Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFIV Trials: Possible with a D-Pad?

Options
  • 28-04-2009 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

I've been trying to work through the trials for the characters I use in SFIV (mostly Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Gouken, Dan and Sakura) but I get to the 5th trial on all of them and can't progress. The combos are just impossible for me to pull off, regardless of character. How do you work out the timing and when to cancel. Is it even possible to do these with a D-Pad? (using a Sega Saturn USB pad)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I've been trying to work through the trials for the characters I use in SFIV (mostly Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Gouken, Dan and Sakura) but I get to the 5th trial on all of them and can't progress. The combos are just impossible for me to pull off, regardless of character. How do you work out the timing and when to cancel. Is it even possible to do these with a D-Pad? (using a Sega Saturn USB pad)

Yeah, it is possible with a pad. It's all down to execution.

There is vids on youtube that may help you with the hard trials.

This guy's youtube page will help you.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kalelulen4

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

TheWitch06 wrote: »
    Yeah, it is possible with a pad. It's all down to execution.

Those videos just show the person doing the trials, I'd really need to see someone's hands actually pulling off the combos on a D-Pad. I have a few friends who have SFIV, and they either use the PS3 controller or have bought the Sega Saturn pads. The only guy amongst us whos completed the trials has a stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

Those videos just show the person doing the trials, I'd really need to see someone's hands actually pulling off the combos on a D-Pad. I have a few friends who have SFIV, and they either use the PS3 controller or have bought the Sega Saturn pads. The only guy amongst us whos completed the trials has a stick.

Well, I'm an ex-pad player and I have completed some of the hard trials you've mentioned with a pad for a friend. Charge chars with a pad are a no go though.

I guess you need to practice more. You can't just copy somebodies hands and expect to pull off the combos. You need to find a way to execute that suits -you- so I suggest praticing more.

Oh and when you get to Viper's hard trials, I can guarantee you will be p'd off.

TheWitch06 wrote: »
    Oh and when you get to Viper's hard trials, I can guarantee you will be p'd off.

Yeah I probably won't even bother for the time being with the characters I don't intend to play a lot with. Akumas level 4 normal trials are an absolute pain, I can't get them down at all. I guess I need to really just work on my cancels. But it's real hit and miss, I can't consistently do cancels, even though I'm sure I'm pressing the same movements. It's because of this that I'm not really confident enough to try them out whilst in game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Whats hard in the trials is linking, which I assumed you were talkin about until your last post where you seem to be talking about this:

• Jumping Hard Kick, Standing Hard Punch, Cancel into Light Kick Hurricane Kick, juggle with Shoryuken.
    • Focus Attack, Dash, Standing Hard Punch, Cancel into EX-Hurricane Kick, juggle with Shoryuken.

This is standard akuma right here, canceling is very easy to do, its nothing to do with the controller.

You must be doing it wrong in some way, mashing buttons too fast or something. If your playing as a shoto you really should have basic cancels down.

Practice the medium kick cancels:, low medium kick into fireball, low medium kick into spin kick, low medium kick into dragon punch. Go to training and make sure you turned auto blocking on.

This way you know if you did it right, if the low medium kick hits but not the fireball, you didnt do it right.

A fireball motion is down forward punch, all your doing it adding medium kick to that motion, pressing it as you pressed down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Been slowly working my way through the hard trials for all the characters for the last week or so. Normals where no poblem finishing but some of the hard trials are tough.

I have completed hard trails for Vega, Sagat, M Bison, Rose, Ryu, Akuma, Blanka, Dhalsim, Dan, Zangief and E Honda.

For the rest I have between anywhere from having 1 to 4 trails complete.
    Time consuming stuff.

Gen looks the hardest with his stance change mid combo's.

Nearly all titles,icons and trophies unlocked. Using the Zangief lariat exploit to to snore my way through the remaing Time Attack and Survival trails. Easy to get gold in the regular trials but some of the hard trails require abit of effort. Its incredible tedious and boring with or without the exploit.

The only thing else outstanding is to beat Gouken on the hardest difficulty level. I have no problem clearing the game without dying and getting enough ulra/super finishes. Getting the required perfects to get to Gouken is the problem.

