Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am paying more for somebodys public sector pension than my own Private pension

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

I know the point you are trying to make, which is fair enough. No, I do not have the figures for how many of the 300,000 odd thousand on between say € 866 to € 1066 per week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

jimmmy wrote: »
    I know the point you are trying to make, which is fair enough. No, I do not have the figures for how many of the 300,000 odd thousand on between say € 866 to € 1066 per week.

i would love to see the real average salary minus the TD's and judges salaries, that will show are more realistic figure. none of this 966 crap being put out by some posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

without knowing the spread of the wage levels, or the weighting, the average is pointless as a tool for supporting an argument.

You know the top wage levels (you yourself posted about it) and they were well above 1066 euro per week (gross), and you know what politicians and other public representatives earn (also well above 1066 per week) so it stands to reason that there are many who are well below the average (say half the average level).

so, basing any argument or idea on the average wage level and saying that all public servants must take a wage drop because the average is too high is an unfair argument.

a better argument would be that the top earners in the public sector should take a wage cut and that everyone should be moved closer to the average wage while not taking away from those below x number of standard deviations from the mean.

Then of course you have the arguments that a CEO salary in the public sector is not that much out of line with the CEO salary of a private sector company and this line would lead into the levels of responsibility faced by both CEOs.....

My point is, you make broad sweeping statements based on a single fact that you cannot expand upon and that you were told or read somewhere. If you said the average was 966 and 25% of public sector workers earn above this figure, then your argument would hold more weight.

As it stands, the figure of 966 is pointless and worthless for any statistical analysis (there is no spread , median or weighting).

all I was trying to get across was that your argument had no substance and that you should try to put your point across in another way for it to make sense and withstand criticism.

as for australia:
    http://flweb33.ypsilon.net/pricelist.php?YPS_SID=2009051318431183rjtdbdgshmtiuck&action=listAvailables

+

hostel for €86 euro:
    http://www.anoige.ie/packages/australia-backpackers

= approx €800 (ignore the fact that the flights are a month apart, it was just a quick search).

so, yes, someone earning a NET wage of 800 per week could afford a trip to australia.

This would only be an issue of course if only members of the public sector could afford this. I am almost positive however that there are people (even in this climate) working in the private sector that earn a net of over 800 per week.

so the australia argument is also not really an argument at all (in fact is reeks of journalistic shock tactics to me) "OMG!!! look what they can afford... oh wait, i can afford that too if I bothered my ass looking into the pricing and didnt just over-react to some juicey gossip I read in the Indo".

so, thread synopsis so far:
    private sector workers do not fund public sector pensions

the average wage of 966 per week is an insteresting snippet but nothing more valuable than that without further qualification

save now and australia for a few nights could be closer than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

kceire wrote: »
    i would love to see the real average salary minus the TD's and judges salaries, that will show are more realistic figure. none of this 966 crap being put out by some posters.

It is facile to argue that the salary of 166 TD's at €100k+ and possibly a similar number of equally overpaid judges would make a quantitative difference to the average, given that there are approx 370,000 public servants with a pay bill of approx €20billion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭badlyparkedmerc

Admittedly this thread will end up nowhere and as usual a bit too much public sector bashing of individual posters but for the hell of it the CSO figures causing bemusement are here.

http://www.cso.ie/statistics/public_sector_earnings.htm

Unfortunately the figures don't tell us if there's for instance a third level lecturer earning 100k a week and completely and unfairly skewing the figures, but lets say that thats not too likely.

Public servants need to look at the full salary at the top of the point scale, that's where the average salary will be because eventually you'd expect most to be on this level. Just because someone is a relatively recent recruit closer to the bottom of the scale doesn't mean the average salary will be closer to their salary than the top.

For pensions it should be remembered that more often than not it's paid out at a level higher than the average pay, as retiring employees will be the most expensive (typically).

Civil Service
    Prison officers
    Administrative civil servants
    Industrial civil servants
    Defence
    Garda Síochána
    Education
    Primary
    Secondary (excluding VEC and IT)
    Third level (excluding VEC and IT)
    VECs and Institutes of Technology
    Regional bodies
    Local authorities
    Other

Semi-state companies
    Commercial
    Non-commercial
    Others in the public sector
    Total public sector (excluding health)

Selected series with overtime excluded
    Garda Síochána

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Unfortunately the figures don't tell us if there's for instance a third level lecturer earning 100k a week and completely and unfairly skewing the figures, but lets say that thats not too likely.

