Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBS - have there been areas already completed?

Options
  • 28-04-2009 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

When trying to find out where the NBS was up to I came across:

http://www.three.ie/nbs/live-areas.htm

which have been linked to as "Click here to find out which areas can now enjoy broadband with thanks to the National Broadband Scheme"

Firstly 'Clifden' is marked as one of the beneficaries. However it already had DSL broadband.

Secondly is there a timetable available on the rollout?

Instead of 3 making false allegations about IrelandOffline it would be far better if they actually started to tell us where they are up to and what we are paying them for. I have no links to IrelandOffline and from a regular citizen's point of view the only people to say anything good about the scheme are 3 and the Government.

I can see the entire scheme going the way of the electronic voting machines.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

fergalfrog wrote: »

which have been linked to as "Click here to find out which areas can now enjoy broadband with thanks to the National Broadband Scheme"

Firstly 'Clifden' is marked as one of the beneficaries. However it already had DSL broadband.

Instead of 3 making false allegations about IrelandOffline it would be far better if they actually started to tell us where they are up to and what we are paying them for. I have no links to IrelandOffline and from a regular citizen's point of view the only people to say anything good about the scheme are 3 and the Government.

I can see the entire scheme going the way of the electronic voting machines.

3Irl promised at the launch event that Clifden would be one of the first to go live, so obviously they've done that.We can now find out if the system will actually work or not.
    The good people of Clifden should have some way to report their experiences of the system to a wider audience.

Perhaps IoffL could set up a website to collate real user experience in the field rather than just looking at "logs" from the basestations. The logs won't give as much meaningful information as is necessary to make proper subjective and objective judgements as to the performance of the system.

Of course real analysts would know this...

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭fergalfrog

yes indeed - if there are any users in Clifden perhaps they could report their experience here.

Since DSL is already there I would think this number is very low.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

yes indeed - if there are any users in Clifden perhaps they could report their experience here.
    If they can get online that is :) They are probably still reinstalling windows for the umpteenth time for 3 support to be sure it's not a fault with the customer equipment! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

I understood from 3 rep at an Irish Rural Link meeting that they would announce the rollout in June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mike0001

As an existing three custom, I can tell you that the technical term for this link should be labelled "WARNING". The tribunal looking into the awarding of the 2nd mobile phone license to EsatDigiPhone is still going on -before I long I think Eamon Ryan is going to be called in front of another to explain how Three - with such a terrible track record in Ireland - managed to 'win' the contract for NBS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mike0001

I'm a long suffering 3 customer - with no alternative.

My area was recently NBS enabled. Great, I hoped, maybe, just maybe,
    I might get some improvement. Maybe even something close to the guaranteed minimum of 1.2 M Fat chance!!

See my youtube post (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQopVYwjjv8)
    of the abysmal speed I'm receiving via this appalling
    service. I had to use a friend b'band to upload it.
    I'm getting at most 0.3 M and 100k upload, with dreadful response times.
    I'm 1.2 miles from the mast with a direct line of sight.

At 3am with the entire country asleep I can get 3M, so let's be clear, it's not any config problems - just shoddy third rate service/quality. The NBS is a sham and a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭cowboy1981

mike0001 wrote: »

I might get some improvement. Maybe even something close to the guaranteed minimum of 1.2 M Fat chance!!

Thanks for this feedback, however painful it is for you. It's really useful to have some direct performance data from someone in an NBS area. It's exactly what we all predicted. You must report this to the DCENR, and not just to 3. They could still save the country €80M of tax payers/EU money.

Did they offer you one of the indoor repeaters?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭fergalfrog

Good on ya Mike for posting your results - hopefully it is the first of many.

Can I ask which NBS designated area are you living in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

My area was recently NBS enabled. Great, I hoped, At 3am with the entire country asleep I can get 3M, so let's be clear, it's not any config problems - just shoddy third rate service/quality. The NBS is a sham and a shame.

Make sure you complain to dublin@analysysmason.com ( the consultants) and that you tell them the name of your electoral district and that the service is not working .

Also cc minister@dcenr.ie and all your local TDs ( note) and of course your local Green Councillor (:D) and your local Fianna Fáil councillors .

Subject . Three NBS Service Not Functional Electoral District of Ballymagoo County Wicklow

'I am bringing to the attention of the scheme consultants, Analysys Mason , together with the Minister of Communications and the various local representatives that the National Broadband Scheme is not performing as specified in the Electoral District of Ballymagoo County Wicklow and that no state or european funds should be disbursed to Three Ireland until the scheme is performing as specified in the contract .'

We don't want three running off with any money , do we :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

AFIK, 3 Ireland have five days to sort your problem. Escalation is to Comreg, but Comreg cannot mandate a satellite solution.

There may be a problem if there are contractual differences between existing 3 Ireland customers and new NBS customers. (i.e. performance guarantees)

It might be worth checking whether their sales system discriminates between the two.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There is a contractual difference if the contract predates the area going 'live' for the NBS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 garrethmcdaid

See my youtube post (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQopVYwjjv8)
    of the abysmal speed I'm receiving via this appalling
    service. I had to use a friend b'band to upload it.
    I'm getting at most 0.3 M and 100k upload, with dreadful response times.
    I'm 1.2 miles from the mast with a direct line of sight.

At 3am with the entire country asleep I can get 3M, so let's be clear, it's not any config problems - just shoddy third rate service/quality. The NBS is a sham and a shame.

Not to suggest that your connection isn't underperforming, but using a single speed test site to arrive at a definitive conclusion re. your download/upload speed isn't accurate.

If you want to use speedtest sites to measure your speed, you need to try out a few at the same time and come up with some sort of average.

In my opinion, the only true way to test your connectivity is to download a large file over a native ftp prompt and read the data transfer rate. That removes all the 'noise' associated with speed test sites.

Furthermore, did you test your latency? ie what PING RTTs are you getting to Irish/UK/US nodes?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

ping www.heanet.ie and download via FTP a linux.iso from them too. At about 3pm, 8pm and 4am

It will make 3G look stunningly bad compared with DSL, Cable, Breeze or Metro Wireless.

My WIRELESS connection at nearly 13km range
    509395961.png
    I find Airwire's server in Galway gives more accurate speed than the choice of Limerick or Dublin, but typically overstates the latency, Distance closer to 300miles than 50 as it has to go to Dublin 1st.
    Latency to Dublin and then back to Galway...
    C:\Documents and Settings\Watty>ping www.heanet.ie -t

Pinging samhain.heanet.ie [193.1.219.57] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=60
    Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=60
    Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=60
    Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=60
    Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=60
    Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=60
    Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=60
    Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=60
    Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=60
    Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=60

Ping statistics for 193.1.219.57:
        Packets: Sent = 12, Received = 12, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 31ms, Average = 21ms
    Control-C

Heanet on same fibre as Digiweb, < 2ms when you ping from in Digiweb Blanchardstown, explains x2 difference with Airwire.

An 8Mbps down, 1Mbps up package at 4pm on a Friday.
    Mast serves Limerick City.

I have never personally used 3G with less than 120ms and typically 170ms, occasionally nearly 2s.

Tests above on WiFi on 7 year old laptop...

Advertisement