company...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

What a feckin cowboy! Shockin stuff....you could actually teach a 10 yr old to do a better job :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ouch that site is scary...reminds me of geocities, tripod and angelfire websites from around 1997....

I'm actually shocked people would hand over money to this crowd given youd likely do a better job yourself using MS Word (god knows why youd use word but would be better) :eek:

Cabaal wrote:
    youd likely do a better job yourself using MS Word

That's a fact

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

That's a fact

I've looked over the site now and frankly I'm very upset there is no sign of the <BLINK> tag :mad:

:pac:

Cabaal wrote: »
    I've looked over the site now and frankly I'm very upset there is no sign of the <BLINK> tag :mad:

:pac:
    Wow even I am too young to actually remember that tag :eek: Wouldn't be surprised if it there somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

How is it possible to produce work like that, and get paid for it, in this day and age?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

He must be a great salesman in fairness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

It's quite easily possible because a lot of people in business in Ireland have a very poor understanding of the internet. To them, a €200 site put together in a weekend is more attractive than a €2,000 site that takes a lot of thought and effort to put together and get right. Why? Simply because it's cheaper.

I can put my technical hat on and say 'but this site isn't coded to W3C standards','the graphics look like they were done in word','it looks like something from 1994' etc, but you have to think about how the customers he is targetting perceives his work. They don't care a monkeys about any of the above. Simple fact is they got a website for €200 and that's much cheaper than the 'exorbitant' rates being charged by today's professionals.

To small businesses who only want to pay peanuts for a website, things like requirements gathering, standards compliance, branding, usability, functionality and search engine optimisation are just bells and whistles and buzzwords.

I think this business will keep ticking over and bringing in small amounts of money for now. There is a market for people who want crap, cheap websites but I can't help but feel that there won't be much repeat business heading their way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

pontovic wrote: »
    To them, a €200 site put together in a weekend is more attractive than a €2,000 site that takes a lot of thought and effort to put together and get right. Why? Simply because it's cheaper.

Possibly but there are plenty of companies out there offering templated or cheaper websites that are a higher quality and standard than this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

at least it was mainly taxi drivers that were shafted

ocallagh wrote: »
    at least it was mainly taxi drivers that were shafted

I'd imagine the person running it is either a Taxi driver or her/her friends are...might explain why you have Taxi drivers groups/companys on the site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

or else he gets loads of taxis and offers them sites for 50 euro....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 RahenyDigital

Hello webbies....
    It's very hard to read all the BAD reviews I'm getting on this Forum.

If a little more of your time was spent doing some good, the Country would be better off!
    I never forced anyone to have a SIMPLE site designed by me....
    The cost seems to be a factor in most cases and remember it's bettter to be on the Web even cheaply - than not there at all!

The chap who said I'd copy a site for him was not correct......I said show me something you like at the moment and I will base your site around that - Not Copy It!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭elyod

For some reason I feel like personally insulting you but I'll fight the urge.

A few tips:
    Type "free css templates" into google, and use these templetes in any future site. Also offer your current customers a free visual upgrade using these templetes.

Do away with the animated gifs.

Download paint.net and resize images to the correct intended size. Don't upload a high resolution image and make the browser do the work in resizing it.

Seek professional help for your crest fetish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

Like it or not, there's a market out there for cheap, amateur websites folks. There always will be. Get used to it. When businesses realise that in order to actually gain much benefit from the Web, you need to hire seasoned professionals then they generally allocate the necessary budget to it.

I don't think there's any reason to insult Raheny Digital. If you feel threatened by them/him then you probably need to concentrate on you're own work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Isn't Microsoft FrontPage 4.0 the version that comes free with an ancient version of office ?

jhegarty wrote: »
    Isn't Microsoft FrontPage 4.0 the version that comes free with an ancient version of office ?
    I believe so yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Hello webbies....

If a little more of your time was spent doing some good, the Country would be better off!
    I never forced anyone to have a SIMPLE site designed by me....
    The cost seems to be a factor in most cases and remember it's bettter to be on the Web even cheaply - than not there at all!

The chap who said I'd copy a site for him was not correct......I said show me something you like at the moment and I will base your site around that - Not Copy It!

Hi Raheny Digital

Yes it is hard to read these comments but you have to take them on the chin and listen to what people are saying.

It's very hard for seasoned web professionals striving to produce a quality product to see their livelihood being turned into a cottage industry, however, I think the industry is being divided up into a high end market and a low end market and we should stop complaining and stick to what we are good at.

I think seasoned professionals are best sticking to more complex projects that involve what I said in my last post and amateur web developers/designers should stick to making small simple sites. Lord knows we were all beginners at one stage. You will have a tough time convincing someone who thinks a website costs €200 to part with €2,000.

One thing I will say in your favour is that you don't call yourself a professional on your site, from what I can see anyway. There is nothing worse than web cowboys who call themselves professionals, product **** work and at the same time piss all over what should be a good industry.

You should check back here often for advice and check out the irishwebmasterforum.com and get stuck in there. Plenty of resources there. You need to improve a lot in the quality of sites you produce. You must want to improve the quality of your work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I believe so yes

Seems to be Office 97 from a bit of googling. I think that explains everything.

Yup exactly what I said on post 13 :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

Hello webbies....

If it's any comfort to you, the quality of Web design in Ireland is appalling. There are very few world class Web designers in this country, although many Irish Web designers think that they are. While your own work is currently way below the mean, you should strive to get better and better and better. The best piece of advice is not to become deluded like so many others. Be objective about the quality of what you're producing and be open to learning from those that are better than you - be realistic, know where you stand in terms of talent and keep learning... and enjoy it.

Advertisement