Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am paying more for somebodys public sector pension than my own Private pension

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭kindajaded

jimmmy wrote: »
    I never quoted or gave life expectancy figures - you must be thinking of someone elses posticon6.gif

sorry jimmmy but you quoted the figure of 1 million being the value of a pension to a garda who retires at 60yrs - and that figure was based on someones calculation (albeit maybe not your own - one near yours in that bit if thread) that the pension would be paid out over 30 - 40 years. i worked it out based on life expectancy of 18 yrs and got more like 600k. still very high but a long way off a million!
    you didn't give a solution to the problem jimmmy - what do you think can be done about it?
    A/do we allow gardai to work to 65yrs - i agree with this - which would put their pension into the same value as everyone else - 5% employer contribution
    B/and/or do we scrap the PS pension
    C/or - i also in favour - make PS-type pension compulsory for everyone?
    D/or reduce the PS pension to being cost neutral by reducing payouts (e.g. to 45% of final salary - that would roughly make it cost neutral - being generous and not including any money that state could make from the fund) AND if that is done then make the PS pension non-compulsory - because it is not fair to force people to contribute to something that is worth less or at best no more than what they could get elsewhere.

answer me jimmmy please!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

kindajaded wrote: »
    a 5% employer contribution is not alot.

It adds up very quickly to an lot of money. Try being an employer and paying it in these difficult timesicon6.gif

How much a week or a month do you reckon needs to be put in to a pension pot to add up to the average of over a million euro ( equivalent to that of a Garda who takes early retirement ) icon12.gif

sorry jimmmy but you quoted the figure of 1 million being the value of a pension to a garda who retires at 60yrs

Its being widely reported in the Media and on RTE as being worth over a million actually. icon6.gif Given the way equities and property funds have fallen, no private life assurance company will given the same benefits / payout to an early retiring Guard ( on average Garda pay ) even for 1 million.

It adds up very quickly to an lot of money. Try being an employer and paying it in these difficult timesicon6.gif

How much a week or a month do you reckon needs to be put in to a pension pot to add up to the average of over a million euro ( equivalent to that of a Garda who takes early retirement ) icon12.gif

it is not alot in comparison to typical contributions of those employers who do contribute - see the link http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_10006287.shtml
    the average was supposedly 16% in private companies in 2006.
    now before you start jumping up and down i don't really beleive this is representative of most employers.
    the point is that IF you are going to have a pension scheme for employees
    and ESPECIALLY IF you are going to make it compulsory 5% employer contribution is NOT high compared to employers who ARE comtributing.
    now either scrap it altoghether and we'll have an inpoverished elderly or let the PS lead the way in encouraging employers contribute a minimum of 5% to pensions for their workers - that 5% could be tax free for the employer (i think it already is) so that really couldn't be alot to contribute.

Its being widely reported in the Media and on RTE as being worth over a million actually. icon6.gif Given the way equities and property funds have fallen, no private life assurance company will given the same benefits / payout to an early retiring Guard ( on average Garda pay ) even for 1 million.

jaysus jimmmy - just get a calculator:

retires age 60yrs on 60K:
    30k for 18 years = 540,000 euros
    plus lump sum = 90k
    90+540 = 630

• Advertisement

and actually jimmmy that 630k does not account for the roughly 220k that that garda will have paid into the pension fund - this is WITHOUT allowing for interest.
    so this pension is worth more like 410k.
    and before you start saying, yes well it also goes up with salary increases after retirement- try to calculate the MASSIVE amount that 220k could make in compound interest in a simple savings account for 35 years
    AND don't forget that he will NOT get the state pension worth 112k over 18yrs.

so, yes jimmmy, most people here have already agreed with you that those 5 years of getting a pension and not working make a massive difference - if people have on 18yrs left to live when they retire and get 5yrs extra pension and 5 yrs less contributions to it then it makes their pension earnings very high and something (something fair - like not making them retire early) should be done about it.

but you have studiously IGNORED every other bit of the calculations made here apart from the specious assertion that a 5% employer contribution to pension funds is too high.

and to be honest jimmmy if you are an employer and this is what you are saying now i doubt it very much that you ever offered any sort of pension to your employees. it would have cost you roughly 3% (after tax) of each of their earnings extra per week - thats an extra 12 euros from you for a guy on 400 euros per week. now whether that was your choice or theirs not to lose it from their earnings i think you are at best foolish.
    "in these difficult times" sort of stuff from people who probably were never good employers to begin with really doesn't gain my sympathy.

