Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achievement Anguish

Options
  • 28-04-2009 3:27pm

**Contains Half Life 2: ep 2 and CoD: WaW spoilers **

Seriously pissed off this morning. Spent about 4 hours playtime since Sunday morning trying to get the "Little Rocket Man" (for anyone unfamiliar with this achievement, you must pick up a garden gnome at the very start of the game and bring him with you all the way to the end of the 6th level, including levels where you have to drive a car while the little sh1t slides all over the place, put him into a giant rocket and launch him into space) achievement on HL2: EP2. Had been keeping 2-3 save slots all the way through just in case i lost the little fecker (which happened quite a few times) and finally managed to get him to the rocket.

Put him in the little hatch at the top of the nosecone, expecting the achievement there and then but no joy. "maybe the rocket has to actually launch?" I thought to myself, so, seeing as i was going for the other achievement where you must protect the buildings outside the silo, I carried on.

I deliberately saved after each strider kill, and got the silo-building achievment, then watched the rocket launch, but still no achievemnt for little rocket man.

Paused the game, checked youtube, and saw i did everything right, except close the door on the hatch in the nosecone. Checked my saves and realised I'd saved over all the previous saves while doing the silo-bilding one.

Absolutely freaked. Took me ages, and was a pain in the hole, so i'm not doin' it again for a miserable 30g.

Another time on Cod: WaW, doing the 2nd last mission on veteran and got right up to the last bit, where you're storming the steps of the reichstag. Realised it was 9.45 and only 15mins left before the off-licence closes, so saved the game, went the offo, came back and started up the 360. When i went to play WaW it told me there was an update available so i downloaded that and when i tried to continue off from my save point, it said something along the lines of "Your save game is from an older version of this game. To continue, you will have to restart the level from scratch".

I've since went back and completed WaW on veteran but Lil Rocket Man can kiss my hole.

Anyone got anything similar to share?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I would be sickened if I did little rocket man and didn't get the achievement. I didnt attempt it while playing the orange box.
    I did attempt completing the antlion mission without setting foot on the sand and i was sure i didnt like playing, I never got the achievement, but i must have touched the sand accidently at some stage.

I am doing WAW at the moment on veteran and it is a pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Nope, I only ever get achievements during the course of the game. Don't deliberately go out of my way to get them (unless they are piss easy).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

"Saint" Achievement in Dead Rising.
    Its a bloody nightmare, you have to save all the NPC characters from being eaten.
    Takes a crazy amount of planning and you have to do a complete run through on the game, but almost had it, only to fook it up with the games broken save system, saving when I shouldn't have. *sigh*
    Also 'Frank the pimp' is a cmplete pain in the backside as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Can't relate to Little Rocket Man but I learned a lesson in checking up achievement Gamerscore values after Dead Space. Went through the whole Zero G basketball achievement whilst extremely tired (and slightly tipsy!) and at the end of it all got 5 points! Arg! :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Did the antlion beach one - was easy enough after I realised you could touch the sand and not summon antilions. Also once I found the plank on the ridge it was grand.

The Little Rocket Man I didn't bother with - no sure how I could enjoy the game on a play through having to do that. Also - if you knew to bring the gnome all the way how did you not see all the warnings/comments about having to close the door?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SteveDPirate

That sucks about the Little Rocket Man achievement. I had started that for my second play through of Episode 2. I WILL make sure I close the door, if and when I get there.

I got the One Free Bullet cheev in Episode 1. That took a bit of work, and when I came toward the end, I was worried I wouldn't get it, or I'd done something wrong.......... but I got it. It was kinda fun too, just using the Grav gun.

A friend of mine had been trying to kill all the pigeons in GTA IV by following a guide. There's 200 of them. She swears that she followed everything in the book, but there's still one missing. Must've just skipped one by accident, but it's impossible to pinpoint which one without going through the whole thing again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

A friend of mine had been trying to kill all the pigeons in GTA IV by following a guide. There's 200 of them. She swears that she followed everything in the book, but there's still one missing. Must've just skipped one by accident, but it's impossible to pinpoint which one without going through the whole thing again :(

Try ontop of the statue of liberty ;)

Did the one free bullet aswell in Ep1. Actually made the game better. Would have been great if you could keep the super grav gun though. ;) sooooo much fun with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

The One Free Bullet achievement is a good one!

As for frustrating achievements, try Smile in Geometry Wars II.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

I went all the way through ep1 only firing 1 shot (im sodding well convinced anyway), and didnt get the achievement :mad:

• Advertisement

How many points is the One Free Bullet achievement?

I dont think i'd bother with that one.

Dead Space One Gun on Impossible mode for the 2 achievements was good, I was dreading it not unlocking as people had reported on the net, but i got them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

My motto is only get achievements if they are fun to do so and extend the replayaility of the game. You're an achievement whore in my opinion if you do the frustratingly insane ones like "ten million kills without getting killed once or saving your game " type of bull****

Also - if you knew to bring the gnome all the way how did you not see all the warnings/comments about having to close the door?

I accidentally found the gnome on my 1st playthrough having seen it in the list of achievements. When i got to the level where you have to go through the antlions' mines to get the essence to save your one Alyx, I thought that maybe I'd missed the rocket 'cos i was sure they wouldn't make you bring it that far into the game.

I had a look on youtube and watched the video up until the chapter I had reached and your man said on the video "Now this is where the difficulty really begins". I just said "fcuk it" and created a save point there and played the rest of the game through without the gnome, figuring i'd come back to that save point if i was gonna bother.