It doesn't seem likely as in the table Third Level salaries are lower than second level and a good deal lower than Prison Officers!

loobylou wrote: »
    It is facile to argue that the salary of 166 TD's at €100k+ and possibly a similar number of equally overpaid judges would make a quantitative difference to the average, given that there are approx 370,000 public servants with a pay bill of approx €20billion.

it would show the real average of the typical PS workers salary, not the inflated 966e per week :rolleyes:

Exactly. The C.S.O. statistic for the average public sector wage is the average public sector wage. It includes the higher paid as well as the lower paid : that is why the central statistics office quotes it as the average of the 300,000 plus people .....quite a lot of people to base statistical analysis on, I think you will agree. It is the complete public service. Trying to base your argument on a smaller statistical sample of people , to suit your argument, is not the same thing.

And yes, it is possible to fly to Australia for € 966 return, with a few nights B+B thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

In my experience (both as the person who does up the kind of stats being quoted here and in my short time in the public sector) that the figures are relatively meaningless as they stand.

I've spent a lot of time over the last number of years preparing these kinds of stats for the various organisations I've worked for and the one piece of wisdom regarding them I will pass on is that they are all calculated from a certain point of view with a certain attempt at simpliifying the issue. For example that Third Level figure probably includes everyone from kitchen staff to Senior Lecturers to Presidents of the college/universities. A single figure for all those people is pretty meaningless.

What would be more meaningful is a spread across salary ranges in each of the areas, i.e. the number of people and avg salary within particular ranges within each area. It's obviously less easy on the eye, but it could highlight where potential issues are. It could be that the regular Joe Soaps of the public sector are not in any way overpaid, but that it is too top heavy. The problem therefore would be structure and not salary levels. I don't have enough info to know one way or another across the board. Maybe its different in different areas, i.e. structure in one area and wage levels in another etc. But throwing around a single figure like 966 to try and make any kind of point about the public sector as a whole, which is pretty diverse, is a waste of time.

molloyjh wrote: »
    But throwing around a single figure like 966 to try and make any kind of point about the public sector as a whole, which is pretty diverse, is a waste of time.

It is best, is it not, to take an average of three to four hundred thousand people than an average of a few thousand people. That is what the C.S.O. has done ; they are the experts in that area. Find me another country in the world where the average public sector pay is 966 per week ;)

• Advertisement

It is best, is it not, to take an average of three to four hundred thousand people than an average of a few thousand people. That is what the C.S.O. has done ; they are the experts in that area. Find me another country in the world where the average public sector pay is 966 per week ;)

Wow a response!!! Well now jimmy me lad, doing either is pointless. What is that 966 figures actually telling you and how can that single figure back up any claims you make in relation to it? It may well be a fact, but a single fact like this tells you little else other than an average of over 300,000 different things. The truth is far more complex than this one number. As my post previous said, there could be multiple reasons for this figure. Those reasons could differ across the various bodies within the public sector.

One single figure, regardless of the size of the sample set, is generally not going to tell you very much unless you are being very specific with your sample set. The whole Public Sector is anything but specific. It includes everyone from cleaners to top brass management across multiple and extremely varied areas.
    It is best, is it not, to take an average of three to four hundred thousand people than an average of a few thousand people.

That all depends on the purposes for which you are carrying out the test. It is certainly better in getting the average salary in the public sector, but the whole point is that the average salary across such a disparate group, regardless of what it is, is utterly meaningless for what you're using it for. In terms of discussing whether the total wage bill in the Public Sector is too high it would have a certain amount of meaning, however if discussing whether salary levels in general in the Public Sector are too high it doesn't. The two are very different, distinct issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It is best, is it not, to take an average of three to four hundred thousand people than an average of a few thousand people.

No, because its spread across a vast range of proffessions and pay scales. Public nurses pay has to be compared to private nurses etc. Nothing can be ascertained by using one figure for an extended baseless whinge.

it would show the real average of the typical PS workers salary, not the inflated 966e per week :rolleyes:

....ehhm? Do you really think that?

