Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet Broadband and Phone

Options
  • 28-04-2009 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Im looking for a new broadband/phone provider as my current broadband connection keeps dropping out. Which i think may be due to low SNR.

So I am looking for something other than normal adsl, and i found two providers which can offer me something different, UPC with their cable broadband which should fix the low snr seen as its not the same line and then theres magnet broadband with their adsl2 which should increase performance on the line and bring the snr up a little which should stop the connection dropping.

Onto the broadband though, can anyone confirm that the Finglas exchange is actually enabled with adsl2+ as I cant find any infomation on it been, yet by checking my phone number on the magnet website it says im able to get both the 10mb and 24mb broadband packages.

Also I cant find much infomation on thier phone service pricing. Does anyone know if they have any offers like free calls at off-peak times etc for a certain fee? or do they charge every call at normal rates regardless of the time of day/week?

Thanks for any replys

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

IgsTer wrote: »
    Im looking for a new broadband/phone provider as my current broadband connection keeps dropping out. Which i think may be due to low SNR.

If you decide to stick with ADSL, then Smart Telecom is your best bet. They use ADSL2+, but most importantly the Smart admins are active over on the smart forum and they will usually tweak your lines profile to get the best performance possible if you ask nicely.

I don't think Magnet do that.

Obviously going UPC would avoid this problem altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Sorry i forgot to mention that smart or any other adsl2 providers are not available in my area. Would definetly go with them if they were though as havent heard anything but good things about them.

All I have is a bunch of normal eircom adsl resellers available to me such as eircom, UTV, Perlico and BT etc. But they wont fix the problems im having on my line currently due to them all providing the same thing im on atm.

When it comes to adsl2+ eircom do have it in my exchange but only as business package, BT and Smart adsl2+ arent setup in the exchange, so magnet is the only real adsl2+ broadband i can get going from their website line checker.

So its either UPC which should get rid of the problem for sure seen as its a different line but ive seen other people having problems with them depending on their area and dont know how my line will turn out if i switch. Where as with magnet, speeds, pings and connection are always great I hear but their more expensive than UPC so im trying to see how much it will cost for everything including the phone as it doesnt really explain clearly on their website if you can pay an extra €10 for free calls etc like the older packages offered. and if idd I can actually avail of the adsl2+ from them.

i may have to get in touch with them to see what i can get and for what price.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

All I have is a bunch of normal eircom adsl resellers available to me such as eircom, UTV, Perlico and BT etc. But they wont fix the problems im having on my line currently due to them all providing the same thing im on atm.

Actually Smart just started reselling Eircom Bitstream BB today, including ADSL2+ from all Eircom compatible exchanges:

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/business_broadband/compare.aspx

The 12mb and 24mb products are probably ADSL2+ products, but still pretty expensive (prices exclude VAT).

Magnet or UPC are probably cheaper options.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

I see what ya mean, just did a line checker there and still says its unavailable to me, It may take some more time for it to come up right though. Yeah the prices seem to be a bit higher than that of magnet or upc so I think ill stick with getting either one of those.

Just have to get in touch with them to see what they can offer me

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

bk wrote: »
    If you decide to stick with ADSL, then Smart Telecom is your best bet. They use ADSL2+, but most importantly the Smart admins are active over on the smart forum and they will usually tweak your lines profile to get the best performance possible if you ask nicely.

I don't think Magnet do that.

Obviously going UPC would avoid this problem altogether.

eh...yes we do.....

• Advertisement

So I am looking for something other than normal adsl, and i found two providers which can offer me something different, UPC with their cable broadband which should fix the low snr seen as its not the same line and then theres magnet broadband with their adsl2 which should increase performance on the line and bring the snr up a little which should stop the connection dropping.

Onto the broadband though, can anyone confirm that the Finglas exchange is actually enabled with adsl2+ as I cant find any infomation on it been, yet by checking my phone number on the magnet website it says im able to get both the 10mb and 24mb broadband packages.

Also I cant find much infomation on thier phone service pricing. Does anyone know if they have any offers like free calls at off-peak times etc for a certain fee? or do they charge every call at normal rates regardless of the time of day/week?

Thanks for any replys

We have enabled the Finglas exchange.....if you like i can PM you our phone prices.

Rorser wrote: »
    eh...yes we do.....

Fair enough Rorser, good job.

It is just less visible with Magnet as Magnet don't have a forum and the Smart admins do it over on the Smart forum all the time.

I think Smarts forum is a major advantage to them, as it makes them look more transparent and customer friendly, even if they have to take stick from people like me sometimes :)

Fair enough Rorser, good job.

It is just less visible with Magnet as Magnet don't have a forum and the Smart admins do it over on the Smart forum all the time.

I think Smarts forum is a major advantage to them, as it makes them look more transparent and customer friendly, even if they have to take stick from people like me sometimes :)

To be honest I think most people just call the customer service department or they email it.

PCTV is our major advantage at the moment.

To be honest I think most people just call the customer service department or they email it.

I disagree, given the choice between two similar companies/products, I'll always go with the one with the forum, as it says to me that they are open, transparent and have nothing to hide.

If you go over to the smart forums, you'll see loads of requests from people to have their profiles tweaked, many ask after seeing the first posts on the forum as otherwise they didn't even realise it was possible.

I honestly think Magnet lacks a lot of visibility in the market due to the lack of forums, just look at how few posts there are about Magnet in this forum.

Techies and gamers tend to go with Smart as they have a good reputation due to their forums.
    PCTV is our major advantage at the moment.

What, you mean the product most people haven't even been able to get to work:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055380625

I disagree, given the choice between two similar companies/products, I'll always go with the one with the forum, as it says to me that they are open, transparent and have nothing to hide.

If you go over to the smart forums, you'll see loads of requests from people to have their profiles tweaked, many ask after seeing the first posts on the forum as otherwise they didn't even realise it was possible.

I honestly think Magnet lacks a lot of visibility in the market due to the lack of forums, just look at how few posts there are about Magnet in this forum.

Techies and gamers tend to go with Smart as they have a good reputation due to their forums.

What, you mean the product most people haven't even been able to get to work:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055380625

Lot of sweeping comments (visibility???....techies and gammers????) in this one.....to be honest im not interested in a mud fight. If you know of anyone at all with an issue with any of our products pass them to me or our support line and we will help them through.

• Advertisement

Lot of sweeping comments (visibility???....techies and gammers????) in this one.....to be honest im not interested in a mud fight. If you know of anyone at all with an issue with any of our products pass them to me or our support line and we will help them through.

Not slinging mud, just giving my opinion based on years of watching the ISP market in Ireland, Magnet can take it or leave it.

BTW FYI I have no connection to any ISP or comms company. Just a long time member of IOFFL and interested consumer.

Not slinging mud, just giving my opinion based on years of watching the ISP market in Ireland, Magnet can take it or leave it.

BTW FYI I have no connection to any ISP or comms company. Just a long time member of IOFFL and interested consumer.

Fair enough.....Im just making you aware that some of your statements were on the sweeping side but I do appreciate that it is your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Im with Magnet out in Dunboyne and I find them grand for what I need. Dont do all that gaming stuff but tv / phone / internet is great, just cos its one bill but im looking to move to other supplier. Had problems with them at the start re pricing and since talking to others who left maget and went to seperate suppliers their bill have gone down dramatically
    !! My bill is about 70 - 75 a month which can be a kick in the balls at the end of the month :( But OP if they are in your area get them, my mate swears by them for gaming.

Advertisement