Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GOW 1 OR 2?

• 28-04-2009 5:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

hey i have gow 1 but only use it to play vs. mode online.. which is great..i only started playing it a couple of months ago anjd love it but im getting a bit bored with it now...

whats the online vs. mode like on the gow 2? Is it pretty much the same or is it likely to kepp me entertained for another while? Thanks.

am i likely to pick this up 2nd hand for under 20 quid?(got gow 1 second hand in Game for 12.99)

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

GoW2 in my opinion, a different game online from GoW.
    They changed the weapons and several of your old tactics are now redundant. Lag is a major issue and smoke grenades are just annoying. Its still fun, and I think if you can find it for €30 its worth it for the single player campaign and playing wingman online with a friend. If that isnt your thing, its prob not worth it. The lag online makes the some of the matches so hard to enjoy and it's painful to think that this was based on GoW.
    Such a pity..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭hosi

Well... GOW2 looks a lot better but be prepared for the shotgun lag... It happens very often, therefore if you use the shotgun as your primary weapon you will need to revise the way you use it. In GOW2 you can check current locations of your teammates on the map during the game. I think also that the matchmaking in GOW2 is more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SteveDPirate

The lag is really annoying. When I first started playing I thought I was doing something wrong that I was playing so badly. You really notice the difference if you get a good connection, and your shotgun actually works properly instead of having a second delay.

I like all the new modes (guardian etc) too. I think the matchmaking could be better though. Too often I've been stuck in a team of absolute noobs, against a team of GoW 2 ninjas and it becomes completely unfair.

But if you get balanced teams, it can become great fun. Oh, and Horde is super fun. :pac:You can just jump in a game and have fun blasting locust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

As I have said in a few other topics to have an enjoyable game of GOW2 you need to have a party of 5 people from ireland with a host who has a 7mb line or higher
    Chances are your party will either get host or be matched to a host with quite a good connection.
    Now even with a bit of lag I manage to have good games because of being used to it you can actually shoot where your target is going to be and mince them out of it with one shot:)

Anyways Gears of War 2 looks alot better then GOW1 its alot of fun bit of getting used to though.
    The story line is superb even if you dont like the multiplayer its still great
    The smokes are quite handy while annoying every once in a while they are still incredibly useful.

One piece of advice before you play the Multiplayer in GOW2 plays the campaign or you will be a bit out of depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SteveDPirate

Evolute wrote: »
    to have an enjoyable game of GOW2 you need to have a party of 5 people from ireland with a host who has a 7mb line or higher
    Chances are your party will either get host or be matched to a host with quite a good connection.

Well I'll throw my hat into the ring (GT: SteveDPirate), and if you're in a party and I'm online, please send me an invite and I'll gladly play. I have alot of Boardsies on my friends list, but no-one has ever suggested we do this.

I have a 4mb connnection. I hosted a 4 player Horde match, and it suffered a little on the harder levels.

• Advertisement
Advertisement