The C.S.O. statistic for the average public sector wage is the average public sector wage. Why can that not sink in to some public servants heads ? Why can some people not grasp a statistical average, taken from a huge sample of people ( well over 300,000 ) ? The CSO is the figure before taxation.

As said before, it is possible to fly to Australia for € 966 return, with a few nights B+B thrown in.
    That is what € 966 can buy.

I am still waiting for someone to find me another country in the world where the average public sector pay is 966 per week...and indeed p.s. pensioners get half that, plus the big lump sum.

....ehhm? Do you really think that?

ehhm? i know that :rolleyes:
    can you proove otherwise, instead of leeching onto jim jims factless posts

The C.S.O. statistic for the average public sector wage is the average public sector wage. Why can that not sink in to some public servants heads ? Why can some people not grasp a statistical average, taken from a huge sample of people ( well over 300,000 ) ? The CSO is the figure before taxation.

As said before, it is possible to fly to Australia for € 966 return, with a few nights B+B thrown in.
    That is what € 966 can buy.

I am still waiting for someone to find me another country in the world where the average public sector pay is 966 per week...and indeed p.s. pensioners get half that, plus the big lump sum.

Everyone has grasped the fact that it's the average jimmy. Most of us have called it that in our posts. You're blatantly ignoring the issue we're pointing out to you, i.e. that the average in this case isn't a telling factor and should not be used on it's own to make your point. I for one have never disagreed that there are issues with the public service wage bill, but unlike you I'm not advocating crazy cross the board cuts. If, for example, the issue is in the structure of the public service, i.e. too top heavy as I mentioned above, then reform and not wage cuts should be the primary focus.

As for the pensions I have also agreed that the pension provisions need to be reviewed, however I do also feel that public sector workers should have a guaranteed pension. If you have reasons why they shouldn't then please enlighten me as to why in a reasoned argument.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

As for the pensions I have also agreed that the pension provisions need to be reviewed, however I do also feel that public sector workers should have a guaranteed pension. If you have reasons why they shouldn't then please enlighten me as to why in a reasoned argument.
    They should but contingent on the fact that this is recognised in their renumeration and adjusted accordingly (which apparently benchmarking factored in last time).

Speaking of averages vs medians (or is it mode?) wages, is the same not applicable when comparing with private sector wages too? Aren't private sector figures we see averages for the industry and also factoring in management, etc? And is the PS/CS so top-heavy that the APs+ (and equivalent) really distort the bottom line so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

ixoy wrote: »
    They should but contingent on the fact that this is recognised in their renumeration and adjusted accordingly (which apparently benchmarking factored in last time).

Speaking of averages vs medians (or is it mode?) wages, is the same not applicable when comparing with private sector wages too? Aren't private sector figures we see averages for the industry and also factoring in management, etc? And is the PS/CS so top-heavy that the APs+ (and equivalent) really distort the bottom line so much?

Just looking at some salary rates on the dept of finance website and saw the following:
    The AP starting salary of 66.179 is almost 3 times the starting salary of a CO.
    The PO starting salary of 86,168 is almost 4 times the starting salary of a CO
    The Assistant Sec starting salary of 131,748 is almost 6 times the starting salary of a CO.
    The Dep Sec salary of 177,547 is almost 8 times the starting salary of a CO.
    The Secretary Gen salary of 221,929 is a wopping 9.5 times the starting salary of CO.

A cleaner in the Civil Service is on a weekly wage of 400.80 before tax.
    A CO is on a weekly wage of 444.12 (starting off) before tax.
    An SO is on a weekly starting wage of 671 before tax.
    An EO is on a weekly starting wage of 587 before tax.
    An AO is on a weekly starting wage of 641 before tax.

However a Sec Gen is on a weekly starting wage of 4267 before tax so there is a massive pay difference from low grades to the highest grades

ehhm? i know that :rolleyes:
    can you proove otherwise, instead of leeching onto jim jims factless posts

I am not leeching onto anyone or anything. I am merely pointing out that your mathematics are SERIOUSLY flawed.
    Even if a TD or judge were on a million euro a year, the fact that there are (relatively) so few of them out of a total PS figure of 370000 that their salaries would not QUANTITAVELY change the average.
    166 TD's at €100k per annum equals €16.6million. Say the same for judges, I don't know how many there are but surely not more than a couple of hundred.
    So say a total salary bill for judges and TD's of €50million, a total PS wage bill of €20billion, by my reckoning that makes TD and judges pay 0.25% of the total bill.
    To suggest as you have done that it is these payments alone which inflate the average is plain WRONG!

