Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed IBM Ipato test...

Options
  • 28-04-2009 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I applied to IBM "year in industry" programme, I went for Software Development internship scheme. However, the entrance process involved an aptitude test. I failed it, and I feel like a total idiot. It's not encouraging in any way.

I did some software development work before, although it was not for an employer as such, me and my mate got together back in secondary school and coded a small minigame and a basic graphics package. I'm also undertaking a degree in Product design and technology, and I'm doing quite well in this. Its focused on using technology to develop products and services in business environment.

Since all graduate schemes have aptitude tests, which I doubt I will pass, is there any other way I can use my previous experience to get design or any other kind of work like that? The thing is, that this kind of work is non-existent at the moment, and I'm not good at anything else. The future of my current part time job is not certain as well.

In addition, would it be wise for me to hit the streets and give away small home-made toys around Temple Bar area in Dublin, just to get my name out there, if things hit rock bottom?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Why are you putting yourself down so much due to one set of aptitude tests? You just happened to be outside the criteria that IBM set for that specific position. Your test results were probably below the cut off point that IBM set for this position. They may have set extremely harsh cut-off points. I'd hardly call that 'failure'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

"Failure" should only be used in the sense of "Failure to try" which you did. Don't put yourself down and get back into the driving seat and TRY again.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I greatly appreciate your encouragement,

but if you could give me help on how and where I could use the skills that I have mentioned, this would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

If you're concerned about future tests, there are loads of practice tests online, and plenty of books out there with advice on how to sit aptitude tests. Any library will probably have at least one or two of these too.

Also worth bearing in mind what a previous poster said - unless they gave you the results and you scored a flat zero, you probably didn't fail. It's possible that they had extremely high cut off points for the tests.

Get online, do some practice tests, and don't beat yourself up about it. Seems to me that mostly aptitude tests just test how good you are at taking aptitude tests...

Advertisement