Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do ya think will ever see an actual good wrestling game?

• 28-04-2009 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

Do you? The smackdown games are awful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

I doubt it,the last smackdown game I couldn't stop playing was the one that had rvd,booker t and the alliance guys on it for the first time.
    When I heard that general manager mode wasn't going to be featured on the latest game I decided there and then that I wouldn't buy it.

was the tna game any use at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

If you're into the fantasy booking aspect of games, rather than the arcade fighting, then the Total Extreme Wrestling (or is it Total Extreme Warfare?) games are well worth a look.

Not quite the Championship Manager of wrestling .. but it gives it a fair old whack and you'll spend hours upon hours trying to build your roster/promotion/card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

WCW/NWO Revenge, WWF Wrestlemania 2000 and WWF No Mercy are all really good wrestling games.

Some of the Fire Pro games are supposed to be good too, but I've not played them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

never heard about or saw that game!
    sounds good,any idea where I could buy it?

the total extreme wrestling game I mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Oh no, not this again!
    Ladies and Gentlemen - the 2009 "Will we ever get another No Mercy type game" debate is now under way.

The answer is essentially no until THQ go under and WWE have to find people who can actually use their brains and ears and listen to what their customers want when it comes to video games.

King Of Colliseum II was probably the last decent wrestling game I played on PS2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

As SR has said..... just remake No Mercy & i'm happy!

The Total Extreme Wrestling games are the latest Extreme Warfare Revenge games aren't they?

The original EWR games are brilliant.

amull87 wrote: »
    As SR has said..... just remake No Mercy & i'm happy!

Not gonna happen.
    It's nine years old, get over it and move on! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

hahaha remember the season mode in smackdown2?

you could just skip and skip through the whole thing... next thing youd be ten years in and all sorts of different bizarre combinations would be talking in the car park, ie mankind and tory.. dvon and kane...

of course all this would have ZERO impact on the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

does this not belong in the 'games' section Shawn? =]

I loved No Mercy, I never understood why 'Ho' was worth like 500,000 dollars in the game, Always wondered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Only Smackdown game I ever liked was "shut your mouth". It was the only one that had a decent storyline.

Can't compete with the old N64 games though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

The Fire Pro games are great. It's more like being an actual wrestler. You've got to start off slowly and build the match up to big moves. Making the crowd react is the goal of the game. You can sort of book your own promotions on it too. The graphics won't win any awards but they can easily be overlooked once you get into the game

Voltwad wrote: »
    does this not belong in the 'games' section Shawn? =]

Backseat mod again and you'll belong in the 'infracted' or 'banned' section =]

Fozzy wrote: »
    The Fire Pro games are great. It's more like being an actual wrestler. You've got to start off slowly and build the match up to big moves. Making the crowd react is the goal of the game. You can sort of book your own promotions on it too. The graphics won't win any awards but they can easily be overlooked once you get into the game

I must be the only person who didn't get excited when a firepro game was announced for the PS2 a few years back. I could never play it. The diagonal view of the ring was too off putting.

Although i knew several people who swore by it and killed several weekends playing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Cactus Col wrote: »
    If you're into the fantasy booking aspect of games, rather than the arcade fighting, then the Total Extreme Wrestling (or is it Total Extreme Warfare?) games are well worth a look.

Not quite the Championship Manager of wrestling .. but it gives it a fair old whack and you'll spend hours upon hours trying to build your roster/promotion/card.

Does this cost money or what's the story with it?

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    The answer is essentially no until THQ go under and WWE have to find people who can actually use their brains and ears and listen to what their customers want when it comes to video games.

Shouldn't take too long then, should it?

Haven't WWE pretty much made it clear that they aren't renewing with them? They already sent JAKKS packing. It all stems from a series of court cases a few years ago I believe.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6110915.html

It was dismissed and WWE pretty much made sure they'd get rid of both as soon as they could. On January 1st 2010 Mattel will be making WWE Figures. Not too sure what's up with the THQ contract though (ie; I don't know when it expires, but im pretty sure Legends of WrestleMania was a way of trying to squeeze a little more $$ out of it before it ends).

EDIT:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=20060

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Does this cost money or what's the story with it?

Yup ... think it costs about 30 euros ...

It's sold at www.greydogsoftware.com

http://pc.gamezone.com/gzreviews/r35282.htm and there's a review for it.

It doesn't come with real world promotions/wrestlers on it, however they can be added to it reasonably easily, and there's a bit of a mod community on the grey dog forums, so you should be able to get relatively up to date mods, as well as mods for different generations of wrestling (attitude era) or fantasy based mods.

But if you want a (very) basic version of what's on offer you could do a search for extreme warfare revenge. The chap who makes TEW used to make EWR for free a few years ago.