I am not leeching onto anyone or anything. I am merely pointing out that your mathematics are SERIOUSLY flawed.
    Even if a TD or judge were on a million euro a year, the fact that there are (relatively) so few of them out of a total PS figure of 370000 that their salaries would not QUANTITAVELY change the average.
    166 TD's at €100k per annum equals €16.6million. Say the same for judges, I don't know how many there are but surely not more than a couple of hundred.
    So say a total salary bill for judges and TD's of €50million, a total PS wage bill of €20billion, by my reckoning that makes TD and judges pay 0.25% of the total bill.
    To suggest as you have done that it is these payments alone which inflate the average is plain WRONG!

Well said...as I hinted before along the same lines eg " the c.s.o. statistic includes the higher paid as well as the lower paid : that is why the central statistics office quotes it as the average of the 300,000 plus people .....quite a lot of people to base statistical analysis on, I think you will agree"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

Wow a response!!! Well now jimmy me lad, doing either is pointless. What is that 966 figures actually telling you and how can that single figure back up any claims you make in relation to it? It may well be a fact, but a single fact like this tells you little else other than an average of over 300,000 different things. The truth is far more complex than this one number. As my post previous said, there could be multiple reasons for this figure. Those reasons could differ across the various bodies within the public sector.
    I seen thousands explanations why PS workers must have their high salaries
    I don’t understand one thing
    Why in most developed EU countries average salary of PS workers is less then average salary of private workers and they have working public services.
    Where it has been mentioned first time
    Industrial & Services* Public Sector Differential % of Ind&Serv

Denmark € 44,403 € 40,952 -€ 3,451 -7.77%
    Germany € 35,421 € 33,905 -€ 1,516 -4.28%
    Ireland € 35,746 € 45,643 € 9,897 27.69%
    Netherlands € 36,195 € 36,038 -€ 157 -0.43%
    Finland € 31,995 € 28,569 -€ 3,426 -10.71%
    Britain € 38,036 € 35,189 -€ 2,847 -7.49%
    BTW, Finland and Denmark are not cheaper then Ireland, therefore argument that Ireland overpriced will not be accepted

Absolutely. It's something that's always annoyed me, probably because I've often been asked to provide such stats in both the private and public sector. I'm not one of these biased people who see's one sector in one light and the other in a different one. Having worked in both I can see both have their good points and bad.

Regarding whether the Public Sector is top heavy, personally I don't know enough about the Public Sector across the board. My (limited) experience seems to be that the average Joe in the Public Sector isn't overpaid by comparison to their Private Sector counter-parts (I'm personally on less than I would be in the Private Sector at the moment). However there does seem to be a very significant jump in salaries for management level, more-so than I've seen in the Private Sector. Perhaps it is a mix of top heavy and overpaid management? But to be honest I can't say with any great certainty. Hence the spread of data I was talking about could shed more light on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

...Speaking of averages vs medians (or is it mode?) wages, is the same not applicable when comparing with private sector wages too? Aren't private sector figures we see averages for the industry and also factoring in management, etc?

That depends on who is reporting. It's a little bit of work to dig into the CSO site and find what is included in any average.
    And is the PS/CS so top-heavy that the APs+ (and equivalent) really distort the bottom line so much?

The average PS earnings are pulled up by some non-CS categories that are numerically significant and earn higher pay -- teachers and guards particularly. The public sector (excluding health) average weekly pay in 2008 was €948.91; the CS average was €916.06. See http://www.cso.ie/statistics/public_sector_earnings.htm

I think most of the discussion in this area is a waste of time. An average is a crude indicator, and should be regarded as such. Of course some values fall below it and other fall above it.

Why in most developed EU countries average salary of PS workers is less then average salary of private workers and they have working public services.

BTW, Finland and Denmark are not cheaper then Ireland, therefore argument that Ireland overpriced will not be accepted

Again all you are doing here is taking a single number. What does that really tell you? That the Public Sector wage bill is too high? Fair enough I agree. Beyond that what does it say or suggest? Absolutely nothing. The reason(s) the wage bill is so high could be varied and this is what needs to be looked at, nothing else.

