Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canberra?

Options
  • 28-04-2009 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Back again, trying to narrow down places to think about if we eventually do emigrate. Canberra appears to have a good school and health system..well at least from what I've read. It does say the winters are cold..but compared to Ireland they aren't cold and was thinking it might be a welcome relief to have some colder months. It seems to be less humid too, humidity doesn't agree with me.

Has anyone been or does anyone live in the Canberra area, how do you find it in general?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

dear god ... no

in general it is the most boring place in Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

hussey wrote: »
    dear god ... no

in general it is the most boring place in Australia

I'd have to second that. Never been there, but heard from people who have that it is a very boring place.

Isn't it just full of embassies and the like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭SouthKerry

Back again, trying to narrow down places to think about if we eventually do emigrate. Canberra appears to have a good school and health system..well at least from what I've read. It does say the winters are cold..but compared to Ireland they aren't cold and was thinking it might be a welcome relief to have some colder months. It seems to be less humid too, humidity doesn't agree with me.

Has anyone been or does anyone live in the Canberra area, how do you find it in general?

Whatever you do dont go near Canberra, i had the misfortune to spent 4 days there, dear god it was boring, streets are deserted, no nightlife, very sterile man made place, id prefer to live in Leitrim than canberra and thats saying something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

What is Canberra like for work, particularly construction? Someone told me there is quite alot of new suburb development out there, and with few people from abroad wanting to live there, a decent bit of work available. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Flairpinnedme

if you want someone where that's warm but doesnt have humidity and a pretty cold winter, then it has to be melbourne. there's nothing in canberra

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 GregsAmgryTooth

i lived and worked in canberra for about 7 months. it is very small and quiet but it did grow on me and its nightlife isnt bad. you are only 2.5hrs drive from sydney and you have a great skiing season not too far from there either. the money was good when i was there, now we milked the system, they couldnt get lads to go there so we named our price really and had our accomodation paid for etc. but in short, id say it wouldnt be a bad place to bring up a family at all. has a great irish centre/club there. a lot of brothels there too, i couldnt believe it, the area called Fyshwick is littered with them, for the politicians i suppose!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

Brothels are handy for families alright

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Oh Christ Why would anyone want to live in Canberra

Our Lord and Master the Great John Howard Declined on the offer of a free gaff in Canberra when he becam prime minister.

Now many people (not me tho) consider Johnny Howard to have been the most boring man of ALL TIME, So if HE couldnt bring himself to live in Canberra I think that says a lot.

Advertisement