Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OMFG

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I know my Website design is terrible. But I only do it for me.

No... I'm not looking for critiques or advice either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Right , so one decent web designer is been very harshly criticised here IMO.

So could some of you critical 'professional' designers that posted above , please post a link to YOUR website designs , and lets see if you all qualify for full marks !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Decent! - That is not decent web design.

I'll PM you them, will that do?

I never called myself a professional web developer. I don't make money from it really. That is an example of a project I done for myself. If I could find people to actually buy websites I'd do it. One thing I have to say is he got good sales skills, something I'd like to develop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

Right , so one decent web designer is been very harshly criticised here IMO.

You're actually the most dangerous individual on this thread who will do Raheny Digital no favours whatsoever by having him believe he's decent. He's not. His work is 1/10 at best. This is a fact. Telling him he's decent will only perpetuate the talentless, lazy Irish Web designer who's gloats about his sub-mediocrity (or in this case, rank amateurism).

Before you experss an opinion on here about what a 'decent' Irish Web designer looks like, 1) make sure you know what you're talking about and 2) be sure you're comparing them to those producing work of a professional standard.

The ignornace in this industry is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭antichrist

WOW.....quite a reaction i see here, so let me get this straight, some guy has a hobby and manages to make a few euro off it and you all get on yer high horse and shoot him down. Real smooth......would be like me (a paramedic by trade) attending a first aid course and the ripping the piss outta the course and the instructors online cause they wern't up to my standard of training.

Give the guy a break, at least some of you had helpful pointers for the chap and from what i've heard from him he's taken them on board. </rant>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

antichrist wrote: »
    WOW.....quite a reaction i see here, so let me get this straight, some guy has a hobby and manages to make a few euro off it and you all get on yer high horse and shoot him down. Real smooth......would be like me (a paramedic by trade) attending a first aid course and the ripping the piss outta the course and the instructors online cause they wern't up to my standard of training.

Give the guy a break, at least some of you had helpful pointers for the chap and from what i've heard from him he's taken them on board. </rant>

I assume you have to be fully trained and qualified to practice as a paramedic? It's regulated, right?

Yeah it is.....whereas being in the red cross or order of malta is more of a hobby. AFAIK web design isn't regulated....people can do it as a hobby or as a career.
    If some1 is going around calling themselves a first aider or first responder it doesn't bother me, whereas if someone was calling themselves an EMT or Paramedic without the required training and registration then I have a prob.
    Raheny Digital never stated he was doing advanced web design or that he was a professional web developer. But as I said, he's grateful for the pointers given and has taken them on board.
    Last thing I heard he was asking me about CSS so he is willing to improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭elyod

The last you heard....?

You've only 2 posts, so I'd give a wild guess that you ARE Raheny Digital :pac:

elyod wrote: »
    The last you heard....?

You've only 2 posts, so I'd give a wild guess that you ARE Raheny Digital :pac:
    Yeah I had this suspecian as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Burklert

Anybody for a game of design-cluedo.

Was it antichrist with the coat of arms in the taxi?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Raheny Digital never stated he was doing advanced web design or that he was a professional web developer. But as I said, he's grateful for the pointers given and has taken them on board.

He might not have ever said he was doing advanced web design or a professional web developer but hes still selling his services and making money from it so he owes it to his clients to do a good job or be branded as a cowboy.

How do you know hes grateful for the pointers..why was he asking you about css, you have only two posts did he hand pick you to pm about all this stuff out of the blue and somehow know you would know about css???
    I dont think so...taxi for antichrist....or Gerry or raheny digital or whatever your name is..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Give the posters a break, this is a discussion forum for Web Design. People discuss good and bad web design here. Are people meant to be walking on eggshells while discussing a commercial website that someone has received payment for, and has put up on the internet with the expressed intentions for people to see it?

The similarity to the red cross isn't quite valid imo, Web Design has a great deal of emphasis in the visual aspects, discussing the visual beauty of a website is what one will do when discussing a website with other website designers.

Fantastic that the creator has come on here though :) Hopefully he will take on board criticism, it'll improve the visual beauty of the internet, earn him more money, and get him chatting with us on this forum. If he truly wants to take on board advice and pointers then people here will be happy to help him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

from the source

<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 4.0">
    <meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">

from the source

<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 4.0">
    <meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
    Yup that's the third time it was mentioned in this thread :)

Axwell wrote: »
    I dont think so...taxi for antichrist....or Gerry or raheny digital or whatever your name is..;)

Nah...its not him...I know him well though, he showed me this thread the other day and asked what I thought. I decided to join and at least stick up for him. Anyway the only taxi I drive is a big yellow one with blue lights!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Yup that's the third time it was mentioned in this thread :)
    tl;dr :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Burklert

This thread either needs more <blink> or it has reached the end of its useful life and from here on will most likely involve trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You didn't open your <rant> tag ;)

If the people on that first aid course compared themselves to EMTs / paramedics, would you not be a bit pissed off with that? Sure, it might not affect you directly, but it would cheapen what you have done to get where you are in your career.

If you saw a builder advertising very shoddy and amateur work, would that not seem like cowboy stuff?

Yeah, he got some harsh criticism, and this forum is probably one of the more severe places to get it as well, compared to other ones I visit. But as other people have mentioned, he is putting himself out there as a professional, so

The problem is that there is no regulation or certification in this business. I don't know if there should be. But this, and the fact that the tools to physically create a website are very cheap and available compared to other industries, means that it's easy to cheapen an industry.

I am not a web designer. I just can't design, which is why I go to the professionals who have demonstrated why they are in the business so long.

Fair play for sticking up for your friend, and fair play to him for posting as well, but I'm afraid that the sites he has done are frankly piss poor. The price isn't a factor, as quite simply they just should not be produced in this day and age.

Advertisement