Yeah I think I'm just doing it wrong, I didn't realise you could merge actions, I was trying to do each move consecutively.

So instead of down-MK, quarter-circle forward HP its down-MK-down+forward-forward+HP

Is it possible to merge every move like this for his trials? Do you have any links on what the actual button commands are for his combos. I think I'll try and get his cancels down before even attempting links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Davey909

Sorry to be a bit noobish, but I could never understand the concept of links. I can understand cancelling alright (not that I'm particularly that good at it) but could some of you knowledgable folk explain exactly how linking moves in a combo differs from cancelling moves in a combo? thanks

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

From my understanding its like this.

Regular Combo
    Say you take jumping roundhouse and combo with a crouching roundhouse for a 2 hit combo. Crouching roundhouse hits and cause say 45 frames of hit stun the time which your opponent can not defend himself. Each frame is 1/60th of a second. You recover from your jumping roundhouse in say 20 frames. Your crouching roundhouse hits within 16 frames. So basically you have 9 frames or 9/60ths of a second advantage to hit with the crouching roundhouse to get the combo, if you don't do it with in that time frame your opponent will recover and can block it.

Link Combo
    A link combo is the same but with much stricter timing. You only have 1/60th of a second or 1 frame advantage to connect the combo. The very frame the proceeding move ends you must hit the button for the next move otherwise your opponent can block it. These are very tricky. You press the button before the proceeding move is finished nothing happens. Press it to late its blocked. Requires alot of practise and memory muscle to pull these off.

Cancelling
    Cancelling is inputing the command for another move while performing a move. This cases the first move to be cancelled while its being peformed allowing you a big enough frame advantage to combo another move that would of be otherwise impossible.. This is easiar to do than link combos. So why not always use a cancel. Simply becase not all moves can cancel. For examples Bisons standing feirce will cancel but not his standing roundhouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Davey909

Azza wrote: »
    Link Combo
    A link combo is the same but with much stricter timing. You only have 1/60th of a second or 1 frame advantage to connect the combo. The very frame the proceeding move ends you must hit the button for the next move otherwise your opponent can block it. These are very tricky. You press the button before the proceeding move is finished nothing happens. Press it to late its blocked. Requires alot of practise and memory muscle to pull these off.

Thanks, thought it was something like that. Sounds a bit on the tricky side alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Yeah linking in SFIV is very hard, where as canceling is not at all. Its very easy, once you know how of course.

I'm not much into the SP aspect of the game nor to I really care at all about icons or titles. Unless they actually had countries FLAGS ffs. I'd play the **** out of the game SP if I could unlock the Irish flag, but noooooo.... So I really just play online, not even that bothered with the trials. I find training and using the record option to be pretty handy though.
    Yeah I think I'm just doing it wrong, I didn't realise you could merge actions, I was trying to do each move consecutively.
    yeah thats totally wrong, you're thinking more of linking then canceling. The reason its called canceling is that it cancels one animation into the other. Canceling the full low medium kick into the fireball animation. Or canceling the fireball animation into a super.

For example, in 3s. Kens best super was one where he'd do a bunch for kicks (while moving forward) then kick the guy up into the air. You could do a fireball, then cancel the animation into his super, the fireball would still come out though, and thus you see kick moving along the screen with kicks flying about with a fireball moving along with him.

This was great if you knew a guy was about to throw a fireball at you, you'd do this, and your fireball would cancel out his, and you'd pass through and land the super.

The motion for the super was down > forward, down > forward-kick. To add a fireball in there , it was simply down > forward-punch, down > forward-kick.
    So instead of down-MK, quarter-circle forward HP its down-MK-down+forward-forward+HP

You just do a fireball motion but hit medium kick at the down part (the start) your left thumb is doing the very same thing it would if it was just doing a fireball on its own.

I showed my friend this , who doesn't even have the game, like straight after I showed him how to fireball and he had it down. It is easy when you've someone to show you in real life alright. I hope I've helped yea anyways.

Advertisement