Another thing, the figures you have above would seem to contradict jimmys 966 a week. The problem here is both figures could be right. The complexity and potential pitfalls of trying to get salary information on so many people across so many organisations with so many different job roles and so many different definitions of every facet of the returns from organisations, some of which may not have the systems to be able to accurately report it, and then trying to group all of that info in a sensible apples to apples way is staggering. From returns to the Central Bank I used to do when in the Banking area I saw how hard it was to do this kind of thing among a small number of companies, and this study was across a large number of countries! So while the figures may differ they may both be right from certain points of view (a quote you may appreciate Count Dooku ;)).

Excellent post, considering it is your fourth post ever.

As said before,
    I am still waiting for someone to find me another country in the world where the average public sector pay is the Irish central statistics quoted average of 966 per week...and indeed p.s. pensioners get half that, plus the big lump sum.

Excellent post, considering it is your fourth post ever.

As said before,
    I am still waiting for someone to find me another country in the world where the average public sector pay is the Irish central statistics quoted average of 966 per week...and indeed p.s. pensioners get half that, plus the big lump sum.

Head....brick wall.....

Pissing....wind.....

Read my above posts jimmy and address them if you're really interested in discussion. Otherwise could you let the rest of us get on with it please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

Again all you are doing here is taking a single number. What does that really tell you? That the Public Sector wage bill is too high? Fair enough I agree. Beyond that what does it say or suggest? Absolutely nothing. The reason(s) the wage bill is so high could be varied and this is what needs to be looked at, nothing else.

Another thing, the figures you have above would seem to contradict jimmys 966 a week. The problem here is both figures could be right. The complexity and potential pitfalls of trying to get salary information on so many people across so many organisations with so many different job roles and so many different definitions of every facet of the returns from organisations, some of which may not have the systems to be able to accurately report it, and then trying to group all of that info in a sensible apples to apples way is staggering. From returns to the Central Bank I used to do when in the Banking area I saw how hard it was to do this kind of thing among a small number of companies, and this study was across a large number of countries! So while the figures may differ they may both be right from certain points of view (a quote you may appreciate Count Dooku ;)).
    This number tells me a lot.
    First, I would like to point you that statistic about average salary for PS services is more accurate, because state departments shouldn’t cheat with taxes. It means that figure for average PS worker salary is accurate.
    Second, I didn’t get answer what is the difference between total responsibilities PS workers in Ireland and other EU countries, which justify so high salary in comparison with PS workers in other EU countries. I understand that average responsibilities in private and public sectors are different, but they must be the same in different EU countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

What jobs are they including in that? TD's? Consultants? Judges etc. Full-time workers? Part-time workers?
    35k the average industrial wage in Ireland? I know labourers that earn more than that!
    All it says to me is that the black economy is bigger here:D
    I remember from my own days on the building all the OT was cash in hand;)

• Advertisement

This number tells me a lot.
    First, I would like to point you that statistic about average salary for PS services is more accurate, because state departments shouldn’t cheat with taxes. It means that figure for average PS worker salary is accurate.
    Second, I didn’t get answer what is the difference between total responsibilities PS workers in Ireland and other EU countries, which justify so high salary in comparison with PS workers in other EU countries. I understand that average responsibilities in private and public sectors are different, but they must be the same in different EU countries.

The problem here Count Dooku is that you are assuming that this average salary translates to cross-the-board higher salaries, which it may not do.

Additionally you also presume that you are comparing like with like. I am not disputing the figures (although I am pointing out how easy it would be for them to be inaccurate at the same time :o). I am saying that, say we were looking at Administrative salaries in Ireland, what UCD consider to be administrative and what the Health Service consider administrative and what AIB consider to be Administrative could be 3 entirely different things. These kinds of returns have all sorts of proviso's attached re the categories of staff you should or should not include or how you should account for them. How different organsiations interpret that varies from organisation to organisation. These kinds of definitional differences are common place in this sort of return.

Either way my point still stands. I'm not disputing the total wage bill issue, just the notion that this means everyone in the Public Sector is overpaid.

Advertisement