Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting MMA, fitness and such

Options
  • 28-04-2009 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, been spending the last few days looking over pretty much every gym in Dublin I can find, checking em all out, reading pretty much every thread on here etc and have one or two in mind. Thing is I'm wondering should i get my fitness, cardio up a bit more first before starting into MMA. I have a slight background with some martial arts though with college, work etc etc, excuses excuses they've fallen to the wayside. So has my fitness and I'm out of shape. Now I'm thinking I'l get back in shape surely with the training etc but do you guys think it would be a good idea to get back in shape a bit beforehand or just go and get going now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

I would say just go.
    People always say to us "oh im gonna get fit first" but when they finally arrive at the gym they are punctured after the first class anyway. The training is completly different from any other CV or weight training.
    Just jump in. Within a month of serious training in an MMA gym you will feel the benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I agree, you are going to be exhausted after your first class, no matter how much prep you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

I agree with the above.

You're gonna be wrecked but the real trick is to get through it and still turn up to the next class. Keep yourself hydrated, don't pull any muscles, have fun. Even if you're wrecked for days just keep with it. No pain no gain. Your fitness will never be ready for mma unless you train for mma. I'm in the same boat actually cause I couldn't train for 3 months but no matter how much weights or running I did before I went back I was still wrecked when I went back last week. Wrecked in a Good Way tho!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Most good gyms have dedicated beginner classes that expect folks to not have any fitness when they start. You will be tired after your first MMA class even if you were very fit to begin with. The reason for that is - without experience in MMA you will be unable to relax, as such you will burn far more energy in classes in your first couple of weeks than you will later in your training when you have adjusted mentally.

An important distinction between beginners classes and intermediate/advanced level is that if you need to sit out of a drill cause you are tired nobody will care. I actively encourage beginners, in their first couple of weeks training, to sit out as their body dictates. As posters have already mentioned take plenty of fluids, rest when you need to, and you will be fine in your first few classes. Pretty soon you will be able to enjoy the classes more as your body adjust to the different demands that MMA will place on it.

Best of luck and enjoy your training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

Cool guys. Yeah I expected to be be totally f*ucked after a clas but just wanted to see how bad haha. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Just like everyone above said, you'll feel tired after your first foray into MMA, so don't worry about that.

As regards conditioning for MMA, you should check out CrossFit. CrossFit, with a few modifications, is excellent preparation for MMA. Running, is not.

Advertisement