Because i'd already played through once, i didn't need your man's video again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Asmodean wrote: »
    My motto is only get achievements if they are fun to do so and extend the replayaility of the game. You're an achievement whore in my opinion

Each to their own I suppose.

What about playing games because they give easy gamerscores even if they're really shit ?
    Say like ehm...*peeks at Asmodean gamercard* ...Lost via Domus for 1000GP?

Does that make someone a gamerscore whore?;)

A-Trak wrote: »
    Each to their own I suppose.

What about playing games because they give easy gamerscores even if they're really shit ?

Outed or what?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Asmodean wrote: »
    You're an achievement whore in my opinion if you do the frustratingly insane ones like "ten million kills without getting killed once or saving your game " type of bull****

HA...

facepalm.jpg

No, maybe thats not enough...

double-facepalm.jpg

I'm a self admitted gamerscore whore.

But with good reason, i have a 11 year old brother, and after 4 weeks of getting a 360 had 3000G.

So i couldnt be the older bro who is only on double that after having his for nearly a year!

But gamerscores are great when you want to complete a game enough that when it finally dies online, you have something to aim for before you trade it in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

What about playing games because they give easy gamerscores even if they're really **** ?

I actually liked that game I had no idea about the achievements when I got it. Never said anything about easy points for playing through a game anyway, what I meant was impossibly hard ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

CKWPORT wrote: »
    How many points is the One Free Bullet achievement?

A whopping 40 points(!) Well, actually in comparison to the rest of the achievements in TOB, 40 is a lot.

* points down below at own Gamercard which has a full 1k from Avatar on it *

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I got half way through COD WAW on vetran. Got to a level where a tank was suposed to burst out of a shed but nothing was happening. seemed to be a bug in the game, so I never went back to the game after that. I must finish it on easy though just to unlock that zombie mod.

I got half way through COD WAW on vetran. Got to a level where a tank was suposed to burst out of a shed but nothing was happening. seemed to be a bug in the game, so I never went back to the game after that. I must finish it on easy though just to unlock that zombie mod.

The Zombie mode was unlocked by the last game update, so you dont have to finish the game to play this.

I have 3 levels left on veteran, its way harder than COD4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Finding all the seeds in Lost Odyssey is killing me, I'm convinced the last one's on the boat you take out to Experimental Staff but can't return there :(
    Won't get the all-skills achievements now

Doing one Free Bullet on Ep1 atm, had to shot a lock so there's that used up :)

Epitaph wrote: »
    Doing one Free Bullet on Ep1 atm, had to shot a lock so there's that used up :)
    Yep that's the one bullet you're allowed - be careful when you see turrets at stuff. Some people say you can use turrets and the grenade launcher on the sub-machine gun but others say you cant. Stick to Grav gun, regular thrown grenades and rockets.

I remember the dark sections in the tunnels were the hardest cos finding blocks and stuff heavy enough to do the damage was a bitch. I ended up trying to take down zombines with a fúckin coke can. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

There are some achievements in Lost you don't get on your first normal playthrough, IIRC, unless you have looked it up beforehand and know what to do, so I don't buy this "Oh I didn't realise" shtick. There's backtracking, some stupid little thing you're meant to use to get to a secret area, that sort of thing.

I have had bursts of achievement whoring, I generally don't care these days, but I don't see anything wrong with it, it's a bit like high-scores. Some people care about them, some people don't.

My new thing will be getting gold medals/high scores in Survival in Left 4 Dead. Can't have anyone on my friendslist beating me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'd be gutted after missing out on the Little Rocket Man..actually I'd probably have put my foot through the tv.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

CKWPORT wrote: »
    The Zombie mode was unlocked by the last game update, so you dont have to finish the game to play this.

I have 3 levels left on veteran, its way harder than COD4.

ah right so i havent planed it since the new update.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

I remember the dark sections in the tunnels were the hardest cos finding blocks and stuff heavy enough to do the damage was a bitch. I ended up trying to take down zombines with a fúckin coke can. :p

I ended up toting a concrete block around with me.
    "I love my brick"

• Registered Users Posts: 43 roryok

I don't have 1000 points from any game. Will really only go after the achievements if they're part of the game. not into playing a game 1000 times just for a few points. the best ones are those that are reasonably easy to get but make you do something out of the ordinary. the ones in pgr4 are great for this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

koneko wrote: »
    My new thing will be getting gold medals/high scores in Survival in Left 4 Dead. Can't have anyone on my friendslist beating me ;)

I felt similarly about RE5, I decided that no one on my Friends List would beat me to 1000 and that I wasn't gonna use the egg glitch!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Thought I may aswell stick this in here.

Trying to get 1350 in Fable 2 and I have about 1050, right now but I'm after discovering that to get some of them I have to go to www.fable2.com and watch the show. After which you pick your prize and it turns up in the game allowing you to get the item for an achievement. Fair enough but the feckin show does not work and keeps bringing me to the feckin chicken kicking game, whats the deal with this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Thought I may aswell stick this in here.

Trying to get 1350 in Fable 2 and I have about 1050, right now but I'm after discovering that to get some of them I have to go to www.fable2.com and watch the show. After which you pick your prize and it turns up in the game allowing you to get the item for an achievement. Fair enough but the feckin show does not work and keeps bringing me to the feckin chicken kicking game, whats the deal with this?

I had the same problem. If your region is set to Ireland (Top left corner) change it to United States and it should work fine.

Advertisement