Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children's classics top book list

Options
  • 28-04-2009 1:14pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

From the BBC news website:
    Classic tales including Just William and The Railway Children dominate a list of best books for young readers, as chosen by children's laureates.

Just five of the 35 books - selected by Quentin Blake, Anne Fine, Michael Morpurgo, Jacqueline Wilson and Michael Rosen - came out in the past 20 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

very hard to disagree with any of those. Not the biggest fan of the famous five but can't see anything else mentioned that I disagree with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Hmmm...I'm not a fan of Harry Potter being purposely left off lists like this though.

Can anyone really say that (good as it is) The Family from One End Street, is a better children's book than any of the first four Harry Potters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

Harry Potter usually gets left off these lists due to snobbery (the list was selected by other author`s rather than a vote wasn`t it). I`m more surprised that there doesn`t seem to have been a place for Philip Pullman either (Dark Materials is far superior to Potter as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Yeah, I agree with whole snobbery thing about Harry Potter too. It's a very entertaining series, and probably one of the most successful children's books ever. So I really don't know why it's not on the list.

Personally, I used to love (well, I still do!) Roald Dahl's books as a child. Jacqueline Wilson is also very good (though maybe for older kids!).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm more surprised that there doesn`t seem to have been a place for Philip Pullman either (Dark Materials is far superior to Potter as well).
    Indeed!

The list seems to be more made up of books that may have whetted the Children's Laureates appetites when they were kids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

Dades wrote: »
    Indeed!

The list seems to be more made up of books that may have whetted the Children's Laureates appetites when they were kids.

Exactly. I can't imagine kids today reading Just William. And i thought
    Enid Blyton was twee even when I was a child!

@ Acacia.
    Roald Dahl is a legend.

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 orangecake

I can't imagine kids today reading Just William.

True, but they are missing out. I thought those books were hilarious when I was younger. They still are now when I pick them up and flick through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭cailinardthair

i never really read those books when i was kid! it was hedi, the hobbit, Enid Blyton and all the Roald Dahl! there classics! and i say in a few years time harry potter will make it on to the list!it was the book that got me reading!

Advertisement