Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I miss the Dreamcast!! Anyone else ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think one of the reasons it failed was the saturn and how sega abandoned the customers with that . people were actually afraid to buy the dreamcast in case it went down the same route. Granted it did go down the same route but it was a good couple of years i enjoyed:D

It was definitely a factor but I think the main reason it failed was the massive success of the Playstation. At the time the playstation was synonymous with gaming like Nintendo was in the late 80's/early 90's and could sell on the brand name alone. Let's face it, the PS2 hardly sold on the strength of it's games in the first few months. I remember a magazine running a massive article on how to get the best out of your MGS2 demo, thats how bad it was :)

However I wouldn't say the DC was like the saturn other than the fact it got dropped way too early. Sega actually did support it after they stopped manufacturing units for quite some time but the announcement that they were no longer making units was the final nail in the coffin even if sales had slowed to a trickle.

The saturn was a terrible underpowered console that was difficult to program for and didn't have many good games on it because Sega refused to bring the good ones from Japan. The DC was a very powerful machine ahead of it's time which was a joy to develop on and had an amazing selection of games including lots of obscurities from japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

noodler wrote: »
    Phantasy Star Online

I've just about paid off the loan I had to take out to pay the phone bill I racked up playing that fecker over the modem...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

It's so weird, I don't even remember anyone having a dreamcast back in the day..It was PS1 and N64, that's it.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

creggy wrote: »
    It's so weird, I don't even remember anyone having a dreamcast back in the day..It was PS1 and N64, that's it.

:confused:

Me and another friend had a dreamcast, the others had as you said N64 or PS1. And it really boiled down to at the time if you looked back over what consoles we had. Throughout my life after the Commodore 64 every console i had was a Sega machine.... Master System, Game Gear, Mega Drive, Mega CD, Saturn etc and my friend who had the N64 had the Nes,Snes, Gameboy etc. I think really at the time alot of people who were gamers were influenced greatly by what 'brand' they stuck to. I enjoyed playing Sega consoles greatly so naturally i went out of my way to get a Dreamcast. Alot of people would have owned a Megadrive (i cant imagine anyone who didnt at the time) but alot of them didn't have a Saturn or a Master System.

I miss playing my Dreamcast, i actually still have my console and games but the power cable is missing, must get one off ebay or somthing and start playing it again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

[drool]Soulcalibur[/drool]

The Dreamcast seems more appreciated now than a few years back. Not as cheap to buy as it was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Ziggurat

I've been thinking of buying one lately and this thread just makes me want to do it all the more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I loved how sega sent out chu chu rocket to everyone for free That was class

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Ah yes, was playing my DC daily until I moved to my current flat (over a year ago). I keep meaning to hook it up, but I'm tight on space.

I bought my DC on release day with as it was the thing I'd been looking forward to most since I'd finished college. It's a shame it didn't last longer, but there was a hell of a lot of quality squeezed into it's short life-span.

Playing House of the Dead by yourself with 2 guns is fun (if a little awkward) :D Never got into Shenmue, I do have it though. It's not my sort of game at all though. MANY hours of multi-player Soul Calibur were had when I lived in Galway and there were regular gatherings in the flat. UEFA Striker got a good run too until we got a Pro Evo on our PS2 in them days too. Powerstone was a lot of fun and quite innovative in the use of the environment. Ready 2 Rumble was a great laugh too. Ikaruga - has to go down as one of the greatest games ever made. You could never get bored of it.

[note to mods, feel free to edit/remove this bit]
    There are also a healthy amount of emulators for the DC. Have seen Mega-Drive, Master-System, Gameboy, NES, SNES emus out there. Was definitely one of the benefits of running on a modified version of Windows CE.

I never went online with mine, does that service still exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It was definitely a factor but I think the main reason it failed was the massive success of the Playstation. At the time the playstation was synonymous with gaming like Nintendo was in the late 80's/early 90's and could sell on the brand name alone. Let's face it, the PS2 hardly sold on the strength of it's games in the first few months. I remember a magazine running a massive article on how to get the best out of your MGS2 demo, thats how bad it was :)

The big word here as Michael also says is "brand". It's true that for the first 18 months the Dreamcast had the better games but I couldn't see it at the time as I was blinded by my love and loyalty to Sony, at the time if I'd a dreamcast I wouldn't of pi**ed on it if it was on fire because I was 1000% certain it was doomed to failure from day 1 and resented anybody who thought otherwise!

