Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chance to meet some Living History in June

• 28-04-2009 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

This is my first time posting in the WWII forum. I usually just cause havoc in the US Politics forum. My father served in the US Navy in WWII, and I always was fascinated by his war stories. Since he passed away over a decade ago, I have become somewhat of a WWII buff.

An old USAF fighter pilot friend of the family, who came over to the house for Easter dinner, told me about an event that happens ever year in a town less than 1 hour away from where I live. I must admit I was embarrassed not to have know about the event. He will be part of the B17 Flying Fortress crew that will be at Mid-Atlantic Air Museum’s WORLD WAR II WEEKEND on June 5-6-7, 2009 in Reading, PA (USA). He said it has become the nations largest WWII Air event. He invited me as a guest to the event.

I was amazed at the list of guests that are scheduled to attend, meet and talk with the public, and sign autographs. Some of the historical notables scheduled to be there are:

John Alison - General, USAAF, fighter ace, CBI
    Clarence E. "Bud" Anderson - Colonel, USAAF, triple ace, test pilot
    Richard Cole - Lt Col, USAAF, Doolittle Raider, Plane #1 Co-Pilot
    Thomas Griffin - - Major, USAAF, Doolittle Raider
    Dutch Van Kirk - Major USAAF, 509th Composite Group, Navigator of the 'Enola Gay'
    Jack Widowski - Major USAAF, B-29 Navigator - Atomic Missions
    Hank Heim - Major, USAAF, B-17 Pilot and Pearl Harbor Survivor
    Frank Speer - Captain, USAAF, 4th Fighter Group, P-51 Ace
    Carl Constein - Lieutenant, USAAF Air Transport Command, Himalayas "Hump" C-46 and C-47 Pilot
    Robert Fergueson - Lieutenant, UAAF, P-61 Black WIdow pilot
    Evangeline Coeyman - Lieutenant, Army Nurse Corps, Concentration Camp Witness
    Mike Kuryla - Coxswain Third Class, USN, U.S.S. Indianapolis Survivor
    Paul Gordon - Tech Sergeant, USAAF, 92nd Bomb Group, B-17 Ball-Turret Gunner, POW
    Roy Sherman - Sergeant, USA, POW guard
    Bill Fili - Sergeant, USAAF, 450th Bomb Group, B-24 Engineer/ Top Turret Gunner, Ploesti Raid, POW
    Larry O'Rourke - Sergeant, USA, Manhattan Project
    Vernard Brinzehofe - Corporal, USMC, veteran of Guadalcanal, Coral Sea, Saipan, and Iwo Jima
    Jack Colby - Corporal, USMC, veteran of Marshall Islands, Saipan, and Tinian
    James White - PFC, USMC, Iwo Jima
    Also attending will be eight members of Co E, 506 PIR, 101st Airborne Division, who inspired the movie "Band of Brothers".
    And four members of the "Filthy Thirteen", the demolitions platoon of HQ / 506th PIR, 101st Airborne Division whose story inspired the movie "The Dirty Dozen."

I have to go now, not just for a chance to ride in the B-17G Flying Fortress "Yankee Lady,” but the chance to meet and talk to living legends of WWII, before they are all gone.

http://www.maam.org/maamwwii.html

Advertisement