"in these difficult times" sort of stuff from people who probably were never good employers to begin with really doesn't gain my sympathy.

Even in the " good " times most employers could not build up a pension fund worth over a million per person for those taking early retirement. Most would have been bankrupt very quickly if they had attempted to do so. Do you think firms abroad for example pay their retirees as generously as the Irish taxpayer pays its retired government employees ?

Even in the " good " times most employers could not build up a pension fund worth over a million per person for those taking early retirement. Most would have been bankrupt very quickly if they had attempted to do so. Do you think firms abroad for example pay their retirees as generously as the Irish taxpayer pays its retired government employees ?

are you deliberately not getting this jimmmy?:
    let me say it again then you can go and do the calculations yourself using the same 'eagle star' and 'rabo-direct' calculator i used:
    FOR ALL EARNERS ON 65K OR LESS RETIRING AT 65YRS (I.E. NOT INCLUDING PEOPLE RETIRING AT 60YRS):
    IF THE EMPLOYER ADDS 5% OF SALARY TO AN EMPLOYEE CONTRIBUTION EQUAL TO WHAT A PS WORKER ON THAT SALARY WOULD PAY
    THEN SEND THIS MONEY TO EAGLE STAR AND SAVE A PORTION FOR THE LUMP SUM YOUR EMPLOYEE WILL GET THE SAME PENSION AS A PS WORKER
    YOU - THE EMPLOYER - DO NOT HAVE TO SAVE UP MILLIONS

THIS IS NOW DISTRACTING ME FROM THE WORK I AM TRYING TO GET DONE ON MY ANNUAL LEAVE AND SINCE I NOW BELIEVE YOU ARE JUST A TIME WASTER I WILL NOT ANSWER ANY MORE OF YOUR POSTS

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The problem here is the State Pension is too high. Employers do contribute 10.75% to it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Not all Guards retire at 60 or 65. The majority of employers ....be they convenience stores, shops, tradespeople, factories, farms, workshops, restaurants, pubs, garages etc...simply cannot afford to build up a pension pot of a million or more per employee, in addition to paying their salary, holiday pay, sick pay etc.

K-9 wrote: »
    The problem here is the State Pension is too high. Employers do contribute 10.75% to it.

aarghh!!!!!
    public service employers USED TO contribute over 10% to it - not anymore!!
    with the levy the employer contribution works out more like 5%
    and that is if the employer just took the money and put it directly into a private pension company and put the first 10 years into a standard savings account

and yes - i have accounted for the thresholds for the new rates and thresholds for the old levy rates and yes i have excluded both prsi payments and the state pension and yes that is index linked and yes that does not include interest on the pension fund or equally increments after retirement and yes i have excluded tax exemptions on both sides.
    it is roughly accurate and until one of you fantasists comes up with another calculation to at least prove that you are not too lazy to do the work then do not expect people to believe you just because you can quote and misquote every snippet of media info you hear

aarghh!!!!!
    public service employers USED TO contribute over 10% to it - not anymore!!
    with the levy the employer contribution works out more like 5%
    and that is if the employer just took the money and put it directly into a private pension company and put the first 10 years into a standard savings account

and yes - i have accounted for the thresholds for the new rates and thresholds for the old levy rates and yes i have excluded both prsi payments and the state pension and yes that is index linked and yes that does not include interest on the pension fund or equally increments after retirement and yes i have excluded tax exemptions on both sides.
    it is roughly accurate and until one of you fantasists comes up with another calculation to at least prove that you are not too lazy to do the work then do not expect people to believe you just because you can quote and misquote every snippet of media info you hear

Huh?

You got all that from one line?

If the State Pension was say, €300 per week for a married couple, Public Servants would receive more value. The main reason lower paid Public Servants don't receive much is because it's linked to the State Pension.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Huh?

You got all that from one line?

If the State Pension was say, €300 per week for a married couple, Public Servants would receive more value. The main reason lower paid Public Servants don't receive much is because it's linked to the State Pension.

from less k-9 : it was the 10.75% that did it. it's pure rubbish.
    go away and work it out - all of it not just bits of examples of this or that.
    the 5% stands right up to and over 65k.
    i'm off now.

