Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Grade 8...

Options
  • 28-04-2009 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparkman

Anyone got advice on what way to go after completing Grade 8 Performance? I'm a double bass student (no spring chicken - 36), currently doing ABRSM Grade 8, thinking of sticking with ABRSM after that (diplomas, licentiates, etc.) but am open to suggestions. Live in the Midwest and need to work for a living unfortunately so full time course isn't really an option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

You're in a lucky position as a double bass player! I'd say keep going, do a diploma maybe, and get as much work as you possibly can with orchestras, gigs etc. Maybe branch out into jazz if you don't already do that. And you never know, you might land yourself a permanent job eventually as an orchestral musician or teacher!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

+1 on the double bass player comment. The only other string player in a better position is the viola player!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparkman

Thanks folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Not in the lucky position you are. But am also doing my grade 8 (in two weeks) on the flute. I'm in leaving cert. now and play the flute, hoping to study music next year. Just wondering is there any point in doing the diploma and stuff with the RIAM if I'm going to get a degree in music from college? Like I'd still study the flute of course, but is it worth the €100 or so per exam, not to mention accomp.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Pianist2891

Not in the lucky position you are. But am also doing my grade 8 (in two weeks) on the flute. I'm in leaving cert. now and play the flute, hoping to study music next year. Just wondering is there any point in doing the diploma and stuff with the RIAM if I'm going to get a degree in music from college? Like I'd still study the flute of course, but is it worth the €100 or so per exam, not to mention accomp.?

Hi there.

The Diploma with the RIAM will cost you a lot more than 100 euros!!!! Also, the ARIAM is not recognised outside of Ireland, so I strongly suggest you consider appearing for the DipABRSM, Performer's Certificate with Trinity Guildhall London or if your standard post Grade 8 is high enough, the Associate Diploma. However, its a good idea to do a Recital exam such as the Perf. Cert between Grade 8 and Diploma. Another alternative is RIAM's Senior Certificate or else the Gold Medal Recital, but I would recommend the London boards post Grade 8. They also work out cheaper, even though you can't avoid the cost of an accompanist.

Another option is building up your performance experience and repertoire, and learning as much new music as you can, to a high standard. Look into playing in an orchestra, amateur or semi-professional, as well as teaching a few young pupils if you are inclined towards that. Look into weekend workshops outside of Ireland, and masterclasses. Think outside the box!

• Advertisement

Another option is building up your performance experience and repertoire, and learning as much new music as you can, to a high standard. Look into playing in an orchestra, amateur or semi-professional, as well as teaching a few young pupils if you are inclined towards that. Look into weekend workshops outside of Ireland, and masterclasses. Think outside the box!

I've been doing allot of repertoire building, and am a member of two orchestras, and the long run that's where I hope to work. Just about to start teaching soon, after all these exams outta the way :rolleyes: Actually I took part in a masterclass with Sir James Galway last year, hoping to do so again when he returns to Ireland. Was an amazing experience, and great to have on your c.v :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

+1 on the double bass player comment. The only other string player in a better position is the viola player!

Why?

I'm thinking I'd like to get a string instrument under my belt this summer, so I could get into an orchestra or quartet or something, my first thought was viola. What's the big deal?

Bass and viola players are always sought after, and especially teachers of them!
    In fact if you apply to the Dublin Youth Orchestra on violin, and they have enough violins, they often offer violinists positions as viola players and are offered the instrument, on condition that they take lessons on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 plinkyplanky

I'm trying to figure out what to do post grade 8/once i've finished school too.
    i'd like to do a part time diploma course, and after that do some part time teching privately maybe. Was looking at the DipABRSM online, but would welcome other suggestions aswell.
    Does anyone know where i could study for this type of course in Cork?
    Ta!

In Cork, I reckon you could talk to the people in Cork School of Music as a part of C.I.T, and have a look into their part time courses.
    Other than that you could talk to UCC or look into PLC music courses in local secondary schools?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

sparkman wrote: »
    Anyone got advice on what way to go after completing Grade 8 Performance? I'm a double bass student (no spring chicken - 36), currently doing ABRSM Grade 8, thinking of sticking with ABRSM after that (diplomas, licentiates, etc.) but am open to suggestions. Live in the Midwest and need to work for a living unfortunately so full time course isn't really an option.

When I got past my grade 8 violin, I just joined orchestras and played.
    I don't think my playing has improved since, apart from maybe my sightreading, but I enjoy it a lot more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I'm more or less in the same position, I was accepted into the RIAM Diploma course, but decided against it to do the Associated Board diploma instead, it being waaaay cheaper, better accepted, and you don't lose a year of college...

The DIT did a "grade 9" type diploma after grade 8 which I did - the dipabrsm is hard going and even the performance-only diploma has a lot of work for program notes and a viva after the exam. The "grade 9" was same level of standard in the pieces but none of the extra stuff. Also, as they had external examiners for the dipABRSM, they tend to be a LOT more strict than internal DIT (I don't know how you've done yours, just going with how I did it) so it was a shock to the system to find out what exactly they were expecting after having done grade 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rheobath

Which is better from a college point of view the gold recital medal or riam grade 8, (i intend to do a perf degree in singing in ireland)

Ideally both, if that's possible?

But if only one is, then the Grade 8.

