Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Belly fat will not budge

• 28-04-2009 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Im Male, 27, 5' 9" Tall, Weigh about 12.2 Stone and look completely normal for my size without an ounce of fat anywhere on my body except my stomach. Its huge and looks really out of proportion. I look pregnant in some photos!
    The thing is ive been jogging since Janurary. I started off with 2miles every 2nd day. Now im up to running about 7miles every 2nd day(4 days a week!), i feel fit and my endurance is sky high but i weighed myself and ive only lost about a lb, and that prob came from my chest area!

The belly is still looming large, is this normal? Id say i eat normally enough , just breakfast cerial, salads for luch, then a reasonalby large dinner. Possibly 6 pints of beer on the weekend.

Just wondering what will get rid of the belly, i heard running is the best way, i dont do situps because im advised theyed do nothing, only harden beneth the fatty area. Any other advice, as if the running wasnt tough enough!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

breakfast cereal is usably full of sugar, try changing to porridge.

avoid the big evening meal and try and have 5/6 small portions every two to three hours.

Maybe give the pints a miss for a few months.

you will be surprised how quickly a few small mistakes can add up over time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Calories in 6 pints of beer = 1092

Calories burned running for 60 mins at 9 mins a mile = 774.

~~~

I'm no expert but at it's most basic weight loss is burning more calories than you consume. If you're not losing weight then you're not doing that. Have you tried keeping an honest food diary and working out how many calories you eat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

It could be the pints. I had a bit of beer belly and was fairly active. I then went traveling for a year, didn't drink that much and within four weeks or so, the beer belly was gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭thirstywork

defo eat a smaller dinner,bad habit eating large dinner at the end of the day.
    also some cereals are no good.
    maybe you should vary your paces on you run a little.
    eat less and train more !!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Calories in 6 pints of beer = 1092

Guinness's own website gives a figure of 200cals per pint. And Guinness is lower in cals than most lagers. It depends on what you're drinking, and how. 6 pints at one sitting is at least 1200 cals, and may be up to 1500.

Calories used will, of course, depend on the person doing the work. A heavier person will burn more calories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

i found swimming really good for the jellybelly , pints are a disaster for a gut !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

Beer and white bread - Straight to the belly.
    Give up beer and white bread for a while - at least the weekdays - and you should see the difference.
    Also no harm doing sit ups. It will give some definition to the belly area once the weight comes off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Hi pipelaser -

Agree with the posts above. I was 14 stone (my height is just over 6 foot) back in May last year, and came down to just under 12 stone while training for the Dublin Marathon in October. While that was probably dramatic enough of a loss, 14 stone was too heavy and I think my weight now is ideal for me. I have kept it consistent at just under 12 stone since then, including over Christmas while training 3 or 4 times a week, averaging 10k a run, and am still at that level now, training for Cork in June.

The other things that I have done to keep the belly away is avoiding big dinners in the evening, instead maybe having a bowl of couscous or baked potato + beans or a granary bread sandwich. Not starving myself, but eating a bit better than i had been. I've also started doing a little bit of weight training (nothing too crazy - just a couple of dumbells and a few exercises!).

As for beers - couldnt agree more. While beer is beautiful, the danger for me when having a few is not only will I have some beers on my night out, I will typically get a takeaway on the way home. In addition, the hangover usually leads to comfort food... chips and the like!

+1 on the white bread - steer clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Your half way there with the training, get your diet in order and you will see results much quicker. A calorie whether it be white bread, brown bread, beer or whatever food is still a calorie. Some white bread have actually less calories than brown bread. As amadeus has noted the equation is simple burn more than you eat and you will burn off the excess weight. go to the fitness forum were there are stickies, too work out your daily amount off calories required. I recommend you getting this book below, explains all the jazz about food in laymans terms, give guides as too what food you should be eating be a marathon runner, footballer etc. Then at the back has loads of recipes to create the dishes in the book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Food-Fitness-Anita-Bean/dp/0713681284

Advertisement