Sony's position in the market was now absolutely miles ahead of Sega and to compete Sega needed a astronomical amount of marketing money, money Sega definitely didn't have. When i worked in gamestop for 4months I was shocked at the utter sh**e some people buy, I seen so many people making a purchasing decision after looking at the back of the case, remember Joey casual gamer doesn't read game reviews! The superb original playstation cashed in big time on the casual gamer and it's not Sony's fault that so many of the games buying public are stoopid!

You have market leaders Sony, Microsoft with nearly unlimited resourses, and the Spieldberg of games Nintendo...their was no room for Sega so it was only a matter of time befor the 3rd parties that supported Sega jumped ship!

I bought a 2nd hand Dreamcast in the end as needed to buy RE:Code Veronica (4 months befor I realised it was been ported to the PS2) and got it with the excellent Soul Calibur, glad I got one in the end!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

trickstyle!! oooh yeah and soul calibur. and quake III!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

quake III!

First game with cross platform multipayer? I remember you could play against dreamcast players on the PC.

Ya playin with dreamcast contoller against pc players was some way to get beat down!!! ah funny days.
    Im getting a emulator there now and downloading Shenmue 1 and 2 for pc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

First game with cross platform multipayer? I remember you could play against dreamcast players on the PC.

A ****ing disgrace more of this sort of thing isn't implemented by the way.

It would really help keep online communities alive for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Firefox10 wrote: »
    I don't think you can get anything worse than the 360 for noise! Except maybe the vacum cleaner.:D

then you never owned a dreamcast. its far worse than the 360 for noise. Playing PSO online was brutal!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

It was speculation not a statement.

I think the worst thing about the DC is that it's probably the only console that failed that was also a brilliant machine. Every other console failure deserved to or was destined to fail due to poor handling by the manufacturer but the DC was a great powerful machine with an amazing software catalogue and third party support.
    brilliant console but a terrible machine. i had 2 fail on me and my current machine is well sick.

Never had a problem , with any of my consoles iv ever owned think sometimes you just get unlucky :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

My only memory of the Dreamcast is playing Crazy Taxi in my mates house. I remember thinking it was so great to have an internet browser in a console, of course the thing my friend did to demonstrate how cool it was was to print off a badly photoshopped photo of Britney Spears touching herself. :pac: I can't remember if it was some kind of Dreamcast printer or a normal PC one, did the Dreamcast support PC peripherals?

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭ClayDavis

I thought they decided this was a bad idea. But then some pc players managed to hack into dreamcast servers and absolutely tank them.

I played it a bit on the dreamcast, not great but playable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

You had to kludge tweaked maps onto the PC to get access to the DC servers, the maps were different from the PC in small ways. PC -> DC, but not the other way around. I have a vague memory of downloading a 50MB zip file of DC version QIII maps.

..and as ClayDavis pointed out, there was a mix of skills, full mouse users against joystick, 'turret' turning DC players.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I actually really regret not buying one of these and the saturn when they around.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sega did everything right with the Dreamcast except market it properly. They shouldn't have done a Sony with their terrible adverts that don't show any games. All they had to do was show Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur in motion and perhaps the gaming landscape would be different now. The Dreamcast was a fantastic console. It had the third party support. Itactually had good games and a rake of them unlike the PS2 had at the time. It had the quirky games and even though it didn't have the support of EA, Sega were bettering them with their own 2K sports label. I love the console, for it's short life span it had so many great games and has it's own distinctive feel and look. I'm pretty disappointed with this generation since it hasn't given us an experience that couldn't have been done on the previous generation except with the odd exception like Dead Rising.

Was there ever anygood rpg games released on it?

Shenmue is Adventure RPG , but Phantasy Star Online was huge for it the first console MMORPG

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Was there ever anygood rpg games released on it?

skies of arcadia, grandia 2 and evolution are three I can name off the top of my head (not sure if evolution was any good though)

Not many RPGs but Shenmue comes close, Grandia 2 is brilliant, much better than the PS2 port and Skies of Arcadia is fantastic althought the GC port was better. There's also Record of Lodoss war but I think it's more a Diablo clone.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    skies of arcadia, grandia 2 and evolution are three I can name off the top of my head (not sure if evolution was any good though)

played grandia on ps2 and played skies of arcadia on the gamecube,Never heard of the third one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Polar101

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

Evolution wasn't as good as the other two, but was entertaining enough for me to finish it. I never started part 2, though.

There was also Time Stalkers..

Advertisement