Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labrador eating it's own...

Options
  • 28-04-2009 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

...poop.

Recently had to mind relative's Lab. Too many times to mention I looked out to see it eating it's own fresh poop, and despite trying to put her off, didn't succeed.

I may have her again for another spell soon - any suggestions as to how I can rectify this (stomach churning) problem?

She is quite a smelly dog as well, which I think is down to this 'eating' habit (our own dog doesn't smell anything like the lab does).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Can be common enough. I think you can get stuff to stop them doing it....but that is about as far as my knowledge goes on the subject unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 djvext

Hey,

Apparently if you feed your dog a few bananas, that will put him off eating his own poop. Bananas....well, don't yield the finest waste produce! Never had the problem with my dog, but i did hear that bananas do work.

As long as your dog doesn't have an allergy, I'd hate to be setting you on the completely wrong path.

Maybe try a small amount first? or just ask your vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Its called coprophagia and is common enough but theres no real definite reason why they do it. Some say its a mineral deficiency, others pyschological or as a hygiene thing. Either way..yeh it is pretty gross to us but its just undigested food to them really.

Feeding him pineapple with his normal food ive heard works sometimes or sprinkle pepper on it. Im sure theres commercial products available aswell.

Basically try and clean up as soon as hes gone to the toilet so theres no option there for him to even do it. He should grow out of it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bobbytwo

These things can just be a habit, often started due to boredom or stress and I have never seen a dog grow out of it unfortunately, if anything it gets worse where they turn around and eat it from their bum before it hits the ground. Sorry...this is gross! Pineapple etc can help with some breeds but Labradors are dust bins and they dont even taste it as they wolf it down. The only way to stop this is to pick up immediately he poohs. Copraphagia can give him a very sick bacteria overgrowth in his stomach so you are right to stop it. Also for your own health...

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

Pinapple is worth a go, also when she goes try distratcing her with a toy and starting a game, this will distract your dog from eating its poo, also clean it up straight away so she doesnt get a chance to do it.

It may be worth looking at the brand you feed as well some dogs eat their poo cause there is alot of undigestive material in it. maybe your dog is finding it hard to get all the nutrients from the food first time through!!!so a change to a different high quality brand of food might help

• Advertisement
Advertisement