Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second provisional licence but still have to wait 6 months?

• 28-04-2009 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Hi,

I had a provisional licence back in 1999 and never renewed it after it expired.

So, did the theory test and got, what I thought, would be my second provisional licence.

However, turns out, it's considered to be my first, and thus can't sit a test for six months.

Anyone know if the Taxation office made a mistake or new rules mean I must wait six months.

My licence say it's valid from 1999 to 2011 so the taxation office acknowledges that technically it's my second.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    it's valid from 1999 to 2011
    If you have the same number, each subsequent Learner Permit or Driving Licence will have the original date on it and the new expiry date. Your present Learner Permit expires in two years, i.e 2011. If you apply for another it will say 1999 to 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Hi,

I had a provisional licence back in 1999 and never renewed it after it expired.

So, did the theory test and got, what I thought, would be my second provisional licence.

However, turns out, it's considered to be my first, and thus can't sit a test for six months.

You had a provisional license that expired in 01 and wasn't renewed within 5 years, therefore you had to "re-do" the theory test which means you are back at square one. This is considered your first Learner Permit, not your second. The six month rule is still applicable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Cheers ppl.

Will just have to wait, as ridiculous as the six month rule is.

Mine expired but I renewed it within the 5 years so I don't have to wait 6 months right ??

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Mine expired but I renewed it within the 5 years so I don't have to wait 6 months right ??
    Yes, that's correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 moneypenny79

my 3rd provisional expired in Dec 2007 but i've never taken a driving test having cancelled my first appointment so i've no proof of having sat a test except for a letter from 2007 giving me the date and time of that test. will i have to start from a 1st provisional again?

thanks for that but when i tried to book the test at drivingtest.ie it would let me proceed without a valid current licence number. i put in the old number from my lapsed licence but it says "can't be found". it's a total catch 22 situation

thanks for that but when i tried to book the test at drivingtest.ie it would let me proceed without a valid current licence number. i put in the old number from my lapsed licence but it says "can't be found". it's a total catch 22 situation

1. Are you using the correct number? Licences have two seperate sets of numbers printed on them. It is not the one in red print beginning with a letter.

2. Try applying in the traditional manner.

• Advertisement

thanks for the advice, i contacted the RSA this morning and they confirmed that i have to apply by post as the online facility is only for those with a current provisional licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rose_2

just as a matter of interest does anyone know the case if you've lost your first provisional licence?!it has expired, definitely not by more than five years but I cant seem to find it, how do you go applying for a new one and will I have to wait 6months then for a test?any input appreciated, cheers!:)

rose_2 wrote: »
    just as a matter of interest does anyone know the case if you've lost your first provisional licence?!it has expired, definitely not by more than five years but I cant seem to find it, how do you go applying for a new one and will I have to wait 6months then for a test?any input appreciated, cheers!:)
    Just apply for another explaining that you have already had a 1st Provisional Licence but have lost it. They should be able to find your details and use you previous Licence number. You should then be issued with a 2nd Learner Permit and will not be required to wait for 6 months.

Advertisement