Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Deposit Refund - Situation after 2-3 Days?

Options
  • 28-04-2009 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

Long story short, my wifes young sister rented a 3 bed house. She signed the contract, paid deposit, and then after 2-3days decided she was homesick, wrong decision, etc... No first months rent has been paid, just deposit.

The property management team were understanding but are keeping the deposit, even though they have indicated they have another possible tenant already, and also told her they would be in touch about the 2-3 days electricity and gas usage.

Just wondering is all this purely at the discretion of the Property Mgmt Company or does she have any rights on even getting a portion of her deposit back.

Thought's ? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

No rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

RasTa wrote: »
    No rights.

+1.

Its a shame but all she could do is appeal to their human side, Highely unlikely. She is just lucky she didn't pay any rent cause that would be gone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I think losing the deposit is fair enough if she had signed a contract. If not then she would be entitled to 27/30ths of it back I would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Rayan

That's a very unfair thing to happen to her, I'd say she would get it returned if she took them to the PRTB court.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Rayan wrote: »
    That's a very unfair thing to happen to her, I'd say she would get it returned if she took them to the PRTB court.

She signed a contract! She's lucky they're not chasing her for the rest of the 12 months' rent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Rayan

Woops didn't see that. I suppose she might just have to learn a valuable lesson, don't sign written contracts unless you're sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭bobbiw

No hope of getting that back. in fact he could sue her for the entire periods rent.

She got off lightly, tell her to read a little about what it means to enter into a legaly binding agreement and then maybe she wont cause the poor landlords so much hassle in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭kingofthecastle

bobbiw wrote: »
    She got off lightly, tell her to read a little about what it means to enter into a legaly binding agreement and then maybe she wont cause the poor landlords so much hassle in the future.

you're having a laugh bout the poor landlords right? Those poor landlords were who fuelled the property boom through greed, if they're getting burned now i'm glad

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mr Floyd

I've kinda the same problem, just moved out of a house i loved, was there for 5 years, just moved into a house 2 days ago and i hate the place, it old and shaby, smells and when i just went to use the stoved the smaell that came off the rings is disgusting and has stunk up the place even more. I paid 1 months rent and deposit which is 500 + 500, I have to get of here, the landlord lives in the house, how am i fixed, didnt sign anything, is my deposit gone? Feel ****ty having to break it to him but if i stay here i'll go off my head. Any advice much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

you're having a laugh bout the poor landlords right? Those poor landlords were who fuelled the property boom through greed, if they're getting burned now i'm glad
    Tarring every single landlord with the same brush is pretty infantile. Flippers aside, at the end of the day there will always be a demand for professional landlords providing high-quality accommodation. It sounds like the agent in this case was fairly reasonable. As others have said they could have perused for the rent for the entire length of the contract.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭bobbiw

Tarring every single landlord with the same brush is pretty infantile. Flippers aside, at the end of the day there will always be a demand for professional landlords providing high-quality accommodation. It sounds like the agent in this case was fairly reasonable. As others have said they could have perused for the rent for the entire length of the contract.

Thats what the low income people used to think. I deserve a house even if I make 20k a year and I deserve one, its not fair wah wah wah. I want a new car wah wah wah.

It was the "greedy" landlords who took a risk and maybe bought a second home. If it went well the peasants were jealous, if it goes bad then they laugh.

Pathetic really.

Greed didnt cause the Irish situation, it was just panic and lack of education that caused this situation.

Ireland was the 3rd world of Europe up until the 90s and if it goes back there again then then what do you do.

Advertisement