Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty New Dishwasher

Options
  • 28-04-2009 9:59am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I bought a new dishwasher on Saturday, had it delivered yesterday, delivery man even told me how to connect it (it's 2 pipes and a plug) eventhough I didn't ask him to. Got everthing hooked up the way it says in the book and turn it on, everything seems fine, except the cycle doesn't finish, it keeps going, I didn't know how long it is susposed to take , after a couple of hours I figure something is wrong, so I turn the dial, it turns 360 degrees eventhough there's only stops on a couple of parts of the dial.

I rang the shop this morning, they told me they'd have to send out an engineer to have a look at it and this would take a couple of days, I said this wasn't good enough and I wanted a swop out, they said they wouldn't do this as it wasn't installed by a qualified engineer that they'd have to say what was wrong, then I said I wanted a refund and they could just collect the broken 1 whenever they wanted. She then then told me that they might be able to get an engineer sooner and would ring me back when she had more information, she did hung up.

As you can imagine I'm not a happy camper, I want them to either give me a direct swop out or a refund, am I entitled to either or are they right in saying that I should have gotten a qualified engineer in to fix it so I might have voided a warrenty? I would liken installing a dishwasher to installing a TV btw.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

If you broke the washing machine by incorrectly installing it they are under no liability what so ever to replace or refund it. Same way if you would run a screwdriver through your new TV you would not be able to claim a new one or ask for a refund.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

That I can agree with 100%, but they don't expect you to have an electrician put in your TV, if you plug in the TV power, aeriel socket and DVD player, then discover that the TV doesn't power off unless you press the button at the front I would expect this to be covered

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

We're not in disagreement but the shop don't know if you, or the washing machine itself, is the root cause of the problem. Hence the need to check it out before they can take action (i.e. refund/replacement/repair).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

At least it's not just me that keeps calling a dish washer a washing machine :)

I agree as well, if it is my fault then I should expect to pay full whack, but as I know it's not, am I not entitled to a replacement, if it's discovered that it was my fauly they can charge me

Clareman wrote: »
    I agree as well, if it is my fault then I should expect to pay full whack, but as I know it's not, am I not entitled to a replacement, if it's discovered that it was my fauly they can charge me
    My gf complains to me about that one as well as calling the fridge a freezer :pac:.

Going back to the original question though, you should be able to argue that it is not of merchantable quality and based on this try to go back to previous status (i.e. cash in your hand and washer with the company). Problem lies in if they dispute this as you'd have to trawl through a court to reach a verdict and I don't expect you have that long time to sit around waiting. Then it comes down to negotiations between you and the company on what is acceptable to both of you.

• Advertisement

All I want is a working dishwasher, if it means I have to get it from someone else so be it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,691 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You'll have to wait for an engineer to look at it regardless. If it is a fault with the machine, then you should be able to return it immediately and get your money back (although they might push for replace or repair). I think you would expect the item to work on delivery without having to be repaired.

Yup, the engineer is coming this afternoon to have a look at it, he says he has never come across a problem like this before. I am not going to accept a repair, going to get a refund

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭rgfuller

Got everthing hooked up the way it says in the book and turn it on, everything seems fine, except the cycle doesn't finish, it keeps going, I didn't know how long it is susposed to take , after a couple of hours I figure something is wrong, so I turn the dial, it turns 360 degrees eventhough there's only stops on a couple of parts of the dial.

Dishwashers can have programs which take up to 3 hours, are you sure it's broken ? My own Beko has a standard wash which is 126 minutes, it's dial also turns 360 degrees, though it does have a timer so you can watch the minutes count down.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I want them to either give me a direct swop out or a refund, am I entitled to either or are they right in saying that I should have gotten a qualified engineer in to fix it so I might have voided a warrenty? I would liken installing a dishwasher to installing a TV btw.

Its
    Repair
    Replace
    Refund

and its upto the shop which you get

As for dishwashers taking ages, one setting on mine takes over 3hrs before it beeps to say its done...its perfectly normal, how long did you actually wait between when you started it and started to mess around with it?