Not gonna happen.
    It's nine years old, get over it and move on! :)

It actually has happened a couple of times . The Legends of wrestlemania controls are based on No Mercy with the light medium and Strong grapples. It is the same with Wrestle Kingdom 1 and 2 . With LOWM They have also thrown in a few extra features including chain grapples.

Still alot of wrestling game fans want the No Mercy/Wrestlemania 2000 type engine back and it looks like their dreams will be coming through as a new game will be released in Japan which will use this game engine with more moves more wrestlers ect ..

It actually has happened a couple of times . The Legends of wrestlemania controls are based on No Mercy with the light medium and Strong grapples. It is the same with Wrestle Kingdom 1 and 2 . With LOWM They have also thrown in a few extra features including chain grapples.

Good point actually, I hadn't thought of that. However LOWM felt more like Akklaim's LOW series than NM. That's just how it felt to me anyway.
    Still alot of wrestling game fans want the No Mercy/Wrestlemania 2000 type engine back and it looks like their dreams will be coming through as a new game will be released in Japan which will use this game engine with more moves more wrestlers ect ..

Def Jam - Fight For New York was the closest we got to a No Mercy style game if you ask me. Only the fighters moved a little too fast/arcadey. But it was the most fun i had in a video game in years, while THQ were rehashing out the same old sh*t with the SVR series. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

The wrestling system was not what made No Mercy good, it was the storyline. You put that storyline into any wrestling game you've got effectively just as good a game. It was more of an RPG than anything else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Yup ... think it costs about 30 euros ...

It's sold at www.greydogsoftware.com

http://pc.gamezone.com/gzreviews/r35282.htm and there's a review for it.

It doesn't come with real world promotions/wrestlers on it, however they can be added to it reasonably easily, and there's a bit of a mod community on the grey dog forums, so you should be able to get relatively up to date mods, as well as mods for different generations of wrestling (attitude era) or fantasy based mods.

But if you want a (very) basic version of what's on offer you could do a search for extreme warfare revenge. The chap who makes TEW used to make EWR for free a few years ago.

Did you buy this yourself? Its the first I've heard of it, looks wicked interesting

• Advertisement

Bubs101 wrote: »
    The wrestling system was not what made No Mercy good, it was the storyline. You put that storyline into any wrestling game you've got effectively just as good a game. It was more of an RPG than anything else

No it was the wrestling system and the AI that captured alot of peoples attention. Not saying that the storyline was anygood, because i dont actually remember it.

No it was the wrestling system and the AI that captured alot of peoples attention. Not saying that the storyline was anygood, because i dont actually remember it.

What captured my attention was the branching storyline in which everything you did had an effect and it could go in any direction. My personal favourite was when i won the hardcore belt with Kurt but just won all my matches without weapons in the ring. I got a branching storyline about being a clean hardcore champion with Blackman or something. That's why I loved the game

Im downloading the demo of TEW 2008 now, admittedly while forcing some humble pie down my throat.

dunno how long it will last or anything.

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Did you buy this yourself? Its the first I've heard of it, looks wicked interesting

Well, I've been playing them for a good 5 years now, and the latest release is the best. Yup I've bought it. But I'd recommend to anyone that they download the demo first, as I know it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Wrestling Mpire is a cool little game too. It looks terrible but has a cood career mode. TNA WWE UFC ROH JAPAN and UK . You can actually switch between shows earn more money . Take Steroids ect ....

Despite how it looks its fun .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

I think wrestling games will have a lot to live up to graphic and gameplay wise with the new UFC game. I downloaded Legends of Wrestlemania demo and it is crap. Andre takes up half the ring, completely off scale and the movement is **** too.

dancor wrote: »
    I think wrestling games will have a lot to live up to graphic and gameplay wise with the new UFC game. I downloaded Legends of Wrestlemania demo and it is crap. Andre takes up half the ring, completely off scale and the movement is **** too.

To be fair, LOW is supposed to be arcadey and is an unfair comparison to the UFC game.

MMA games have a lousy track record too, especially UFC ones. So i wouldn't say thay wrestling games hav a lot to live up to just yet. A demo is one thing, but let's see how the whole game pans out when the thing is fully reviewed.

SVR isn't so much bad, it's just stale and done to death. Here Comes The Pain was deemed the best out of the lot of them back in 2003. Problem with that was, they never changed much since, other than improved graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

SVR isn't so much bad, it's just stale and done to death. Here Comes The Pain was deemed the best out of the lot of them back in 2003. Problem with that was, they never changed much since, other than improved graphics.

Gotta disagree there. Here Comes The Pain was the last WWE game I played until I got SvR 2008 cheap a few weeks ago and there isn't a single thing about 2008 that I prefer over HCTP. They've changed quite a bit between the two but all for the worse.

