Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to start - new build planning?

• 28-04-2009 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭

We have a site that is going to be gifted to us, we want to apply for planning permission, just need a guide on what to do first?

I have seen a house design that would suit us, but we would like to re-arrange the interior a bit. I know we would need an architect to do this, but is it worth putting in planning first? Or is it best to finalise everything with the architect first, and then get him/her to put in the planning?

Also in relation to mortgage, what do you do when your doing a self build? I mean I don't know how much it's going to cost yet, do you get estimates from builders now, or how do you find out roughly how much you are going to borrow, or how much you can borrow?

Any other advise people can offer would be appreciated. One other thing would be whether or not to put the OH on my application as he isn't from the area?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Funch o' Bucks

You have a house design that you like but it needs tweeking.... so i do not believe you need an Architect to do this. YOu could get a technician, Surveyor, etc.. someone that has a proven track record in submitting planning applications basically. You are better off getting the plans drawn the way you want to build first as moving windows and doors to suit the internal changes is likely to not comply with your planning permission.

You say about doing a self build- Please dont take offence to this but it seems from your post that you are not familiar with construction/ planning; so therefore i would advise you to employ a project manager (could be your architect / surveyor) ensure they have Professional Indemnity Insurance!! The same person will certify the works on site so you can draw down money from your mortgage at the different stages.

I would also advise that you get construction cost estimates from builders before submitting a planning application as no point getting planning for something you cant afford to build. Of course you should get mortgage approval before you do anything. The bank / lender will let you know what your max borrowing will be in a matter of days. This also shows what you can afford to build financially.

With reggard to the OH... doesnt matter if you put him on it or not. Although i would suggest you just put your name on it cos only you then have to show qualifing criteria (local needs)

1. get mortgage approval.
    2. get quote for build cost from builders. (at least 3 quotes) (remember cheapest quote not always best)
    3. Employ Arch, Surveyor and apply for planning.

Once planning obtained then you are in a postition to begin work.
    Obviously there are other ways of going about things but at least it wont cost you anything until you get to point 3.

Just my 2cents ( more like 20cent hust seen length of my reply)

Hope this helps and im sure others will have other ways of going about the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

There are a million and one posts out there giving tons of info on this site....I would personally check out the stickies and then look through other posts....I hadn't a clue when I started out....considering this will most likely be the largest expenditure of your life it really is time well spent......plenty of pitfalls to avoid and things to consider when building.....don't rush into the first design without understanding pros and cons (IMO)

best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭wardwil

The Big Mistake that we made was not to employ an architect who worked closely with a structural engineer.
    What happened is that we got the house designed by an architect who knew nothing about the structural side although he got us the planning.

This has cost us a fortune on structural plans, changes and RSJ reinforcement so make sure that the house that is designed is structurally sound and has been checked by a stuctural engineer.

I estimate our mistake at about 5k. Not good.
    best of luck
    Will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

You say about doing a self build- Please dont take offence to this but it seems from your post that you are not familiar with construction/ planning; so therefore i would advise you to employ a project manager (could be your architect / surveyor) ensure they have Professional Indemnity Insurance!! The same person will certify the works on site so you can draw down money from your mortgage at the different stages.

I would also advise that you get construction cost estimates from builders before submitting a planning application as no point getting planning for something you cant afford to build. Of course you should get mortgage approval before you do anything. The bank / lender will let you know what your max borrowing will be in a matter of days. This also shows what you can afford to build financially.

Thanks for reply Funch - I did mention self build but only in relation to mortgages, in the sense of self build v's buying a built house.
    I have absolutely no intention of actually 'self building'!

In fairness, I do have a little bit of knowledge, in that my mother has just gone through the whole process and is nearly at the end of that to move in. Her builder is very good, and he would definitely be on my list for getting quotes. But my OH is at me to get onto the architect and see if we have any chances of getting planning permission, first before we go any further, because it took her 4 years to get that far.
    She didn't get builders quotes until she had the PP, but it was a different climate back then because hardly any builder was interested in doing a once off build, they were too busy doing worth while housing estates.
    So I wasn't sure if I should waste their time at this early stage, because its usually the first thing they ask you - 'do you have PP?'
    Also would the builders work of outline drawings that I have re-arranged, or do they generally work of proper architect plans, if its just for a quote?
    I probably wasn't clear when I said that originally but I just had outline drawings and one of the full house on the outside...

Thanks again.

Advertisement