I think the RIAM have now changed the syllabus so that there's no such thing as a Gold Medal exam anymore, and that you can only take a recital exam and be awarded a gold, silver or bronze medal based on your mark.

Definitely do the Grade VIII, but I'd advise doing it with ABRSM rather than RIAM if you intend to audition for a performance degree. I'd also suggest you do some piano exams (up to Grade V if possible) if you haven't done any piano already—that opens up your options as a singing student hugely.

Let us know how you get on!

Thanks, thats interesting you recommend the ABRAMS 8, it may not be possible though coz of teachers etc. we live in the midlands so dublin not that accessible. Its actually my daughter i am researching for and she is currently doing riam piano 6 and wants to major in piano, becuase she came to piano late i have advised her to wait until college entrance time to decide on her major - ie if she's bettter at singing than piano she would have a better chanc of getting in. i was disappointed to find that maynooth only audition on one instrument ie singing or piano.

rheobath wrote: »
    Thanks, thats interesting you recommend the ABRAMS 8, it may not be possible though coz of teachers etc. we live in the midlands so dublin not that accessible. Its actually my daughter i am researching for and she is currently doing riam piano 6 and wants to major in piano, becuase she came to piano late i have advised her to wait until college entrance time to decide on her major - ie if she's bettter at singing than piano she would have a better chanc of getting in. i was disappointed to find that maynooth only audition on one instrument ie singing or piano.

I wouldn't worry too much about the board you use, but certainly ABRSM Grade VIII sounds a lot more impressive to an audition panel than RIAM Grade VIII, just because the marking criteria are more stringent.

If she is serious about doing a performance degree best place for her to go is somewhere like DIT or the RIAM or Cork School of Music. Maynooth doesn't have a performance faculty per se and so the standard of performance expected (and generally attained) is nothing like you'll find in those place. How old is she now? Grade VI piano is great if she started late...out of the places mentioned I'd say DIT is probably the best bet, though to study piano rather than singing. (The RIAM is the place to go for singing.) I don't know about Cork but they seem to have an excellent faculty.

Thanks that really interesting coz I thought Maynooth would be the place to go (after DIT- but know DIT hard to get into). She had done two grades on the fiddle and dumped it. She began playing the piano by ear and started taking lessons in jan 2011, and the teacher felt she could have a go at the riam 5 - and she got it(only got a merit but was good considering). Anyhow shes playing the piano non stop now and as i said before doing the riam 6 in may. she has two years of secondary school left so will def get to grade 8 riam or abrams. She is studying theory seperately. It is interesting that you should cite Cork as i had the impression they were totally into trad and that wouldn't suit her at all. She is also doing the silver medal singing (did riam 3 previously and got 87) - i would prefer the grade exams but the teacher is excellent and dosn't do them so thats that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

rheobath wrote: »
    Thanks that really interesting coz I thought Maynooth would be the place to go (after DIT- but know DIT hard to get into). She had done two grades on the fiddle and dumped it. She began playing the piano by ear and started taking lessons in jan 2011, and the teacher felt she could have a go at the riam 5 - and she got it(only got a merit but was good considering). Anyhow shes playing the piano non stop now and as i said before doing the riam 6 in may. she has two years of secondary school left so will def get to grade 8 riam or abrams. She is studying theory seperately. It is interesting that you should cite Cork as i had the impression they were totally into trad and that wouldn't suit her at all. She is also doing the silver medal singing (did riam 3 previously and got 87) - i would prefer the grade exams but the teacher is excellent and dosn't do them so thats that.

UCC = TRad or General music degree (grand for secondary teaching)
    CIT = A bit more focused on performance

She may want to consider the difference between performing for an examiner and performing as 'entertainment' though. Maybe look outside the 'exam' system, i.e. masterclasses (as an audience member first of all!), feis ceoil, or maybe get her to ask her singing teacher if she is looking for an accompanist (even for students weekly lessons).

• Advertisement

I'd echo Doshea, Maynooth's performance standard isn't the standard of DIT. It is getting better however, as the new Prof. has really shaken things up (performance auditions for one!!) and I've seen some real talent come through in the last few years. It's only going to get better, but if she wants to do concert performing, try DIT, but put most of the colleges down on the CAO. At the very least it is a chance to audition which is important for controlling nerves etc. It also gives you options.

By the sounds of it, if she continues the way she is going, she will get Maynooth if she wants it.

Actually wait, this just reminded me of something.....

Mate of mine is studying music in Maynooth, doing performance. He is an excellent pianist, goes to Hugh Tinney in the RIAM and performed Schumann's piano concerto with orchestra at the RDS last year.

He could have chosen DIT, but he decided on Maynooth because he wanted to go there. I suppose the point I'm making is.....while DIT would be a better place for performance, if your daughter isn't happy there, it won't matter a lick. Visit the open days over the next year or so and speak with the music departments. Look at the campus. Make an over-all decision based on all the factors.

Oh, and as the above poster said, more performances as well. Feis ceoil are great opportunities for performing and guaging where you stand as a performer.

PS I just remembered.....friend of mine who studied in the same year as me is now the Musical Director/pianist for the Celtic Tenors, and just came back from a tour of America. He would have hated DIT!*

*Please note I have nothing against DIT (or CIT etc), just that your comfort and gerenral well being in a college can effect your mood and hence your studies.

Advertisement