Also if I interrupt a programme on mine its a balls to reset it, doesn't work right until you do and first time I actually thought it was broken...nice its easy sort in about 5seconds ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In fairness, you would need to be a right numptie to be unable to hook up a dishwasher (two water pipes and then plug it in).
    We bought one (Bosch) last year and within a day or two it was broken. Engineer called a few days later and replaced some part inside (I can't remember what) but I recall that it was a known issue with that model.

I left it running over night so it's definitely not just going through a cycle :)

As far as I am concerned, once the engineer says that it's nothing I did wrong I'm going to get back onto the shop and saying that I want a refund under my statutory rights (14 days isn't it?) I can't see how I wouldn't be entitled to this or am I being a complete innocent?

The fact that its not completing a cycle properly has nothing to do with how it was plumbed up or plugged in so the engineer should find the fault easily enough and replace the part.
    The hassle in getting a refund, buying another machine, etc. isn't worth it!

As far as I am concerned, once the engineer says that it's nothing I did wrong I'm going to get back onto the shop and saying that I want a refund under my statutory rights (14 days isn't it?) I can't see how I wouldn't be entitled to this or am I being a complete innocent?
    There is no time limit as such (i.e. no 1 day, 14 days etc.), anything like that in the stores is store policy only.

There is a debate (on this very forum) between forum warriors such as myself, Cabaal, Foggy_lad, MC (can't rememember his full board name) et al on the "correct" way to read the Sales and Trades act from 1980. In short it states it is repair, replace, refund as the three possible options (the three Rs). Who has the right to choose how ever is not clearly stated and it can be implied to be both the buyer and the seller. Some (such as myself and Cabaal) put the right with the seller; other put it with the buyer (Foggy_lad, MC).

Who is right? We don't know because the dispute has to go to court and no such case is ever vague enough in the first place to give a good definition to follow. Hence the argument continues.

I'll put it this way though; if you disagree with the decision of the seller your only recourse is to go to court to fix it (don't really matter if the law is on your side or not either) to get a verdict to be enforced. Going to court (some companies will do everytrhing to avoid it and bend over, some will go the full mounty and wait for the court decision) will take at least a month if not three. You also have to show that you have done all with in reasonble power to complain/raise issues about it before hand.

So it's all a big pain in the @r*e then, I want my money back is the main thing though, the credit card company did say that I can apply to them to try to get a refund directly from my card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

We're off on an anger trip here. Before you go demanding your right there are things that should be checked first! The machine is connected but is the tap tirned on? Is the outlet tube pinched or blocked?

When you say the machine was running all night was it actually running or was the program stopped? If the water cannot be pumped out because of a pinched tube you run the risk of burning out the pump if you leave it run for hours.

Why not wait for the engineer and see what he diagnosis?

Cheers Heinrich, very good point.

I checked the inlet and outlet pipes, no blockage, the machine is going through the cycles over and over again as far as I can make out, it's just on a continious loop, if I was an engineer I would think that the knob on the front that selects the program is broken and the machine is just going round and round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

kbannon wrote: »
    In fairness, you would need to be a right numptie to be unable to hook up a dishwasher (two water pipes and then plug it in).
    We bought one (Bosch) last year and within a day or two it was broken. Engineer called a few days later and replaced some part inside (I can't remember what) but I recall that it was a known issue with that model.

some dishwashers have a "stopper" placed in the pipe outlets to prevent dust getting in and that but some forget to take it oue before installation and this can cause huge problems.

Yes but thats why instruction books are provided.
    If you are referring to the stopper part bieing the cause of my machines issues, it wasn't. We had water leaking inside the machine caused by a damaged float switch IIRC!

"Engineer" has come and gone, he was a delivery man with a new washing machine, took away the old 1, put in the new 1 (I had it done right), all sorted now, I think, think I'm happy, but won't be buying from that shop again

• Advertisement

"Engineer" has come and gone, he was a delivery man with a new washing machine, took away the old 1, put in the new 1 (I had it done right), all sorted now, I think, think I'm happy, but won't be buying from that shop again
    In fairness they gave you decent enough customer service without any fights! They don't sound that bad!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

That shop was fine , they swapped that machine out no problems . It was not Currys and thats for sure :D

The girl on the phone didn't do them any favours

Advertisement