Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last.fm to charge €3 per month for radio here

Options
  • 28-04-2009 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

I have been a radio listener on last.fm for over 3 years. Got an email out of the blue today to tell me that I now have to pay €3 a month for this service.

They are not charging this to users in the UK, US and Germany, and didn't mention this in the email.

:mad::mad::mad:

Not happy about this to say the least as I use it everyday on my mobile! Grrr!

I do have access to a UK private proxy and the radio works through that, but still most people wouldn't know how to set that kind of stuff up.

€3 per month may not sound like much here, but it certainly is in many other bloody countries.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

It's a great service - €3 a month is completely meaningless for something you use everyday, just pay it. You also get some extra benefits as a subscriber which are pretty cool, I spent most of Sunday listening to a playlist comprised entirely of the songs I favourited over the last 6 months, was really enjoyable.

I'm guessing they are being forced to charge this in Ireland for legal reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I realise it is cheap, but more than that it is a cheap shot at the last.fm community. I have a friend who is Latvian and lives over there, the three bucks is a hefty price to pay to go from nothing for him and tens of thousands of others I would imagine.

Internet geographical descrimination pisses me off. I wonder if this would have happened before the big boys in CBS stepped in? I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

lol pay for music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

It's definitely worth it if you use all aspects of last.fm like I do. I've had a subscription for a couple months now (though I, nor anyone else, pays for it, woo!) and it is probably one of the best things I've encountered on the internet.

I love having my music library at my fingertips through any web browser, I love the recommendations, loved tracks, playlists, being able to add an artist's entire playable discography to my library.

Completely underrated program tbh, and I find a lot of people don't like it simply because they don't know how to use it to its full extent, which is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

Fúck that....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

That's a bit of a balls. Haven't used last.fm in a while, used to use it everyday when I was working. I didn't get any email though...
    Could someone be having you on?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Seriously pissed off about this..

I used to stream the music to foobar2000 when I'm on the pc and mobber on my mobile.. was so handy..

Even if they left the recommendations station open to everyone I'd be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Feckit. We're getting it in the neck again. They've already got access to niceties in the UK like Spotify and the Amazon mp3 downloads. I'm not sure yet if I'll pay the €3. I've discovered new music through the radio stations but it's a bit galling that we're being targeted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

This is terrible. I mean cmon, the whole point of it is that you don't have to pay. guess I'll be staying away. spotify ftw!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

This is terrible. I mean cmon, the whole point of it is that you don't have to pay. guess I'll be staying away. spotify ftw!
    Says it isnt available in my country.. :/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Jonathan wrote: »
    Says it isnt available in my country.. :/

it's not but it is, google it

Spotify > last fm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I can still use last.fm through the client and browser via the proxy but it the mobile functionality I really miss.

If only I can find a SSH tunneling application for Symbian Series 60 Nokia phone then all would be shiny and pretty.;)

I definetly don't think someone is having me on as I have to subscribe if I visit the site on and irish IP address, and the email is from last.fm support. There may be some sort of free time limit on how long you can use the radio, mine was getting on for 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

there is lots of alternatives

try Grooveshark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

I can still use last.fm through the client and browser via the proxy but it the mobile functionality I really miss.

If only I can find a SSH tunneling application for Symbian Series 60 Nokia phone then all would be shiny and pretty.;)

I definetly don't think someone is having me on as I have to subscribe if I visit the site on and irish IP address, and the email is from last.fm support. There may be some sort of free time limit on how long you can use the radio, mine was getting on for 4 years.

It's a new change they've brought in to cover costs. Advertising in USA, Germany and UK cover their costs for those countries so they avoid the charge. It was supposed to come in sooner but too many people complained saying it was short notice and they didn't have enough methods to accommodate people paying subscription other than credit card which many people won't have considering a huge portion of users are teenagers.
    They added features like being able to pay by paypal and you can pay for a friend i.e. if you mate has a credit card you can ask them to pay your subscription and just give them the money in person. They might be adding feature of being able to pay by SMS which would be fairly handy,
    You can use the radio for 30 tracks before the new subscription kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

That sucks. There are alternatives, but I liked how it scrobbled the music you listened to and set up "my radio" which others don't seem to have.

Advertisement