Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the procedure?

Options
  • 28-04-2009 1:40pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks,

I'm just curious as to the procedure that would be used to remove the Governement from office in this country. Can anyone explain to me how it should go?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think its called a general election where people tick their favourite name/best looking woman/some guy who your father likes on a piece of paper and then stick it in a box.

If you want to remove them before then, I guess its a coup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

people don't vote for them is the usual way.

i guess the President has some powers, but being useless isn't usually a reason to desolve a government.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

kbannon wrote: »
    If you want to remove them before then, I guess its a coup!

Sorry this is what I meant...

Lets say in a months time the Gov screw something up really badly and people in this country wanted rid of them. What procedure would they use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Sorry this is what I meant...

Lets say in a months time the Gov screw something up really badly and people in this country wanted rid of them. What procedure would they use?

i think that happened back in about December.

The President can call an urgent meeting with both houses of the Oireachtas if they feel there is a need of national importance, but other than that we are stuck with the useless bastards for as long as their term allows.

Welcome to democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Under the present circumstances Govt lose a vote of confidence , the President accepts the government's resignation and an election is held. Alternatively the Govt. can call an election at any time during their term of office but must go the polls once that term of 5 years has ended.

• Advertisement
Advertisement