The original poster is not the only one "paying more for somebodys public sector pension than my own Private pension". 'Tis grand for those who do get public sector pensions, of course. Ah shure I'm all right jack, cant all the 1,800,000 people in the private sector continue to support the govt and their employees, and pay for my pension; and get yer employers to cough up for equally generous pensions for yee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

The answer OP is that if your like me you probably are.

My summary for the last year.
    Pension contribution made by self: €0.00
    Pension contribution by employer: €0.00
    Total put away for retirement: €0.00

Taxes paid for 2008: many thousands of euro.

Therefore if just €1 of the many thousands in tax I pay goes to public sector pensions I'm still paying more for them than I can afford for myself.

that thats the nub of it all, I cant afford anymore.

But I dont mind, I'm happy to pay for politicians with more pensions than braincells, teachers who work long hours, garda that will always respond when I call, & the cleanest best hospitals in the world
    There was some poetic lisence in my last paragraph :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Not that I don't agree that the pensions are good spank_inferno, but the point some PS/CS workers are making is that they can't afford to pay for their own pensions either but they have no choice in the matter whereas you would.

If public sector people wish to opt out of paying something towards their pension, they should be able to...it would save the taxpayer a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Am I right in saying that those in the private sector who do not make any pension contributions towards their own pensions (apart from prsi) will receive the State pension, which both public and private sector workers contribute towards?

I know some in the private sector who paid taxes all their lives ( income tax, corporation tax, vat , stamp duty etc ) , and still did not get a pension, because they were business people and means tested. A bit like how self employed peopled now, whose business fails, do not get the dole unless they they are down and out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

EF wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that those in the private sector who do not make any pension contributions towards their own pensions (apart from prsi) will receive the State pension, which both public and private sector workers contribute towards?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

are you deliberately not getting this jimmmy?:
    let me say it again then you can go and do the calculations yourself using the same 'eagle star' and 'rabo-direct' calculator i used:
    FOR ALL EARNERS ON 65K OR LESS RETIRING AT 65YRS (I.E. NOT INCLUDING PEOPLE RETIRING AT 60YRS):
    IF THE EMPLOYER ADDS 5% OF SALARY TO AN EMPLOYEE CONTRIBUTION EQUAL TO WHAT A PS WORKER ON THAT SALARY WOULD PAY
    THEN SEND THIS MONEY TO EAGLE STAR AND SAVE A PORTION FOR THE LUMP SUM YOUR EMPLOYEE WILL GET THE SAME PENSION AS A PS WORKER
    YOU - THE EMPLOYER - DO NOT HAVE TO SAVE UP MILLIONS

THIS IS NOW DISTRACTING ME FROM THE WORK I AM TRYING TO GET DONE ON MY ANNUAL LEAVE AND SINCE I NOW BELIEVE YOU ARE JUST A TIME WASTER I WILL NOT ANSWER ANY MORE OF YOUR POSTS

Jimmmy doesn't do numbers. He just repeats the mantra he's fed.

Jimmmy doesn't do evidence, he does hearsay.

Jimmmy knows!

from less k-9 : it was the 10.75% that did it. it's pure rubbish.
    go away and work it out - all of it not just bits of examples of this or that.
    the 5% stands right up to and over 65k.
    i'm off now.

What are you on about?

Private Employers pay 10.75% already to the State Pension and other SW. Are you disputing that?

PS. Not every post is aimed at you in this thread. I was making a general point that I noticed in a separate thread on the issue.

EF wrote: »

If you qualify for the State contributory pension you qualify, but you've hit the nail on the head.

It was my point and thank you for acknowledging it. Many lower level civil servants will receive no more than the State Contributory pension.

The problem is the State Contributory Pension is often actually higher than what Public Servants pay for! Madness!

When a State Pension is higher than a Public Service Pension, well...................

On top of that, you receive very little extra for all those years of contributions, €20 a week odd!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

If public sector people wish to opt out of paying something towards their pension, they should be able to...it would save the taxpayer a fortune.

I'd like to be able to opt out of it. But saving the taxpayer a fortune? I doubt it!