Jolt2007 wrote: »
    Gotta disagree there. Here Comes The Pain was the last WWE game I played until I got SvR 2008 cheap a few weeks ago and there isn't a single thing about 2008 that I prefer over HCTP. They've changed quite a bit between the two but all for the worse.

You think? The only thing I noticed was the control layout had changed.

• Advertisement

Controls are pretty big thing imo, changes the whole game. There's no atmosphere either. In HTCP, it felt somewhat like you were in a WWE event, now it all feels dead if that makes sense? The career mode is worse too. Least before things made a little sense from month to month, linking together. In 2008 I became number 1 contender then suddenly I'm in a mid card feud then fighting for a movie role :confused:

Controls are pretty big thing imo, changes the whole game. There's no atmosphere either. In HTCP, it felt somewhat like you were in a WWE event, now it all feels dead if that makes sense? The career mode is worse too. Least before things made a little sense from month to month, linking together. In 2008 I became number 1 contender then suddenly I'm in a mid card feud then fighting for a movie role :confused:

I can't say i understand your points personally, that said, i don't feel video games in general as much as i did six years ago either, so that could be an overall feeling of games in general, rather than the WWE series.

2008 was a bad one to return to, you should have either nabbed 2007 or 2009. 2008 is definitely the worst out of the current generation bunch.

I can't say i understand your points personally, that said, i don't feel video games in general as much as i did six years ago either, so that could be an overall feeling of games in general, rather than the WWE series.

2008 was a bad one to return to, you should have either nabbed 2007 or 2009. 2008 is definitely the worst out of the current generation bunch.

Sorry for not making sense. Guess what I'm saying is in HCTP it was like the production was that of a WWE event but in 2008 I got the impression it was just some big names appearing at a local indie event.

I had just started playing HCTP again a few months back and enjoyed it before getting 2008 so it's not that. Doesn't hurt the roster was so much better back then too I guess, but I'll certainly give 2007 or 2009 a try sometime, thanks for the recommendation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭conorlechance

I would like to see a top sin tennis style wrestling game. you know, indy event arenas, bingo halls and just madness like massive ladders and stuff. wrestling games are far too restrctive. i would like to see movesets become complex and feel free when playing, also AI much smarter and reflecting real life styles.

I had just started playing HCTP again a few months back and enjoyed it before getting 2008 so it's not that. Doesn't hurt the roster was so much better back then too I guess, but I'll certainly give 2007 or 2009 a try sometime, thanks for the recommendation.

At least give 09 a rental, for me, it's the most playable out of all of the SVR series that came out for current generation consoles. While 07 can probably be picked up for about a tenner.

07 is a good laugh to play with a few mates. Definitely the best out of the current crop.

Jesus this TEW is SO indepth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

07 is a good laugh to play with a few mates. Definitely the best out of the current crop.

Jesus this TEW is SO indepth.

Yup, i downloaded it also.... it's hard because you must try and familiarise yourself with all the wrestlers. Did someone say that you can download actual wrestlers to the game???

i dunno if that applies to the demo version.

i got a D for my first show!!!

You can get mods for the game here

I think they'll work with the demo ... the only real difficulty I have with mods is getting the picture packs to work.

It can take a while to get decent scores ... but once you get into it it's very addictive!

hahaha im into it now.

After the first show it was out with the pen and paper, getting all methodical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

You can get mods for the game here

I think they'll work with the demo ... the only real difficulty I have with mods is getting the picture packs to work.

It can take a while to get decent scores ... but once you get into it it's very addictive!

Lol, as usual i can't get it to work. Created a new database, then downloaded and extracted the file and copied it to the wwe file in TEW. When i go into TEW though there is nothing in the WWE database. Any ideas what i'm doing wrong?

• Advertisement

Just a note to say that Total Extreme Wrestling 2005 will be made freeware at the start of July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Just a note to say that Total Extreme Wrestling 2005 will be made freeware at the start of July.

Sweet, wouldn't mind a look at that myself, feel free to post links or whatever once it goes freeware folks (NOT before, let's not be silly)

****ing A. Was going to buy one of the newer ones but I'll just get this and wait for the inevitable good mod. Games like Championship Manager have modding communities so good you never need to buy a new one unless you care about the little updates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Is this a kind of a booking simulator, or what?

bump/link:D

Bubs101 wrote: »
    bump/link:D

Haven't been able to get on here probably for the last couple of days ... but just discovered I have access again.

It will be released today at some point.

It'll probably be announced on their website here:
    http://www.greydogsoftware.com/home.php

with links to where you can download it from.

FYI ... It'll come with a fictional wrestling database on it, so people will probably want to try download some real world mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I have Fire Pro Wrestling for the Dreamcast. It's brilliant. Graphics are terrible, gameplay brilliant!

Advertisement