Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting telephone extension lead through walls

Options
  • 28-04-2009 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi there. I want to move my office upstairs and the cheapest way of doing this is to get a 10-15m telephone extension lead and put it through 2 walls. This is no real problem, but I was just wondering if there is a way of taking off the actual telephone connector (plastic thing shown in pic below), passing the wire through a small hole in the wall and then reattaching the connector. Otherwise, I am going to have to drill larger holes to allow the whole connector to pass through....

....any ideas?

P.S. I have investigated the DECT cordless phone option and TBH it seems that to try and garauntee good reception, you need to spend a sizeable amount of cash, which I'd rather avoid. Basically, I spend ~30% of my working time on phone to clients, so can't have sh*tty reception. Also, company won't allow VOIP phones for decentralized users, so that options out as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭hopalong_ie

You can, but you would need to buy a crimp and RJ11 plugs, also an option is to change the point to an RJ45 point and on the end you cut use an RJ45 Point and socket. Probally cheaper to pick both up from ebay. Then Google RJ11/RJ45 Wiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭enmac

Run some cat5 computer cable from the downstairs socket to a new telephone socket upstairs

this gives you a lot a flexibility as you'll have spare wires between both points - could be handy especially if you want to use a spare phone or fax machine or broadband on the line

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Get a surface-mounted phone socket, fix it to the upstairs skirting board near your desk, cut the plug off the extension lead end, feed it though the hole from below, run it along the skirting and into the back of the socket. Neat and tidy.

Advertisement