Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast City this weekend...

Options
  • 28-04-2009 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hi,

Myself and a few friends are going to Belfast this weekend (bank holiday weekend n' all of that :) ).
    I'm just looking for advice on some good bars to go to, and any events/gigs that may be on this weekend.

There will be about 6 or 7 of us, all in our early to mid 20's. Mixture of guys and girls.

In Dublin, our favourite bars would include....The Quays in temple bar, Flannerys & Whelans...so something along those lines would be great :)

We are staying in the city centre.

Suggestions of good central pubs for some pub grub / hangover breakfasts, would be great too.

Thanks!

Oh, also...with regards to shopping...what is the best option to get the best exchange rate. Change euros to sterling before we leave? Change into sterling when we get there? Use laser? Or use credit card?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

well whats the name of the place your staying in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Re. the currency, Euro is accepted up here though not everywhere. The rate is usually fairly good (they're keen to get the Euro outta you!). If you're changing money up here do it in either the post office or the Marks and Spencer currency bureau (in the big M&S opposite city hall and the big wheel) as, afaik, they're both commission free still. I don't think there'll be too much difference in the rate you'd get doing it once you get here v doing it before you leave. If you use your credit cards your providers will charge a % for currency exchange, though this will (almost always) be included in the total amount that appears on your statement for the transaction so you won't notice it.

I'll pop back later/tomorrow with some social suggestions :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Knifey_Spoony

pow wow wrote: »
    Re. the currency, Euro is accepted up here though not everywhere. The rate is usually fairly good (they're keen to get the Euro outta you!). If you're changing money up here do it in either the post office or the Marks and Spencer currency bureau (in the big M&S opposite city hall and the big wheel) as, afaik, they're both commission free still. I don't think there'll be too much difference in the rate you'd get doing it once you get here v doing it before you leave. If you use your credit cards your providers will charge a % for currency exchange, though this will (almost always) be included in the total amount that appears on your statement for the transaction so you won't notice it.

I'll pop back later/tomorrow with some social suggestions :cool:

Thanks a million!

Suggestions on comedy shows and/or gigs would be great.
    Also, ideas on good pubs to watch the rugby on Sat :)
    ...and general good places for a booze up! (Places similar to Whelans and Flannerys) :)

Thanks a million!

Suggestions on comedy shows and/or gigs would be great.
    Also, ideas on good pubs to watch the rugby on Sat :)
    ...and general good places for a booze up! (Places similar to Whelans and Flannerys) :)

place to watch rugby = bot

will byfar have best atmosphere

dont think there is any comedy shows on at weekends.

there will prob be somethingt on in mandela hall on the saturday night, this i me a concert.

however prior booking will probably be needed

regob wrote: »
    place to watch rugby = bot

will byfar have best atmosphere

dont think there is any comedy shows on at weekends.

there will prob be somethingt on in mandela hall on the saturday night, this i me a concert.

however prior booking will probably be needed

The Bot's a hole if you're over 21 regob...no offence :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

You'd probably like the limelight bar. Play rock/pop music for dancefloor

For pubbing try....

The Northern Whig on Bridge Street (5-10min walk from big wheel)...http://www.thenorthernwhig.com/index.asp

McHughs on Queen's Square (15ish min walk from big wheel)... http://www.mchughsbar.com/index.asp

Apartment on Donegall Square West (big wheel!!)...http://www.apartmentbelfast.com/contact.aspx

As Bottle of Smoke said, The Limelight is good for a wee dance ;)

For post fun snacks, there's a slightly grotty looking but very yummy 'cafe' opposite the Northern Whig....savage Ulster fry! Nyom! Maggie May's out on Botanic is also good but a bit off your beaten track if you're staying in the middle of town.

Re. the rugger...much as it pains me to say the Botanic is probably one of your better bets. Maybe all the students will be away because it's the weekend :D A taxi from the middle of town would set you back about a fiver.

That's brilliant. Thanks a million!!! :):):)

Oh, what's Lavery's like? A couple of friends of mine mentioned that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

One of my favourite spots. Worth a visit!
    Check out http://www.belfastbar.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Ha-melmahey

For pubbing try....

The Northern Whig on Bridge Street (5-10min walk from big wheel)...http://www.thenorthernwhig.com/index.asp

McHughs on Queen's Square (15ish min walk from big wheel)... http://www.mchughsbar.com/index.asp

Apartment on Donegall Square West (big wheel!!)...http://www.apartmentbelfast.com/contact.aspx

For post fun snacks, there's a slightly grotty looking but very yummy 'cafe' opposite the Northern Whig....savage Ulster fry! Nyom! Maggie May's out on Botanic is also good but a bit off your beaten track if you're staying in the middle of town.

Re. the rugger...much as it pains me to say the Botanic is probably one of your better bets. Maybe all the students will be away because it's the weekend :D A taxi from the middle of town would set you back about a fiver.

All the afore mentioned bars are good if you have an expensive outfit due for an out'n.

