Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick question- datestamps

• 28-04-2009 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A friend of mine likes a few photos I've taken- problem for him is that they have the datestamp on. I have no idea how to remove the stamps after them being taken- is it possible to do so? The camera I'm using is a Canon Digital Ixus 980 IS. Thanks for you help ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

if the date stamp has been added by your camera then you would need to edit it out through 'cloning' on the image. To do this you need some sort of image editing software such as photoshop or the open source 'gimp' software. There is a clone tool in each of these packages.

Depending on how complex the background is on your photograph this can be really easy (for example if the date stamp is on a clear blue sky) or darn difficult, if the date stamp is across a detailed part of someone's physical features.

So that the jist of what you'd need to do.

Cheers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

crop also...alot quicker...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

There are digital cameras that actually plaster the date across the front of the image ?? :eek: Which genius though up that Idea :confused: I used to think FILM cameras that did that were irritating enough (although I can semi understand why some people might do it on film, pre-exif days and all) ...

For the OP, either of the above is a good idea. Cropping is probably the easiest option if the date is unobtrusive and doesn't obscure anything important. And turn off the 'feature' on your camera immediately :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

In many digital cameras you can turn on/off the datestamp in the image. It can be useful, but can also be annoying.

Paulw wrote: »
    In many digital cameras you can turn on/off the datestamp in the image. It can be useful, but can also be annoying.

But whats the point ? its not as though you don't have the full EXIF embedded in the image anyway. I mean for FILM images then ok, its pretty ugly but its the only way of doing it, but for digital images its really unnecessary.

Actually I have a groovy back for my Nikon F4 that imprints shooting information between the frames, date, time, F/stop, shutter speed, and focal length IIRC. It's truly pre-exif exif :D

• Advertisement

But whats the point ? its not as though you don't have the full EXIF embedded in the image anyway.

Not all cameras (especially P&S) embed the full EXIF.

Not all cameras (especially P&S) embed the full EXIF.

oh right. They'd all at the very least embed the date and time though, right ?

oh right. They'd all at the very least embed the date and time though, right ?

Can't say I've checked them "all", :D but would assume that date/time would be standard.

Of course, an edit of a photo (jpg) would then change the date/timestamp of teh file.

Can't say I've checked them "all", :D but would assume that date/time would be standard.

Of course, an edit of a photo (jpg) would then change the date/timestamp of teh file.

Ach, you know what I mean, that there'd be the normal "taken on" EXIF field in the JPG. I have a couple of pictures scattered here and there on my machine here in work taken by a couple of different compact P&S's (other peoples kids and the like, I can't imagine why people think I find OTHER kids interesting. Sheesh) and they all have some "date picture taken" field in the data.

But we digress ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

That's fantastic, thank you all for your replies. When I get home later I'll post the photos, hopefully without the datestamp!

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I'm a newbie when it comes to GIMP so progress regarding datestamp removal will have to wait a while. But I know everyone (ha!) is waiting for the photos so I thought I'd post two of them up anyway.

2766784240077968554QtuOJj_th.jpg

2781554540077968554FXHysS_th.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

if you send me the pics ill remove it for you!

That'd be great, PM me your email and I'll do so.

Must post some up in the random photos thread, though they're making me feel inadequate :-(

klong wrote: »
    That'd be great, PM me your email and I'll do so.

Must post some up in the random photos thread, though they're making me feel inadequate :-(

Details on the way :)

Right, done. hope they're ok... i also took the liberty of removing the people from the bridge, hope you dont mind :)

Tallon

Click pic for full screen....

3523096588_8c708348c0.jpg?v=0

3522294433_fa5b566b03.jpg?v=0

Advertisement