Even if I put my contributions into a simple savings account for 40 years that would accrue a LOT of interest.
    Also, if I had the choice to opt out of the public sector pension I could invest in a private pension fund and then on retirement I would have 2 pensions. The state pension (paid for theough my PRSI) and a private pension.
    PS before anyone says private pension funds have lost value I think in the long term they will recover.
    Myself and the majority of the public sector would be better off if we could opt out of the pension scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

The original poster is not the only one "paying more for somebodys public sector pension than my own Private pension". 'Tis grand for those who do get public sector pensions, of course. Ah shure I'm all right jack, cant all the 1,800,000 people in the private sector continue to support the govt and their employees, and pay for my pension; and get yer employers to cough up for equally generous pensions for yee.

This makes absolutely no sense. Its gibberish!:)
    What point are you trying to make here???
    I'm guessing its that public sector pensions should be scrapped altogether because we are all encouraging other PRSI paying workers to look for a pension.
    You seem to be living in the 19th century where all workers should be on a bare minimum wage with no hols or pension and we could doff our caps to you when you pass by. Wouldn't it be great if only small business owners and the self employed could have a pension? Would that keep you happy Jimmmy?
    What I find a bit rich is you are trying to ally yourself to private sector employees to gain kudos
    when you are not an employee. You are self employed.
    The economy is in **** so blame the public sector!!! Take some responsibility for your own actions!

grahamo wrote: »
    This makes absolutely no sense. What point are you trying to make here???

Read it again so. I will break it down in to three parts to make it easier for you.
    The original poster is not the only one "paying more for somebodys public sector pension than my own Private pension".

'Tis grand for those who do get public sector pensions, of course.

"Ah shure I'm all right jack, cant all the 1,800,000 people in the private sector continue to support the govt and their employees, and pay for my pension; and get yer employers to cough up for equally generous pensions for yee."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Read it again so. I will break it down in to three parts to make it easier for you.
    The original poster is not the only one "paying more for somebodys public sector pension than my own Private pension".

"Ah shure I'm all right jack, cant all the 1,800,000 people in the private sector continue to support the govt and their employees, and pay for my pension; and get yer employers to cough up for equally generous pensions for yee."

nope, still makes no sense :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Rob67

Jimmmy, just a quick question... Do you actually work? I just say this because I read through most of the threads were you have been and it would seem to me that you put up a lot of your posts during the normal working day... this is an observation based upon supposition and random assumption and open to informed rebuttal, much like your very own observations which seem to be based upon supposition and random assumption and are always open to informed rebuttal.:D

AND before you have a go at me as to how I am doing exactly the same thing as you, I am on leave for the week doing interviews before I leave my 'cushy' public sector job.

Oh! By the way, feel free to complain about me in any way you want, I am so tired of seeing constant public sector bashing without proper constructive thoughts on what needs to be done in the public sector outside the mantra of cuts, cuts and even more cuts without specifying what exactly you actually mean by cuts, figures and facts from informed sources are what is required not: 'what I saw on telly' Yes, I know I misquoted you! But I felt I had to keep this as short as possible and to condense what you say would take too long and quoting nothing of worth is an exercise in futility.

Rant is now over.

I apologise to the moderators of this fine establishment in advance of a probable ban.

Have a nice day! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Biffo The Bare

Rob67 wrote: »
    Jimmmy, just a quick question... Do you actually work? I just say this because I read through most of the threads were you have been and it would seem to me that you put up a lot of your posts during the normal working day... this is an observation based upon supposition and random assumption and open to informed rebuttal, much like your very own observations which seem to be based upon supposition and random assumption and are always open to informed rebuttal.:D

AND before you have a go at me as to how I am doing exactly the same thing as you, I am on leave for the week doing interviews before I leave my 'cushy' public sector job.

Oh! By the way, feel free to complain about me in any way you want, I am so tired of seeing constant public sector bashing without proper constructive thoughts on what needs to be done in the public sector outside the mantra of cuts, cuts and even more cuts without specifying what exactly you actually mean by cuts, figures and facts from informed sources are what is required not: 'what I saw on telly' Yes, I know I misquoted you! But I felt I had to keep this as short as possible and to condense what you say would take too long and quoting nothing of worth is an exercise in futility.

Rant is now over.

I apologise to the moderators of this fine establishment in advance of a probable ban.

Have a nice day! ;)
    Whats your point then. OK you are tired of "public sector bashing" but whats your solution for the required 20-30% cut in public spending, and don't say reduce the unemployment benefit.

Advertisement