Though if you want proper pubs that the locals go to meet all sorts & have a great night, head just round the corner from the Northern Whig to the area called the Cathedral Quarter... The Spaniard, The Duke of York (upstairs usually good acoustic set + fantastic allsorts disco on sat) John Hewitt, (for great mix of gay/straight throw'n some shapes) The Kremlin or Union St - just across from best burger van and only 2mins down from safe fast taxis!

The Kremlin???! LOL :eek:

The ones I recommended aren't especially posh ('cept the Apartment!) - they're just not dives. Lavery's is good but always v v busy :D

The Kremlin???! LOL :eek:

The ones I recommended aren't especially posh ('cept the Apartment!) - they're just not dives. Lavery's is good but always v v busy :D

Bad experience in the Kremlin then? ;)

No didn't say they were particularly posh... but you got to admit they do tend to attract posers. We can agree on Lavery's and Limelight (abit divey) as well as Spring & Airbrake be'n good'uns for gigs... along the same lines and in the same area Auntie Annies can also be interest'n.

Just give Wetherspoons a wide birth at the weekends, when the sun goes down.

Bad experience in the Kremlin then? ;)

No didn't say they were particularly posh... but you got to admit they do tend to attract posers. We can agree on Lavery's and Limelight (abit divey) as well as Spring & Airbrake be'n good'uns for gigs... along the same lines and in the same area Auntie Annies can also be interest'n.

Just give Wetherspoons a wide birth at the weekends, when the sun goes down.

Won't be seeing you down the Bridge House so? ;) The Kremlin (and the memories) are for life, not just for Christmas.

Won't be seeing you down the Bridge House so? ;) The Kremlin (and the memories) are for life, not just for Christmas.

Been to Wetherspoons and can be fine for cheap n cheerful grub/drink in daylight, but it turns abit 'stay off the moors' when the light fades... not exactly what you want to walk unsuspect'n tourists into :D

I see another ill advised Kremlin Xmas do has left it's mark :P

For pubbing try....

pow wow disagree wit ya on the bot comment, hes going to watch the rugby and he wants abit of atmosphere, he doesnt want to be smoking cigars with the crew of the hms pinafor,

northern wig, why like, over priced cocktails, dont see the point

apartment, yeah its worth a go but abit of a more mature crowd

magie mays yummie

agree with the botanic comment go for it

There are no naval ships in this weekend so (s)he'll be fine regob. :rolleyes:

To recap, avoid the Bridge House! And google The Kremlin to see if it's your cup of tea. I'm with Ha-melmahey that the Duke of York is a nice pub to chill out and 'mingle' with the locals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Have a Belfast Ale in here:

3293117372_e831a9aec3.jpg

Thanks for all the replies! :)

I'm liking the review of Lavery's on that website:

http://www.belfastbar.co.uk/laverys-review.htm

Sounds like the kind of place we are looking for.

Don't worry though...I'll try out a good few of the other suggestions too! :)

Oh, one more q....what time do most pubs stop serving at and close at?
    And are there any that stay open later than others?

Oh, and I'm a she by the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

There's actually a really good outdoors gig on at Custom House Square on Saturday, jointly headlined by And So I Watch You From Afar (Belfast) and Fighting With Wire (Derry). Will be a rockin show alright. Opens at 8pm and is £5 in. I'd recommend it.

http://fastfude.org/topic.php?id=33696&start=15

• Advertisement

Magnus wrote: »
    Have a Belfast Ale in here:

3293117372_e831a9aec3.jpg

agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭James Mcfadden

Belfast ale tastes like feet to be honest. Theres a good bar behind the crown called Irene and annes. Avoid the bot at all costs and if you have loads of money and want to sit with pretensious prats then go to the cathedral quater.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭mocata

The crown is not that great, the loo's were nasty the last time i was in it (one of my pub-quality benchmarks)

Irene and Nans is lovely, Lavery's is unique too and ur pretty much guaranteed a mad nite in it. The limelight would probably be the closest thing to Whelans in Belfast, and I love it.

Belfast ale tastes like feet to be honest. Theres a good bar behind the crown called Irene and annes. Avoid the bot at all costs and if you have loads of money and want to sit with pretensious prats then go to the cathedral quater.

i dont see why people seem to have this hatred of the bot

regob wrote: »
    i dont see why people seem to have this hatred of the bot

It caters to a certain 'age group', I think once you're outside that it's just not as appealing. Myself and Markok84 would recommend the Sunday carvery tho...nyom :D

It caters to a certain 'age group', I think once you're outside that it's just not as appealing. Myself and Markok84 would recommend the Sunday carvery tho...nyom :D

are thoughts differ once again pow wow

Well you asked, I answered, possibly a lot more diplomatically than others would have! Back on topic now. The OP is probably amongst us now, enjoying the Belfast sunshine!

Well you asked, I answered, possibly a lot more diplomatically than others would have! Back on topic now. The OP is probably amongst us now, enjoying the Belfast sunshine!

dont understand my dear?, yeah wonder hows adviced he followed

We'll find out Tuesday :) The OP is a young lady by the way :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

We'll find out Tuesday :) The OP is a young lady by the way :rolleyes:

why whats happening tuesday, oh sorry op, i keep forgetting. shes young why the hell are you telling her to go to the cathedral quarter. you crazy.

Advertisement